Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #42 Darren Millane (1965-1991)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
piedys wrote:
John Wren wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Retiring numbers forever or doing what we currently do giving no 35 to the first draft pick for a year is bullshit.

Put them both back, choose kids who can live up to the number and let them make their own history in it.

the sentiment was admirable but agree that the application of it is rubbish.

Okay, let's just give #42 to one of our plethora of elite ball slaughterers and be done with it then?

we're talking about the #35. besides, your premise is stupid.

on the #42, it's been 25 years. time to bring the number back into circulation.

No, not exclusively talking about #35; according to Stui "put them both back".
I'd be happy for a young Daicos to land the #35 permenantly.

And the #42 can be issued when Denise Millane says so, and no sooner.
How's that for "your stupid premise"?

duke750 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm

I will agree with Mugwump before he is drawn and quartered. I can already see the hoards here yelling sacrilege! DM was a very good player who made significant contributions to the 1990 premiership. Courageous, no doubt. To have played that long with a broken hand was extraordinary. But he was not a champion. And certainly the mode of his demise was not quite role model material.

I do not understand why his family control whether #42 is reused. Surely that is something for the club to decide.

Respect his achievements and regret his early passing.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 pm

duke750 wrote:
DM was a very good player who made significant contributions to the 1990 premiership. Courageous, no doubt. To have played that long with a broken hand was extraordinary. But he was not a champion...

Well f*ck me - there's always one, isn't there...

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm

The top 5 in the 1990 Premiership year - in order - were...
1. Daicos
2. Millane
3. Shaw
4. Brown
5. McGuane

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Nah. Scott Russell was the best that year. I can't believe anyone could leave him out of their top 5. His arrival (along with Francis) - and brilliance - enabled Collingwood to play Daicos forward and improve the midfield at the same time (much as Mark Williams' arrival with Michael Taylor in 1981 did). No Russell, no flag. One of the single greatest seasons by a Collingwood player in the modern era.
1892_ 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 pm

It's sad we never got to see where his career ended, with a bit of maturity he would have made one hell of a captain. Certainly changed the club and I wonder what direction we would we have went in during the '90s without his death. Would we have recruited Buckley, would we still have had those terrible years? Similarly Brown was a very good captain, had Millane instead been appointed captain, would Brown's career be remembered differently?
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Scott Russell Collingwood's BEST in 1990? I doubt there would be one other person on this Board that would agree with you Pies4shaw.

Continuation of my list down to 10:
6. Wright
7. Russell
8. Monkhurst
9. Francis
10. Morwood

I reckon this side was slightly better than the 2010 version. Amazing how guns like Crosisca, Barwick, Christian, Kelly, Starcevich, Banks, Gayfer etc are out of my nominated top 10 for that particular year.

Crosisca one of my all-time favourites and arguably the equal best tackler (along with Libba Senior) the game had seen to that point in time.

courtza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I never know what to think about this issue. On the one hand, there is the clearly inspirational player, who was obviously a charismatic leader.

On the other, I think his career is magnified a little by the tragedy of his early, self-inflicted death. I saw every Melbourne-based game from 1988-1991, as I lived in Australia then. He was a damn good and important player. But honestly, I judge his contribution to 1990 to be lower than Daicos, Brown, Wright (the great unsung hero of 1990) Craig Kelly and Scotty Russell. He was good. But I think the glasses are a little rose-tinted and the eyes a little tear-stained.

Finally, I can only feel disquiet about the way he died. We talk a lot about undisciplined acts on the field. He was driving fast with a blood alcohol reading of 0.32. The fact that he did not kill an innocent person is something to be grateful for. That is what an undisciplined act looks like when it really matters. It was not a different age for drink-driving. Even then driving way over the limit was considered a serious and dangerous offence.

I miss watching him, and I admired him as footballer and a leader. But I can never quite feel the reverence.

Probably shouldn't put myself out there but I have to agree with you, not the way to go out for a hero unfortunately.

Over in Perth here West Coast have a similar thing with Mainwairing where he's idolised and they have a charity game in his honour and have named a wing after him but in reality he was a high functioning crack whore who died of a drug overdose, not really someone to look up to.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
Scott Russell Collingwood's BEST in 1990? I doubt there would be one other person on this Board that would agree with you Pies4shaw.

Continuation of my list down to 10:
6. Wright
7. Russell
8. Monkhurst
9. Francis
10. Morwood

I reckon this side was slightly better than the 2010 version. Amazing how guns like Crosisca, Barwick, Christian, Kelly, Starcevich, Banks, Gayfer etc are out of my nominated top 10 for that particular year.

Crosisca one of my all-time favourites and arguably the equal best tackler (along with Libba Senior) the game had seen to that point in time.

I like your top 10, but I'd have had Wright higher up. From memory (always dangerous), he came second in the Brownlow that year. My top of head best 5 1990 players left out Shaw (that year's Copeland and Norm Smith winner) ... my bad.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:28 am

Mugwump wrote:
I like your top 10, but I'd have had Wright higher up. From memory (always dangerous), he came second in the Brownlow that year. My top of head best 5 1990 players left out Shaw (that year's Copeland and Norm Smith winner) ... my bad.

Wright finished 2nd in the Brownlow count in 1990 behind Tony Liberatore.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 am

courtza wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I never know what to think about this issue. On the one hand, there is the clearly inspirational player, who was obviously a charismatic leader.

On the other, I think his career is magnified a little by the tragedy of his early, self-inflicted death. I saw every Melbourne-based game from 1988-1991, as I lived in Australia then. He was a damn good and important player. But honestly, I judge his contribution to 1990 to be lower than Daicos, Brown, Wright (the great unsung hero of 1990) Craig Kelly and Scotty Russell. He was good. But I think the glasses are a little rose-tinted and the eyes a little tear-stained.

Finally, I can only feel disquiet about the way he died. We talk a lot about undisciplined acts on the field. He was driving fast with a blood alcohol reading of 0.32. The fact that he did not kill an innocent person is something to be grateful for. That is what an undisciplined act looks like when it really matters. It was not a different age for drink-driving. Even then driving way over the limit was considered a serious and dangerous offence.

I miss watching him, and I admired him as footballer and a leader. But I can never quite feel the reverence.

Probably shouldn't put myself out there but I have to agree with you, not the way to go out for a hero unfortunately.

Over in Perth here West Coast have a similar thing with Mainwairing where he's idolised and they have a charity game in his honour and have named a wing after him but in reality he was a high functioning crack whore who died of a drug overdose, not really someone to look up to.

I have to say that I agree with the comments above.

I saw almost every game Millane played and quite frequently would see him when we were out and about on a Saturday night, normally with Crosisca, Banks and Daicos.

He was an inspirational leader, intimidating for opponents and loved by the faithful. The legend has grown over the years though. Whilst he was a good player, he was not one of the Pies all time greats. I remember thinking in his last season that his performances were on the slide. I do not know whether the stats or records back that opinion up or not, but I was concerned that the best had been seen.

What will never leave me though is the feeling of absolute shock when a StKilda supporter told me that Millane had been killed. I didn't believe him and as there was no internet in those days got to a radio as soon as I could. An absolutely senseless death. Not just the accident, but the events leading up to it.
Magpie Jack 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:40 am

piedys wrote:

And the #42 can be issued when Denise Millane says so, and no sooner.

My sentiments exactly

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:04 pm
Post subject: Darren Millane 30 years.Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Kind of surprised there isn't a thread on this already. Unless I've somehow missed it?

Today marks the 30th anniversary since the loss of Darren Millane's life.

What a tragic time for the club and for footy.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:23 pm

Vale the Mighty Pants; he'd be 56 years young now.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:57 pm

What a hole you left in this world and our great club.
My favourite intimidator ever!
Miss ya Pants!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22   

Jump to: