Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nineteenth Hole

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
I carry the 2 iron for when I'm under trees to get back on the fairway, but gain some distance in the process. 5 iron has too much loft.

A 3H will also achieve that and be useful on the fairways and long Par 3s. It's far more versatile than a 2i.

As Laurie said, I use a 5i with more of a putting stroke if I need to punch the ball out under trees.

That said, golf clubs cost quite a bit, so no point over-investing if you are getting what you need out of your current set up. But when it does come time to change, consider swapping out your long irons.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 am

My golf has been shizen last 4-5 weeks thanks to Youtube. I'd been shooting 45's consistently and thought I'd hit Youtube to knock some shots off. Has not worked and I've learnt my lesson- play your natural game and the more you play the numbers will drop!

I've come to the realisation that hitting 45 is not a bad score for myself.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I carry the 2 iron for when I'm under trees to get back on the fairway, but gain some distance in the process. 5 iron has too much loft.

A 3H will also achieve that and be useful on the fairways and long Par 3s. It's far more versatile than a 2i.

As Laurie said, I use a 5i with more of a putting stroke if I need to punch the ball out under trees.

That said, golf clubs cost quite a bit, so no point over-investing if you are getting what you need out of your current set up. But when it does come time to change, consider swapping out your long irons.

It's an old 2 iron, probably from a ladies set as it has a short shaft.

When under trees and need to keep the ball low I use an open stance with all the weight on the left foot, barely get the club to the horizontal in the back swing and just punch it with the arms. barely gets 3 feet off the gound and can travel 100m. It lets me get out from under trees and get some distance down the fairway instead of just tapping it back onto the fairway.

I use it sometimes on the fairway when the Hybrids decide not to work.
It's the odd club in the set. I have the Driver and 3W, 3 and 4H, 5-9 irons and PW all made to fit 15+ years ago.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm

Also, lads upgrade your grips. It's like driving a car with bald tyres, interesting, sometimes fun, but ultimately hazardous.
If you're looking to save a few bucks and you've got an air compressor, you can blow the old grips off yourself and affix the new ones.

And my tip for the day, make sure you extend the Club back and don't bend your arms, allow your wrists to do that work. You should be looking back down at the ball almost over your shoulder. And when you let it rip, swing through on your target line.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 pm

I am playing at Waterford Valley tomorrow in a fundraiser, going to need my Handicap.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
And my tip for the day, make sure you extend the Club back and don't bend your arms, allow your wrists to do that work. You should be looking back down at the ball almost over your shoulder. And when you let it rip, swing through on your target line.

Nice tip Laurie, but this sort of stuff blows my score up!!!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 pm

Culprit wrote:
I am playing at Waterford Valley tomorrow in a fundraiser, going to need my Handicap.
What a crap front nine, I played lousy. Back nine I played with two clubs, my 4 iron, and my putter and won 3 holes (Stableford). I even won closest to the pin on a par 3.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

^ do you mean match play? Stableford is just scoring against the Index.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm

Culprit wrote:
Culprit wrote:
What a crap front nine, I played lousy. Back nine I played with two clubs, my 4 iron, and my putter and won 3 holes (Stableford). I even won closest to the pin on a par 3.

I once (long time ago) was playing so shit that I played a Par 3 using just the putter. Teed off with it, approach shot and putt. I got a par.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ do you mean match play? Stableford is just scoring against the Index.
Yes it's the scoring system. I've never referred to it as "match play".
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 pm

Stui, It's a great course if you love water, lost 4 balls into the water. Mind you I landed in 4 bunkers and out straight away as my 60-degree is my friend.
All the time I thought it was a Private Course. It's Privately owned but public, and I will play there again.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm

Not a fan of water or trees on the golf course. I'm shit in bunkers, the ones in Toc are 6 foot deep, I'm better off chipping backwards out than trying to go at the green from the bunker.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:54 pm

^^ Laughing Water does my head in, amazingly I got passed a few water hazards yesterday as I didn't see the water. The 18th hole is basically on an Island and I hit it beautifully and yep, I still landed in the water. Eagle Ridge tomorrow and that's got one hole that is full of bunkers so I am packing my bucket and spade.

On a side note, Michael Hafey (Tom's Brother) was in my team yesterday, he's a good family friend. He's a Lefty and he plays very consistently, his shafts are senior flex. He was outdriving me by 10 metres each time. I am going to try a Senior Flex shaft on my Taylor Made driver this week. Is this me admitting I am getting old? Shocked Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:07 pm

^

How does that work? Can you take the club in somewhere and change the shaft?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:23 pm

Yes, you can purchase a shaft and take it to most clubs for fitting. A - Flex or Senior Flex is the same. Found a place near me, supplied, measured and fitted. $100. If I don't like it I have the tool to change it back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: