Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Carlton have just committed themselves to more suffering

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpie-Pep 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a collingwood board or are we discussing carlton's picks..
Their supporters are already gloating...

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:35 pm

Buckethead wrote:
And theiur backline will now have Teague, Hardford etc. I

Pfffft! Hardford. LOL! He has been playing for the Box Hill Hawks all year. He won't do jack.
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:54 pm

Magpie-Pep wrote:
Is this a collingwood board or are we discussing carlton's picks..
Their supporters are already gloating...

Good Gawd, let them, the sad sods. They've been searching for months to find something with the veneer of salvaging their season. Very Happy

Buckethead 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:48 pm

Yes Joel Harford may not do shit but Whitnall at CHB and Teague will I rekon.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:23 pm

as much as i hate to admit it, carlton have taken the first step to develop their team into a finals side. they gave away some of their has-being players for younger, underrated players. collingwood was very proactive in the trade/draft period after we won the spoon (shudders..). we gained holland, clement, licuria, mckee (i think), o'bree, wakelin and more recently woey and williams. most of these were young underrated players that were able to progress dramatically under MM. I c a lot of similarities between carlton now and collingwood in 2000. remember we finished 2nd last the year after the spoon just like carlton have now. who knows maybe they might finsih 9th next year

hopefully i am completely insane and we see carlton rise to another wooden spoon next year
Tank36 Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:39 pm

Someone mentioned Carlton are going for a quick fix with players from other clubs.

Wakelin
Buckley
Woewodin
Clement
Licuria
Rocca
O'Bree
McKee
Freeborn
Molloy
Cummings
and more:

We haver done alright out of rejects
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:44 am

Look, I think a few here are missing the main point. We may have finished second two years running but the FACTS were that we were not good enough. Stevens is a brilliant player who would have been a wonderful acquisition. Port stuffed us up on that. But Collingwood just cant sit on their hands waiting for and hoping or expecting young players to keep on improving. History shows that some might but others wont. They must aggressively target players in the National & pre season drafts that have some solid AFL experience to assist our young list. Otherwise we will all get old & grey waiting for the likes of Kinnear to bloody improve!

Lazza
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:20 pm

Buckethead wrote:
Yes Joel Harford may not do shit but Whitnall at CHB and Teague will I rekon.

Checkout the stats in this thread:
http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14128

Doubt it.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:23 pm

Tank36 wrote:
Someone mentioned Carlton are going for a quick fix with players from other clubs.

Wakelin
Buckley
Woewodin
Clement
Licuria
Rocca
O'Bree
McKee
Freeborn
Molloy
Cummings
and more:

We haver done alright out of rejects

Rejects?

- Bux, Woey, Rocca, O'Bree. Were not rejects. O'Bree left Brisbane, he wasn't delisted, IIRC.

- Cummings, Molly, Freeborn, McKee, all had MINIMAL impact.

- Licuria and Clement are the exceptions. Oh, and Wakes has been great as well. But they are exceptions, not the rule.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:20 pm

Newelly wrote:
Did I spend too much time posting on this board today?
Was the dawn of life on earth deliberate or one cosmical, comical misinterpretation of the universal road map by extra-terrestrials?

No. 42 is the answer. Well that's what they said on "The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy"....

Dyso
Harvey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:44 pm

Lazza wrote:
Look, I think a few here are missing the main point. We may have finished second two years running but the FACTS were that we were not good enough. Stevens is a brilliant player who would have been a wonderful acquisition. Port stuffed us up on that. But Collingwood just cant sit on their hands waiting for and hoping or expecting young players to keep on improving. History shows that some might but others wont. They must aggressively target players in the National & pre season drafts that have some solid AFL experience to assist our young list. Otherwise we will all get old & grey waiting for the likes of Kinnear to bloody improve!

Lazza

so your saying that walker, lonie, fraser, tarrant, didak, shaw, lokan, johnson, davis and cole cant improve?

would you rather trade all our players for brisbane's list? they have proven that they can win a premiership. how many players over 30? 8! they are on their way out. as you saw with adelaide, you cant go out and buy a premiership.

when we look at our list we c that most can improve dramatically. to have reached back to back GF's and still have plenty of players not at their peak yet is bloody good. if we look at our list and c that most players cant improve n e more and we still havent won a premiership, thats when we need to make drastic changes. right now we just need them to improve naturally.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:00 pm

Add to that list the second players that will likely get a shot at senior footy next year in Shackleton, King, Nixon, Davidson Richards and C Cloke.
princem007 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:11 pm

Looks like Ive stirred the pot a bit. Thats good. Everyone has their own opinions.

Carlton needed to look like they are doing something to help keep their supporters and members interested, so they will churn their list to create the impression they are trying to do something, so when that fails they can say, well at least we tried, we made changes to our list.

If Caaaarlton were serious about long term improvement they would have traded for draft selections, not rejects. They are going for a quick fix, which is OK if you have a list thats on the brink of a flag, but they way they performed last season they cannot do a quick fix here, it needs major, major surgery.

But who cares anyway...this is a Collingwood board right!!!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:30 am

Harvey wrote
"so your saying that walker, lonie, fraser, tarrant, didak, shaw, lokan, johnson, davis and cole cant improve?"

Mate, I'm sure some of them will improve. I picked Walker to be a gun on FTO long before he even played a senior game. I love the guy, he is going to be a star. But my point is that if Collingwood want a flag in the next two years, we need a BALANCE between the young guys and the guys with a bit of experience. This year's GF showed some good young players being completely overawed by the occasion. A few old heads around could have had a settling effect on them. Someone noted that Brisbane had 8 players over 30 and we had 1. They won the GF by 9 goals. I think that says something.
By all means let the young guys continue to improve but lets also balance up the side with a few old wise heads who can handle the pressure of a GF without going to water. This will be a good move.

Lazza
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:57 am

Lazza let it go, there is not going to be any upper crust left in terms of 30 year old players that will available to the Pies in the pre-season draft, only crumbs. You're idea has been proven in the past, although sometimes it fails to deliver as it did with The Crows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: