Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Freeman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am
Post subject: Nathan FreemanReply with quote

Would we consider mid season draft?
His numbers in the VFL this season so far:
Round 1 - 28 kicks, 13 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles
Round 2 - 29 kicks, 13 handballs, 8 marks, 1 tackle
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What position has he been playing Matt? Midfield I presume? They are amazing stats.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:22 am

There's a reason he's not on an AFL list anymore. I have heard that he was reluctant to listen to coaching and/or senior players and wasn't prepared to do the work required to perform at the highest level.
Natural talent? Yes. Professional attitude? No.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

Can't comment re his attitude or ability to follow instructions but he can find the ball.

Playing midfield for the Frankston Dolphins - maybe he is over his hamstring issues?
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 am
Post subject: Re: Nathan FreemanReply with quote

mattdally wrote:
Would we consider mid season draft?
His numbers in the VFL this season so far:
Round 1 - 28 kicks, 13 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles
Round 2 - 29 kicks, 13 handballs, 8 marks, 1 tackle

He & his parents blame us for his injuries, he wants nothing to do with us.

Next!
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 am

They also weren't happy with St Kilda.

He is another player who is better suited to the lower leagues. Notwithstanding his injuries, you need to work hard & be able to cope with the pressures of AFL football (on and off the field).

Look at Tom Boyd - paid heaps of $, won a premiership with the Dogs but he views that period as the worst of his life. He is happy now playing for St Kevs in the VAFA.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Morgan Freeman more likely...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:51 pm

Having coached Nathan as a junior ( Dingley ) lived around the corner from him and have a son who is good mates with him, I’m probably in a better position than most to form an opinion.
Nathan’s had his obvious setbacks at AFL level and also an of-field distraction that shifted his focus for a while. My son tells me he is back enjoying footy and is happy just to have some clear air once again.
He was another victim of the early draft pick curse. He shouldn’t have been pick 10 but I’m guessing we were seduced by his pace. Salem was his teammate at the dragons and went one pick before him but was twice the player Nathan was. That’s not a knock on Nathan and if not for the injury, he would have certainly played more senior footy.
And yes, the story about his parents ( father specifically ) is true.
Whether right or wrong, they believed Collingwoods injury management wasn’t good enough and advised the club they would be looking to further his career elsewhere.
Given that Nathan is once again happy doing what he is currently doing, I would hope he chooses to steer the same course for a while to come.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:39 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Morgan Freeman more likely...

New board member?
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Is his old man they type to always find someone else to blame? I see that daily in my job.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Is his old man they type to always find someone else to blame? I see that daily in my job.

Alpha male who lived his life through his son. It doesn’t help that Nathan never had a soft tissue injury before we drafted him.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 pm

They could also point to Collingwood's catastrophic injury management in the last decade.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Having coached Nathan as a junior ( Dingley ) lived around the corner from him and have a son who is good mates with him, I’m probably in a better position than most to form an opinion.
Nathan’s had his obvious setbacks at AFL level and also an of-field distraction that shifted his focus for a while. My son tells me he is back enjoying footy and is happy just to have some clear air once again.
He was another victim of the early draft pick curse. He shouldn’t have been pick 10 but I’m guessing we were seduced by his pace. Salem was his teammate at the dragons and went one pick before him but was twice the player Nathan was. That’s not a knock on Nathan and if not for the injury, he would have certainly played more senior footy.
And yes, the story about his parents ( father specifically ) is true.
Whether right or wrong, they believed Collingwoods injury management wasn’t good enough and advised the club they would be looking to further his career elsewhere.
Given that Nathan is once again happy doing what he is currently doing, I would hope he chooses to steer the same course for a while to come.

Thanks for that insight Pies2016.

It was quite devastating as a supporter to watch Nathan struggle with those hamstring injuries. Similarly, watching Schazz suffer all those ACLs. It's good to hear that Nathan is enjoying playing football again and demonstrating this with his form. (Hope it's also the case for Schazz).
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm

mattdally wrote:
Can't comment re his attitude or ability to follow instructions but he can find the ball.

Playing midfield for the Frankston Dolphins - maybe he is over his hamstring issues?

There are a lot of players who are too good for VFL but no good in the big time!!

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:34 pm

Saw him live this season. His disposals (kicking) is not what we want. First and only time I’ve ever seen him play live...and I’m not sure what our recruiters saw in him other than speed. His skill set is severely by-the-numbers. He’s a great VFL player, clearly, no shame in that, but his disposal deficiencies would have always prevented him from a sustainable AFL career in the modern climate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: