Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

hunting Varmints for food.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:07 pm
Post subject: hunting Varmints for food.Reply with quote

There was a thread recently where TP commented about the number of Rabbits on her bush place, I suggested buying a gun and Skids posted that he'd never shot anything, wasn't able to (which I respect as everyone is different).

I chanced upon this article in the Age this morning which was very interesting, coming from the perspective of a bloke who had been a vegetarian, still had issues with ethical sourcing of meat, and went and got a gun licence and a gun and went rabbit shooting, for food.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-first-hunt-my-journey-from-vegetarian-to-shooting-my-dinner-20230501-p5d4q0.html

Doesn't answer any questions, but not a bad read.

Now that I'm retired, might have to go pick up a little .22 Magnum, would be easy to keep a freezer stocked with Rabbits up in Toc, plenty of crown land just west of town.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

locked!!!

the baiting has worked for now, a lot less bunnies, although maybe the only come out at night because something is digging holes!

found a european wasps nest today! near the creek on the neighbours property! ugh!!

i have a US friend who hunts deer, not a fan of it but Shes on her Own, her hubby got the military pension, she got an RV. she shas bought a cute wood cabin, i think it was about $35k US, on an acre in Georgia. She cant afford to eat, she works in a fish and game store, so she shoots for food. And she knows how to do it properly. still not a fan but i understand it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:12 pm

^

yeah, I used to have a little .22 rifle that my grandfather gave my dad. Back in the depression, pre WWII as an 8 year old, Grandad would give him the little rifle and 3 bullets and tell him to come back with 2 rabbits at least and if they weren't head shot he'd be in trouble.

When I was a kid, mum used to sometimes cook KFR. Kentucky Fried rabbit. Joint it, egg wash, and seasoned crumbs then fry it. Tasted great.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:48 pm

No issue with those who hunt for food, but not sure I could ever do it! Maybe if it was an animal that was less cute than rabbits I could get the shotgun out. Kangaroos, maybe? (I do love kangaroo meat, though must admit I found the roo hunting sequence in Wake in Fright pretty disturbing!)
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:55 pm

Shotgun on Rabbits leaves bugger all to eat unless you use No.6 shot or smaller. Roos you need a decent high powered rifle or be an absolute crack shot.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:56 pm

David wrote:
No issue with those who hunt for food, but not sure I could ever do it! Maybe if it was an animal that was less cute than rabbits I could get the shotgun out. Kangaroos, maybe? (I do love kangaroo meat, though must admit I found the roo hunting sequence in Wake in Fright pretty disturbing!)

fall in rabbit holes a few times! pay the vet bill for the sheep who did too!
rabbits aint that cute!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:37 pm

I'm not sure if that would make rabbits less cute, or just make me more rabbitphobic. Laughing
partypie 

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:50 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

fall in rabbit holes a few times! pay the vet bill for the sheep who did too!
rabbits aint that cute!

I feel your pain TP, spent a couple of hours filling in rabbit holes today, while the grass is short. I’m channeling Elmer Fudd
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:51 am

Oh I get that! I can’t believe how big some ofthe holes are!
The council just finished baiting do not many around, I want to do some rabbit proofing before they explode again!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:22 am

Any ferriters in our midst? They crack me up the vicious little blighters.

I couldn't shoot to kill anything now, but I did grow up with that culture and don't judge proper, intelligent wildlife culls or genuine shooting to eat. I was huge fisho when young, and only targeted my favourite edible plentiful species when I got older (bream).

Once I went on a roo shoot and held the spotlight for the shooters. It was an approved cull, and they used the meat to feed the dogs, which is a very justified outcome.

If you're thoughtful, there's no problem. There are a stack of pest species that harm the populations of other species, while some species naturally replace when you reduce their numbers to a certain level. That said, there aren't many replenishable (and edible) schooling fish anymore.

roar 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Mrs and I got our gun licenses recently but yet to buy a gun. Lots of deer, roo/wallaby and rabbits around, and we know a few locals who only eat what they catch/shoot so there is definitely enough food around. My issue isn't the shooting, it's the messy stuff that comes afterwards - skinning, gutting, butchering - that has me doubting whether I will go down that path. However, it is nice to know that if everything goes to shit, we do have plentiful meat supply and water.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:52 pm

If you're planning on shooting deer and rabbit, you'll need more than 1 gun. A .22 or .22 Magnum is fine for rabbits but to kill a deer or Roo humanely you'll need a lot mor stopping power. Go to a gun store, tell them what your planning to shoot and get recommendations.

I'd go for a .22 Magnum for small game,
a little 20 guage shotgun for snakes (if they still make them)
Probably a 30-30 for the larger ones. Plenty of stopping power but less recoil than a .308.

roar 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:52 pm

That's the plan, more or less. Will probably get the .22 Magnum, 12 gauge Shotgun, initially, then a .308 or something similar if I decide to hunt the bigger stuff.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:22 pm

One thing to remember when applying for a gun license is don't put down hunting as a reason for gun ownership, they may refuse a license. The best thing to do is join a club or association first as a non shooting member and then get a license. If your a first time gun owner it pays to have experienced people about when your learning.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:08 pm

Hunting is a perfectly valid reason, you need to either get a game permit or a registration of interest to hunt pest animals on crown land. I do the latter each time I renew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: