Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL Round 4

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Agree with most of that.
TJ looks like he could be something special, has great poise and awareness.
Dean did well and is a handy backup.
AJ is shot. Looks disinterested
I don't think Fin will ever make it. Just doesn't do anything that stands out
Allan is still a kid, I'm happy to wait and see how his year progresses. Body needs to fill out
Carmichael has a go but lacks polish
The cupboard is a little bare

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Final scores Coburg 12 15 ( 87 ) Pies 10. 12. ( 72 )
Multiple goal kickers only Hutchison and Crocker both with 2 each ( and neither of them AFL listed )
Major ball winners ( AFL listed only ) Markov 27. MacRae 25 Bytel 21

I only watched the second and fourth quarters but we were very poor. We were outworked in every facet of the game. Having said that, Coburg should be congratulated for playing the game out for the entire four quarters.
This win will mean so much to Coburg as a struggling stand alone club. To put the win in perspective, this was their first win since 2022.

Without making excuses, I can’t help but think our lack of AFL listed players caused a knock on effect with both the new players coming in not knowing the system or their teammates and also our AFL listed players who were forced to play out of position to plug holes. It’s hard to describe how we butchered the basics so frequently.
Markov was easily our most noticeable player today. He finished with 27 disposals and played with his usual run and carry.
Our best players as per the commentary included Jaith, Glover ( obviously not AFL listed ) Dean and Markov ( funnily enough all defenders )
Johnson had a decent last quarter back at full forward with two strong marks, after plugging holes in the first three quarters.
I think Jaith appears to be the biggest positive from our VFL games. He continues to play well and he’s pretty resilient despite being built like a pipe cleaner. He’s got really good ball craft, competent in the air and really should play seniors in a year or two.
Hopefully we will get a few players back over the next round or two. It won’t be hard to find a spot for them ( likely inclusions include Krueger, Ryan, DiMattia, Sullivan, Harrison and POSSIBLY Steene all back within two games )

Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Fin doesn't have what it takes to be a quality AFL level Mid.

What's going to stop Fin progressing is a lack of speed - not physically, but mentally. He can get the ball, and if he has enough time, more often than not he'll make the right decision. But in high pressure situations, he's just not quick enough to assess the situation and act upon it. There are plenty of slowish inside mids in the AFL who aren't much more than an average field kick, but the best are still able to do their inside work quickly, and keep an attacking move going fluently. I don't think Fin is at that level.

Quote:
Dean did some good things in the second half when he was basically a loose man down back.

There's a long way to go with Dean, but my concern here with being made the designated loose man down back is that unless it's a ruckman, these days that role is ideally also your first attacker. If that's the long term plan with him, great - give him licence not just to intercept and get some cheap touches, but also to take chances when he has the ball.

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
AJ is shot. Looks disinterested

Mentally just not there at the moment, which isn't great when you're a player that depends a lot on the ball coming to you, instead of you making things happen and inserting yourself into the fray. Took a great mark in the last, but there's such a huge gap between the fleeting highlight reel moments and his ordinary output.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 pm

only watched most of the last quarter at Coburg.
The only player that looked that he may take the next leap forward was Jiath.
Still far too skinny and raw to consider him for his AFL debut.
But he is one to watch.
As for Ash Johnson.......rabbit material.
Personally I would try him down back.
Because he is not going to make it as a forward.
He may play like Howe with intercepting marks.
He can mark well.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:03 pm

Im not sure what rabbit material is but I have concerns for Ash Johnson and his love for the game at AFL level. It’s been well documented he was trolled after the Swans game and maybe the abuse has caused him to rethink his position as an AFL footballer.
I don’t walk in his shoes but the truth is he has hardly fired a shot even at VFL level since the Swans game. From all reports, he had a big preseason, to the point of being preferred over McInnes, so we have to assume he was committed coming into the new season. I’m sure the club is monitoring his well-being and mental health but I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the club and Johnson parted ways with each other at the end of the season.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:10 pm

Figured that I was there looked tired from last week and took a bit out of them
We play Essendon next at vic park on Sunday
So got some good time to recover and get stuck into training
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:58 pm

Ash John stood inside the 50m arc whilst opponent moved down field when Coburg had the ball
It was either a coaching instruction or he was downright bone lazy.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:08 pm

Thank you to everyone who provided updates.

From what I gather, it doesn't sound like anyone stood out which is a little disappointing.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:17 pm

One player which I forgot to mention was Will Parker ( 183cm ) playing off half back. I had forgotten he was a recent Cat B signing on the back of him choosing cricket over footy during his draft year from a couple years ago. He was considered a first round pick in his draft year but failed to nominate after choosing cricket.
He’s one to keep an eye on. I won’t pass comment because I haven’t seen enough of him but listening to Josh Fraser’s post game interview, he was particularly impressed with his debut. 22 disposals, 1 goal and 3 tackles would suggest he didn’t have much trouble finding the ball, so he becomes another player watch in the VFL.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 pm

FT = Coburg Lions 12.15.87 defeated Collingwood 10.12.72

Goals: Hutchinson 2, Crocker 2, Parker 1, Long 1, Lane 1, Johnson 1, Carmichael 1, Begg 1
Disposals: Markov 27, Macrae 25, Glover 23, Parker 22, Lane 21, Bytel 21, Long 19, Dean 19, Carmichael 18
AF Points: Markov 105, Bytel 100, Macrae 98, Glover 95, Dean 94, Parker 90, Long 88, Lane 87, Begg 85.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:21 pm

Clearances: Macrae 4, Long 3, Hutchinson 2, Carmichael 2, Allan 2.
Tackles: Begg 9, Macrae 8, Long 7, Bytel 7, Allan 7.
Marks: Markov 8, Lane 7, Dean 7, Bytel 7, Richards 5.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:35 am

Pies2016 wrote:
One player which I forgot to mention was Will Parker ( 183cm ) playing off half back. I had forgotten he was a recent Cat B signing on the back of him choosing cricket over footy during his draft year from a couple years ago. He was considered a first round pick in his draft year but failed to nominate after choosing cricket.
He’s one to keep an eye on. I won’t pass comment because I haven’t seen enough of him but listening to Josh Fraser’s post game interview, he was particularly impressed with his debut. 22 disposals, 1 goal and 3 tackles would suggest he didn’t have much trouble finding the ball, so he becomes another player watch in the VFL.

I was mildly impressed with his game. Was pretty good in the air, read the play well and had a bit of poise about him. Disposal seemed decent also. Definitely one to keep an eye on

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 pm

Long way to go on Wil Parker’s fitness but he’s got some good qualities already. Definitely a watch on his development and progress this year
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am

Coaches MVP: Oleg Markov

Coaches votes:

10 Joel Trudgeon (COB)
7 Cooper Keogh (COB)
4 Hugo Bromell (COB)
3 Oleg Markov (COL)
3 Donovan Toohey (COB)
2 Flynn Gentile (COB)
1 Ryan Sturgess (COB)

Round 4 review:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1114694/review-smithys-vfl-round-4

Match replay:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1114185/vfl-match-replay-r4-coburg-v-collingwood?videoId=1114185&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1713672466001&references=AFL_MATCH:6336

Mini match:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1114050/vfl-mini-match-r4-coburg-v-collingwood?videoId=1114050&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1713668774001&references=AFL_MATCH:6336

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: