Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who can be a Pies Champion?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Post subject: Who can be a Pies Champion?Reply with quote

Geelong's reign at the top for 11/15 Preliminary Finals is simple to explain. They've had consecutive eras of bona fide champions to which they've been able to build around and supplement with new recruits. For example:

2007-2011 Period:

* Bartel
* Stevie J
* Selwood
* Hawkins
* Scarlett
* Enright
* Chapman

2015-2021 Period:

* Dangerfield
* Selwood
* Hawkins
* T Stewart
* J Cameron

So what is a champion in modern AFL times? To me it's:

* multiple All-Australian
* consistent match winner
* worse games are 8/10
* Durable
* Regularly win 50:50 contests and big moments
* Peer adulation

How many Champions have the Pies had since 2000? My opinion would suggest only:

* Nathan Buckley
* James Clement
* Dane Swan
* Scott Pendlebury
* Brodie Grundy: yes some may disagree but I think he cops a bad wrap for his wage more than his excellent output year in year out.

But that aside, here lies the fundamental principle going forward. We need to cultivate a talent I.D, recruitment, development, fitness team and rewards program that build a cluster of matchwinners. Obviously it's easier said the done but despite the cyclical nature of AFL Geelong should be the inspiration and the template. We have never been able to cultivate and sustain 4-6 champions during the same premiership window period unlike Brisbane 2001-2004, hence the lack of silverware in our cabinet.

Who on our list could develop to champion and match winner status?

* Darcy Moore: two factors are fitness and father. The first one is obvious and the second a hindrance. Darcy has been at the club for 2 contracts and ALL of them have been a struggle to sign. With FREE AGENCY at 2022 year's end, how about committing to the future vs holding out!

* Nick Daicos: yes he hasn't played a game but the likely number one draft pick has all of the tools. Hopefully the club does too.

* Jordan DeGoey: has all the tools except for the head. Hopefully the penny drops and similar to Moore simply signs of long-term without all the FREE AGENCY histrionic distractions.

Naturally the jury is out on Henry, McInnes, Poulter, Macrae, Kelly and Co. just yet in terms of their upper-echelon trajectory but optimism should exist. But hopefully we can sync all of the necessary parts to have an era that surpasses the brevity of 2018-2020.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great analysis I88.

It's all subjective I guess, but I'd rate Maynard and Crisp as champion players as well. To me champion players are those who would walk straight into any other team in the comp.

What we clearly need is at least one champion key forward.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:29 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Great analysis I88.

It's all subjective I guess, but I'd rate Maynard and Crisp as champion players as well. To me champion players are those who would walk straight into any other team in the comp.

What we clearly need is at least one champion key forward.

I quibbled about them but also did so in regards to harry Taylor and James Kelly for the Cats. Crisp and Maynard are what I would classify as "Top players" Razz

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:33 pm

I'd add Didak to that list of champions since 2000.

Quote:
* worse games are 8/10
* Durable
* Peer adulation

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I'd add Didak to that list of champions since 2000.

Quote:
* worse games are 8/10
* Durable
* Peer adulation

Reckon he fell "just short". If in 2008 he hadn't stuffed up and been banned for the last 6 weeks of the year, he would have won the B&F and snared a third All Australian to his resume'. Plus combined with his last 3 years being injury affected means that I ranked him more as a top player vs a champion. Very Happy

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:35 pm

JDG and Moore are pivotal to the team and should either sign at an amount that is fair and reasonable for both the player and club or be honest if their main desire is maximum money.
This would enable the club to trade them or anyone else who is not invested in the McCrae journey and replace them with players who are on the same page as the coach.

Having said that, I believe that Moore will be our next captain.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:27 pm

slangman wrote:
JDG and Moore are pivotal to the team and should either sign at an amount that is fair and reasonable for both the player and club or be honest if their main desire is maximum money.
This would enable the club to trade them or anyone else who is not invested in the McCrae journey and replace them with players who are on the same page as the coach.

Having said that, I believe that Moore will be our next captain.

Yep, I'm thinking that the pendulum in recent years has swung too much towards the players' favour in terms of reasonable financial reward for their skills and talents, so I reckon your statement is spot on ....... except for one aspect. It's McRae!! (and Fin Macrae). All the other macs (Reef, Beau and Liam) are "Mc" . Wink
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:42 pm
Post subject: Re: Who can be a Pies Champion?Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Geelong's reign at the top for 11/15 Preliminary Finals is simple to explain. They've had consecutive eras of bona fide champions to which they've been able to build around and supplement with new recruits. For example:

2007-2011 Period:

* Bartel
* Stevie J
* Selwood
* Hawkins
* Scarlett
* Enright
* Chapman

2015-2021 Period:

* Dangerfield
* Selwood
* Hawkins
* T Stewart
* J Cameron

So what is a champion in modern AFL times? To me it's:

* worse games are 8/10
* Durable
* Peer adulation

How many Champions have the Pies had since 2000? My opinion would suggest only:

* Nathan Buckley
* James Clement
* Dane Swan
* Scott Pendlebury
* Brodie Grundy: yes some may disagree but I think he cops a bad wrap for his wage more than his excellent output year in year out.

But that aside, here lies the fundamental principle going forward. We need to cultivate a talent I.D, recruitment, development, fitness team and rewards program that build a cluster of matchwinners. Obviously it's easier said the done but despite the cyclical nature of AFL Geelong should be the inspiration and the template. We have never been able to cultivate and sustain 4-6 champions during the same premiership window period unlike Brisbane 2001-2004, hence the lack of silverware in our cabinet.

Who on our list could develop to champion and match winner status?

* Darcy Moore: two factors are fitness and father. The first one is obvious and the second a hindrance. Darcy has been at the club for 2 contracts and ALL of them have been a struggle to sign. With FREE AGENCY at 2022 year's end, how about committing to the future vs holding out!

* Nick Daicos: yes he hasn't played a game but the likely number one draft pick has all of the tools. Hopefully the club does too.

* Jordan DeGoey: has all the tools except for the head. Hopefully the penny drops and similar to Moore simply signs of long-term without all the FREE AGENCY histrionic distractions.

Naturally the jury is out on Henry, McInnes, Poulter, Macrae, Kelly and Co. just yet in terms of their upper-echelon trajectory but optimism should exist. But hopefully we can sync all of the necessary parts to have an era that surpasses the brevity of 2018-2020.

It would be good yeah, to have a bevy of champions.

Jordy should become one if he is dedicated. He has indeed shopped himself around a bit previously but he seems to love the club and should re-sign.

I think Moore took ages in 2018 but last year he wanted a long-term deal which COVID would not allow but he pretty much signed on the day after the season ended.

I know most Woods fans don't like Peter Moore but is it Darcy's fault that Peter is his father? Or is a hindrance to him?

We would hope that Nick Daicos matches the hype too.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:31 am

Not so interested in 'stand out' individuals. More interested in the orchestrating of better team dynamics, cohesion between players, unity of purpose, and greater connectedness. For way too long we have been a 'fractured' team of inconsistent individuals, rather than a unified whole.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 am

I'll add to the list - these guys were champions:
- Scott Burns
- Alan Didak
- Heath Shaw
- Nick Maxwell
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:41 pm

mattdally wrote:
I'll add to the list - these guys were champions:
- Scott Burns
- Alan Didak
- Heath Shaw
- Nick Maxwell

Loved them all but they all weren't bona fide game changers or match winners. Top top players though. three of the above were rebounding defenders, enough said.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:27 pm

I remember sitting in the stands watching Pendles first game. The way he moved, where he positioned himself and how he used the ball with limited possessions. Said then he looked exceptional.

Finlay Macrae reminds me so much of watching Pendles back then

Poulter, McCreery, Henry - look like they could be anything also but Finlay for me looks like he could be an absolute steel.

Quincy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:26 pm

MJ23 wrote:
I remember sitting in the stands watching Pendles first game. The way he moved, where he positioned himself and how he used the ball with limited possessions. Said then he looked exceptional.

Finlay Macrae reminds me so much of watching Pendles back then

Poulter, McCreery, Henry - look like they could be anything also but Finlay for me looks like he could be an absolute steel.

We hope so.

Pendles has been a great player but is not a matchwinner in my book compared with the great midfielders going around today.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:39 pm

A look at not a yet champ but the beginnings of a very good footballer

Go to Collingwood Website and see Beau,s Best

5:11pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:17 am

Didak … Bang, bang!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: