Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #42 Darren Millane (1965-1991)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't seem like thirty years ago, perhaps because the shock and sadness is still so easily recalled.
Such a tragic waste. What coulda been....... Sigh.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Still hurts like it was this year
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:36 pm

30 years has gone by so fast.
What a tragic loss

Go Pies

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Touching piece by Mick McGuane on the club website:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1023785/a-heartfelt-tribute-to-darren-millane
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:39 pm

the number of death notices in the Sun (aka Herald Sun) was staggering. Pages upon pages - never seen anything like it, before or since
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Can't believe it's 30 years
I see Millane when I regularly replay the grand final.
Loved his guts and determination.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Was drinking with Pants and Mick Gayfer at the social club after a win , when Gayf stopped Richard Osborne.Girl kept pestering Pants. "But you promised" etc. So Pants goes up to long time property steward (forgot his name) grabs the keys to the changeroom and takes her down. Comes back 30 minutes later and buys a round and the girl goes back to her mates satisfied that she had landed her prize.

Eddy used to follow him everywhere to pick up the crumbs.

The day after the 1990 GF my mate was looking for his then fiancee. Next thing he hears her on the stage singing with Pants at the Vic Park pissup.

I also remember when that pest Rob Wiley was a runner for the Eagles in 91. Wiley blocked Tony Shaw who had the ball and he was tackled and pinged. Shaw went beserk at the umpire. About 5 minutes later Wiley tried to block Pants on the wing and he yelled "Get out of my way you little seahunt or I will will smash your head in". Wiley complained to the umpire who I think was Peter Cameron who allowed play to continue and Pants drilled it to Dakes. Cameron then marched Wiley off the ground and said if you are back on without a message for the rest of the quarter I will report your team. Coach, you , Captsin. If Millane hits you you it is your fault.'

The next week they changed the rules about runners.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:09 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-10/hidden-notepad-of-collingwood-afl-star-darren-millane-found/100517970
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 am

Still remember the morning I heard the news the football died, bit of a moon landing moment really, so sad

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 am

gurugeoff wrote:
the number of death notices in the Sun (aka Herald Sun) was staggering. Pages upon pages - never seen anything like it, before or since

I kept all the news clippings from back then.

I idolised Dazza, and it broke my heart when he died. I still shed a tear when I see stories, pictures of him etc.

I don't think I have ever idolised a Pies player the same way after that.

I bought the big poster the club were selling the week after he died, still haven't framed it yet after all these years. Perhaps, because it makes me sad seeing his image given what happened to him.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:05 pm

Fatui Attata wrote:
What a hole you left in this world and our great club.
My favourite intimidator ever!
Miss ya Pants!!

I have it from a very good authority that a winger from the Swans (someone Murphy) was once so freaked out, scared witless and stressed about playing on Millane that he spewed before the game and suffered a few panic attacks.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:59 pm

Some players have personas much bigger than their status as players.

Darren 'Pants' Millane was one such individual. As great and influential a player as he was - certainly destined to be our next multi Premiership captain - Millane had a presence like no other player I've ever known. The world is a lesser place for his sad and early departure from it. RIP Daz.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm

I remember the morning distinctly listening to the morning show on 3AW. The jocks were saying there had been a nasty accident in Albert Park concerning a player from a high profile club. Kept hoping it wasn't the Pies.

As the morning progressed it was getting worse as it turned to a fatality. They new the club, the player but wouldn't release names. Normal procedure until family is contacted.

Finally announced it to be Darren, the grief was unbelievable, I'd never met the guy, around the same age, played against some his mates in juniors, so he was a player that was Godlike, well almost.

The media attention was unreal, never seen before only topped by Princess Di.

I've had the pleasure to work at Denise's house in Noble Park, so much memorabilia set up for Darren. She is such a lovely lady but imagine she'd be doing it tough around this time of the year. Also had his bro as my postie for a short time.

RIP Pants.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:27 pm

We woulda shat it in in '92 with Pants in the side

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Just watched the documentary about Darren on the club website (narrated and orchestrated by a very young and fresh-faced Eddie). The courage, the substance, the fearlessness, the loyalty to club, family and friends, the generosity of heart - the charisma of the man and the strength and skill of the player.
He was possessed of such a unique set of characteristics and I can't think of another individual player to match him in all these respects in the years since, more is the shame. Today's footballers seem so vanilla in comparison. Still so greatly missed. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

Jump to: