Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:23 pm
Post subject: Vale Bill Leak (1956-2017)Reply with quote

Very sad news has emerged that talented cartoonist Bill Leak has passed away at the age of 61 from a suspected heart attack.

Vale Bill Leak.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/bill-leak-dies-aged-61-of-suspected-heart-attack/8343136

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The sort of cartoonist who would make one invoke Voltaire's famous principle through gritted teeth. To be honest, I was kind of amazed that a mainstream newspaper would publish such hateful garbage (although to be fair, Leunig in The Age is just as unhinged). Sad for anyone to die at such a young age, but I hope his legacy will be a brief footnote in the history of Australian political cartooning.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 pm

hateful garbage or provocative satirist?

Eye of the beholder?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Same category as Stan Zemaniak. Nobody noticed his passing except his wife...

Unlike Arthur Millers Eddie, I do not mourn for him "with a certain alarm". It's not worth it.

Quote:
Leunig in The Age is just as unhinged

Wrong wrong wrong. Anyone who remembers Leunig's towering cartoon about the 1974 Election, with the immortal quotes such as:

Quote:
Malcolm Makerras is p-ling himself, if those b-st-ds get in that's it! and greed and ignorance have won, I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

A masterwork which makes up for a lot of transgressions.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 pm

nine Walkley awards and 19 Stanley awards . Bit more than a hack.

Good article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/bill-leak-a-satirist-who-played-hard-and-took-no-prisoners/8344732

Quote:
For a long time he was accused of being a rabid lefty; more recently he has been taking pot-shots at the would-be censors of the same group who used to love him when he was so rude about the Howard government.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Good article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-10/bill-leak-a-satirist-who-played-hard-and-took-no-prisoners/8344732

Quote:
For a long time he was accused of being a rabid lefty; more recently he has been taking pot-shots at the would-be censors of the same group who used to love him when he was so rude about the Howard government.

Those who know Fred Negro know that cartoonists by nature love a good piss take. Leak no different.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm

^

I've met him, had a caricature done by him. Won't pretend i know him but seemed like a good bloke.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Good article

Quote:

More like a free speech hero!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 pm

There is clearly a fearless core of uncomfortable truth in much of what he published, and that is the cartoonist's job. I didn't think he was especially witty or paradoxical, though, which is the other hallmark of a great cartoonist. The 2007 election "tsunami" cartoon is a good example of a great political cartoon, but there are not so many of these.

At least he was prepared to depict things that fashionable opinion would rather not have discussed. That is a credit to him.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:09 pm

A credit to him is a terrible thing to waste.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:23 am

The club has paid their respects in the passing of Trevor Grant on the club's website.

Quote:
The President, Board, staff and members of the Collingwood Football Club would like to express their sadness at the passing of respected journalist and passionate Collingwood man Trevor Grant.

A sports journalist for more than 40 years, Grant worked in Melbourne newspapers between 1968 and 2008. For years, Victorians read his work in the Herald Sun, the Sunday Herald Sun, the Sunday Press, the Sunday Herald, The Age, the Sporting Globe and Newsday.

A passionate Collingwood supporter, Grant was one of the five-man panel that selected Collingwood's Team of the Century in 1997. It was the first Team of the Century to be named by an AFL club.

The club would like to extend its deepest sympathies to the Grant family.

Side by Side We Stick Together.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-07/vale-trevor-grant

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:13 am

stui magpie wrote:

Good article

Quote:

Larry Pickering won four Walkleys too, I believe – say no more about that! I guess mainstream newspaper cartoonists live in a pretty small fishbowl.

Perhaps I was a little overly harsh on Leunig... I have enjoyed some of his stuff in the past, I admit. But I found Leak's cartoons stylistically ugly and worse politically (perhaps more so for his cartoons about gays and Muslims than the one about Indigenous fathers that landed him in so much trouble, although that too was pretty repugnant).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:54 am

^ I don't know how anyone could not like Leunig. Perhaps I have not seen enough of his recent work, but he is surely one of the most whimsically satisfying cartoonists ever. I don't especially agree with his world view, but he has a profoundly original mind and something to say about life that seems far above Bill Leak.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:56 am

I find Leunig often politically didactic and that his whimsy becomes a little less cute when he's asking us to take him seriously (see his anti-vaccination cartoons etc.). But I do have a book of some of his '70s work which I feel is more impressive and interesting than what he's doing today, and I do understand the regard he is held in.

Perhaps I find the political cartoon a strange art form in general – it's great at pointing out hypocrisy and irony, but otherwise I find it the art form that is most naturally disposed to propaganda. Leak's work in particular rarely seemed funny or insightful; it really did seem like it belonged in the right-wing counterpart to some revolutionary leftist tract – say, the Spectator. Perhaps it's a testament to where the Australian has moved politically that Leak was their go-to cartoonist.

Oh, and Jezza, I really must respond to your claim that he was a 'free speech hero'. Let's get one thing straight: those of us who are passionate about defending free speech are often called upon to defend crude, idiotic, deliberately offensive work. Being the subject of a censorship row is not inherently praiseworthy; any bigot or empty provocateur can do that. Let us reserve our praise for those who have actually done something to advance the cause of freedom of expression, as opposed to those whose chief purpose in life is to serve as the thin edge of the wedge.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 am

Wow, feeling the love in this thread, thought I'd have a look at his work, (people get awards for this?) took me about 15 min to find something funny or true, but it's very fitting to the thread!

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f2fd09621216abe834e5b313e7eeb208

And this

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1a85962ab64b5efb8355ada47cfb4038

These people liked him
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/bill-leak-dies/news-story/aae287d576bab6f6e3378b0638728a30

This lady not so much

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/why-i-took-bill-leak-cartoon-to-the-human-rights-commission/8030268

Then I found this

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-20/bill-leak-cartoon-accurate-reflection-karl-ocallaghan-says/7951320

That's pretty sad, and if that cartoon helps get that story out there, well it's got to be a good thing.

Someone is always offended by every truth, satire is a humour not for every palate, sometimes truth needs to be said in an offensive fashion for it to hit home. And sometimes jokes go too far.

Well Bill, I'd never heard of you, seems you hit the mark in your aim, in more ways than one, 61 is too young for anyone to die, RIP, most people deserve that.

Except umpires.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 67 of 100   

Jump to: