Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor failed to sell a minor change to super, and yet we are expected to trust Labor to give us the detail of the Voice after we vote for it.

What a joke.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm

Latest Newspoll on the Voice referendum.

Yes = 53% (-3 from last month)
No = 38% (+1 from last month)
Undecided = 9% (+2 from last month)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:46 pm

Albo is making a mess of this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:13 pm

My read, admittedly from a distance, is that this is less a case of Albo specifically being incompetent than a case of an entire political class having forgotten how to do basic politics.

The approach at the moment seems to be to lob out a policy proposal as if it were a grenade and then immediately duck for cover. So I have a growing suspicion that they never even had the first clue how to get anything like this done.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:57 pm

No, Albo knows that virtue signalling works. The substance behind it is irrelevant.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:18 pm

I don't think it's incompetence, Albo actually seems somewhat competent.

It's like he's hesitant to proactively support the idea he put on the agenda, why I don't know.

he's thrown out a (well crafted) thought bubble, said we'll go to a referendum, then has put a pillowcase over his head and gone Nah Nah Nah Nah, allowing naysayers to fill the vacuum he's created.

he needs to explain more detail of the proposal, soon, before people turn away.

I get the concept, make a First Nations Voice to Parliament a part of the constitution.

The form of what that looks like to be decided (and changed by) Parliament initially and from time to time as required.
The important thing is that it's to be a consultative committee (Labor love them), not a ruling body, but some ideas about how the members are selected, how many there are, how long do they stay there, do they get paid, etc.

Some of these things might be up for Parliament to decide but FFS, sell it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:00 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Labor failed to sell a minor change to super, and yet we are expected to trust Labor to give us the detail of the Voice after we vote for it.
….

The premise is wrong and so too is the conclusion. The polls show that the Super proposed changes are overwhelmingly popular. By continuing to rely on the Murdoch press you’re backing Morrison to win the last Federal election and Daniel Andrews to lose the last State election. How did that pan out?

Murdoch press & their followers are the joke.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:38 pm

^

I assume you don't read the Murdoch Press, so how do you know what's in it?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:15 pm

Decent article IMO that reflects what I said earlier about Albo being the problem.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/why-albanese-not-dutton-is-the-greatest-threat-to-stifling-the-voice-20230309-p5cqqp.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 am

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/albanese-s-voice-announcement-explained-20230323-p5cumy.html

So, we have the final wording of the question, detail on the proposed amendments to the constitution and clarity on how the voice would work and how members would be selected.

Good stuff, Albo has finally extracted his thumb from his butt, there should seem to be little genuine reasons to vote No.

Now it's a matter of selling this and countering the inevitable fake news scare campain on social media.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I assume you don't read the Murdoch Press, so how do you know what's in it?

Like I said above the premise is wrong so too is the conclusion.

I wash regularly especially after reading the Murdoch press; I still feel unclean.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:21 am

stui magpie wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/albanese-s-voice-announcement-explained-20230323-p5cumy.html

So, we have the final wording of the question, detail on the proposed amendments to the constitution and clarity on how the voice would work and how members would be selected.

Good stuff, Albo has finally extracted his thumb from his butt, there should seem to be little genuine reasons to vote No.

Now it's a matter of selling this and countering the inevitable fake news scare campain on social media.

Yep 👍

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Agreed – it's a yes vote from me. I understand some Indigenous activists and others on the left will be opposed, but I don't see the point of making the perfect the enemy of the good here.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:33 pm

Those arguing for a Treaty first should surely be able to see that getting The Voice established first is the most meaningful way of doing it. That would enable the voices of indigenous people chosen by indigenous people to frame the content rather than a few self appointed activists.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Those arguing for a Treaty first should surely be able to see that getting The Voice established first is the most meaningful way of doing it. That would enable the voices of indigenous people chosen by indigenous people to frame the content rather than a few self appointed activists.

That's generally my take, but there is also a very real risk (I'd actually say a probability) that it will mean a treaty gets put on the backburner. in that sense, I understand why there is significant opposition in parts of the Indigenous community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 3 of 31   

Jump to: