Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

5 rounds in - player performances

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Anyone noticed our incessant fumbling and lack of ball handling skills that when incurred, immediately results in a clearance to the opposition. Chief offenders of this include:
* McCreery
* Mitchell
* Sidebottom
* Pendles: yes in 2024 he looks like he is handling a cake of soap
* DeGoey
* Crisp
* Lipinski

What do they have in common? 90% are our midfielders. Improvement urgently required.

Josh Daicos NEVER fumbles! Take heed.

It’s a good point and it’s been an epidemic at the club this year. I would also add Hill, Quaynor and even Nick is down on his usual sublime ball craft.
More than anything, it’s our fumbling that’s killing us. We’re so used to peeling off the moment we take the ball, as soon as we fumble, we’re caught out going the wrong way without the ball and easily scored against.
It’s extremely unusual to have so many quality players fumble collectively and the obvious conclusion would be it’s still an area that requires significantly more work to be done.
Personally, I place some blame for the poor skill level on the fixturing. Continual short turnarounds don’t allow for skill work to be honed because the short weeks are spent on rehab, the gym and a bit of kick to kick ( and occasionally travel is also thrown in ) Skills need to be improved under pressure situations and that’s best done during match sim like conditions but that’s difficult to replicate when you’re playing four games in 19 days.
I think there will be a real focus on improving skills under pressure over the next couple weeks to coincide with the extended break and then the bye.
I expect a sharper Collingwood after the bye but it will still stand for little if we also don’t maintain the heat for longer during games.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:44 pm

Forget Kruger, he spends more time in the rehab group than anywhere else. He may even hold the AFL record for rehab time in an AFL career.

I’d like to see Richards and Sullivan get reward for effort in the VFL. Hopeful on Eyre and DiMattia when they are fit again.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:44 pm

In addition the first list I would say:

Improved
McInnes, Schultz (compared to weeks 0&1), Richards, Begg, Harrison, Sullivan

Steady
Carmichael, Bytel, Dean, Allan, Steene (only because he hasn’t played)

Declined
Johnson

The reality of this list is the cupboard is pretty bare. Let’s enjoy a few more wins while we can as the medium term looks bleak over the next 3-5years

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:21 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
The reality of this list is the cupboard is pretty bare. Let’s enjoy a few more wins while we can as the medium term looks bleak over the next 3-5years

And that's just when Tassie will scoop up all the draft picks (plus one "star" player from each club)...

So rebuilding then will be hard.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:54 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Highest-ranked pressure game by any Club so far in 2024. Last week against Brisbane was also in the top 5 for the year so far. Not everything is clicking - but they're getting back the key ingredient of their success in 2022/2023.

Just on the above, as I understand it, although Collingwood recorded the highest pressure rating score for any club this year, that score in itself may have only be sustained for an isolated period. If that’s correct, then the problem arises, as it did against Hawthorn, when we can’t sustain anything like those numbers in the second half. I think the numbers went something like from 210 odd down to 170 odd in the second half.
You could argue a team would be better served going at a 185 rating for the entire match, rather than a record breaking burst that simply can’t be maintained for an extended period ( although obviously it’s not that linear )
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 am

I agree with most peoples assessment of our players performances so far.

I'd just add that my main concern is that we have not really improved our senior squad at all. Obviously we've added Schultz, but he is only marginally an improvement on Ginni, whom we lost.

Last year our team (which had lost the Prelim by one point the previous season) added Markov, Bobby Hill, Frampton and McStay.

My worry is that, as the performance of elder players inevitably decline in their latter years, every team needs to add new senior players to its squad every season and this year we have not done so. It doesn't bode well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: