Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Bombers CEO quits after One Day

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct,

This guy lost his job not because he was Christian (which would be illegal) but because he was chair of the board of an organisation which held public views which fundamentally conflicted with those of the AFL and Essendon.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:36 pm

slangman wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
The individual beliefs of a player are are different matter to the CEO of an organisation and should be managed differently.

So you will condone certain controversial religious beliefs dependent on one’s position?
I find that bizarre tbh.

I don't know why.

The player can hold whatever views they want personally, it would be publicly expressing them that could get them in trouble depending on what and how.

A senior leader of any organisation, beit chair of board or CEO, has a different level of accountability and scrutiny.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:34 pm

So they appoint a CEO who was in a leadership position at the NAB and who was severely criticised in the banking Royal Commission, who resigns from the NAB with his incompetent tail between his legs and who currently holds a leadership position with a Happy Clappy Church. That Church is explicitly homophobic and bigoted.

What could go wrong? 😜🤦‍♂️ Razz

It also shows just how amateur some (? Most) football clubs are. David Barham is a joke.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 pm

I have to agree that the bigger sin here (pardon the pun) is this guy's track record as CEO of NAB. He was explicitly named in the RC for, among other things, charging fees for services that were never delivered.

I mean that alone should have you approach with caution...

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:25 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
I have to agree that the bigger sin here (pardon the pun) is this guy's track record as CEO of NAB. He was explicitly named in the RC for, among other things, charging fees for services that were never delivered.

I mean that alone should have you approach with caution...

Has he delivered on the Church services or are they collecting on false promises? 😉

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:51 am

Wow, an excoriating article by a financial journalist and Dons supporter. Burning my fingers just pasting the link:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/thorburn-saga-just-more-fuel-on-essendon-s-shameful-dumpster-fire-20221005-p5bnac.html

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:05 am

GWS player Haneen Zreika has for the second year running refused to wear the pride jumper.
Let’s see how this public display of homophobia is handled.

But we all know that the gutless media will say nothing as Charlie Hebdo is still very fresh in their minds.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:12 am

slangman wrote:
GWS player Haneen Zreika has for the second year running refused to wear the pride jumper.

But we all know that the gutless media will say nothing as Charlie Hebdo is still very fresh in their minds.

I forgot she stood down as CEO of Essendon and was President of her local Mosque.

Charlie Hedbo really Shocked Shocked

The more subtle issue however is a tricky one for individuals with religious beliefs and the policy of inclusion that sporting clubs pursue.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:44 am

I’m an atheist and fairly left wing, but even I can see the hypocrisy in how Christians are treated compared to Muslims etc with exactly the same views. An Iranian coworker who is gay had friends who were hung or pushed off a building back in Iran. Yet criticise the ultra conservative side of Islam here and you’re attacked as racist. I’m done with my fellow left, the biggest hypocrites on the planet. At least right wingers are consistent.
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:19 am

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:

I forgot she stood down as CEO of Essendon and was President of her local Mosque.

The more subtle issue however is a tricky one for individuals with religious beliefs and the policy of inclusion that sporting clubs pursue.

Her stance on homosexuality is more definitive that Thorburns. He is part of a church that has questionable views, she on the other hand has specifically and personally refused to wear a jumper promoting gay pride.
Only someone who is blind by their own ideology wil not be able to see the hypocrisy.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:03 pm

slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:

Her stance on homosexuality is more definitive that Thorburns. He is part of a church that has questionable views, she on the other hand has specifically and personally refused to wear a jumper promoting gay pride.
Only someone who is blind by their own ideology wil not be able to see the hypocrisy.

Sorry I did say the more subtle issues facing individuals vs your reference to Charlie Hedbo.

These are complicated issues for people of all faiths however the issue at hand here is the CEO position at Essendon. It was a poor decision as the person was head of a church that front and centre is non inclusive but for me the bigger issue was his behaviour when working for the NAB, an utter scumbag to say the least. Most unchristian to rip people off not just individually but systemically.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Jesus Christ today would walk into NAB HQ and throw their tables over in disgust at Thorburn’s role at the bank.
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:10 pm

watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
slangman wrote:

Sorry I did say the more subtle issues facing individuals vs your reference to Charlie Hedbo.

These are complicated issues for people of all faiths however the issue at hand here is the CEO position at Essendon. It was a poor decision as the person was head of a church that front and centre is non inclusive but for me the bigger issue was his behaviour when working for the NAB, an utter scumbag to say the least. Most unchristian to rip people off not just individually but systemically.

I think that the Charlie Hebdo incident is very relevant to why the media seems to walk on eggshells in n regards to some of the teachings of Islam.

As to his performance as CEO of NAB, that is a seperate discussion and is not the reason behind the ultimatum that he was given. I agree that purely based on his performance at the bank that he was a poor choice by Essendon.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:37 pm

^ Fair enough although I don’t agree with your analysis of the Hedbo incident. The decision making by Essendon showed a clear lack of due diligence & looks like David Barham is a cowboy.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm

slangman wrote:

Spot on

"Andrew Thorburn’s religious beliefs have him turfed out of Essendon FC. Haneen Zreika, for the second year running, refuses to play in the Pride Game due religious beliefs. Sydney Swans sponsored by Qatar Air where LGBT is banned. But nothing to see here."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: