Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Grundy thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
OK, but that's not Grundy's job. He doesn't have to manage the salary cap. There is someone being paid more than Grundy (most likely to do that)!!!!!

It's absurd to suggest Ned Guy was paid more than $7 million! And Grundy is an adult. He has to have known that demanding a mega-contract would have consequences. I can't believe he and the senior coach had temper tantrums this year at the media about it. It's obvious a mega-contract will attract scrutiny.

E wrote:
You are attacking the wrong person.

Stating that Grundy is overpaid in a busted salary cap is not "attacking" Grundy.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:43 am

K wrote:
E wrote:
OK, but that's not Grundy's job. He doesn't have to manage the salary cap. There is someone being paid more than Grundy (most likely to do that)!!!!!

It's absurd to suggest Ned Guy was paid more than $7 million! And Grundy is an adult. He has to have known that demanding a mega-contract would have consequences. I can't believe he and the senior coach had temper tantrums this year at the media about it. It's obvious a mega-contract will attract scrutiny.

E wrote:
You are attacking the wrong person.

Stating that Grundy is overpaid in a busted salary cap is not "attacking" Grundy.

ongoing discussion is a bit redundant, but one more time

1. Players can ask for whatever salary they want. Salary cap is not their job. its up to the club to manage their salary cap.

2. of course stating that he is paid a lot not a direct attack. making him culpable for our losses (including the 2018 grand final) now that he is highly paid is a direct attack. And its based solely on his salary and not his performance because none of this was spoken about before his salary increased and he is literally exactly the same player!!!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 am

E wrote:
Players can ask for whatever salary they want. Salary cap is not their job

True but there's asking what you're worth and there's taking the piss aka Tayla Harris. As I recall after 2018, Pies players agreed to backend up to $40k of their annual salary to stay on; while it was reported that some Richmond players took actual paycuts. We all know what happened in 2019-2020

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:39 pm

That's 2 from 2.

I say trade him for a bucket load of 1st rounders and dump the full contract.

The ruckmen need only be competitive on a modest salary. Oh, yeah, winning 50 HO's a game stuffing them all down the oppos throat is something we can do without.

The evidence is mounting!

By the way, I am a Grundy fan, just not a fan of his pay check and HO's, which are both crippling us.

Floreat Pica.

MONCO: Your life.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
That's 2 from 2.

The ruckmen need only be competitive on a modest salary. Oh, yeah, winning 50 HO's a game stuffing them all down the oppos throat is something we can do without.

The evidence is mounting!

By the way, I am a Grundy fan, just not a fan of his pay check and HO's, which are both crippling us.

Floreat Pica.

Agree 100%....but if you think we get more than a late first rounder at best you are sorely mistaken
Fino 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Trade him ASAP.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:09 pm

2020- No Gawn with Grundy, Collingwood get smashed
2021- With Gawn, no Grundy, Collingwood win
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:15 pm
Post subject: Brody GrundyReply with quote

Am i too much of a conspiracist or has Grundy been stranegly absent through the whole Buckely departure over the last couple weeks? If we are to believe the rumors from earlier in the year he is one of a few to have particular issue with the coach... I know he was injured, and may well have been away form the club, but I havent seen him in any of the media the club has published over the last couple weeks.

In addition - I note he wasnt in Sydney with the team when Adams and Howe were, but I suppose they are in leadership roles and there were also lots of younger other guys who didnt make the trip either...

I don't begrudge him the contract he is on, but am I being too cynical to ask if he's invested in Collingwood as some of the other players appear to be?

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Brody GrundyReply with quote

piffdog wrote:
In addition - I note he wasnt in Sydney with the team when Adams and Howe were, but I suppose they are in leadership roles and there were also lots of younger other guys who didnt make the trip either...

Yeah, when Tay and Howe appeared in the rooms and the circle singing the song, it made very obvious the absence of Grundy and Cox.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:

E wrote:
You are attacking the wrong person. ...

2. of course stating that he is paid a lot not a direct attack. making him culpable for our losses (including the 2018 grand final) now that he is highly paid is a direct attack. ...

I did not blame him for the loss of any game. I certainly did not blame him for the loss of the GF. Many things went wrong in the GF. I don't blame a single person for it.

The context of the GF discussion was this post.
Said by Zed wrote:
... However, what isn’t reflected in his stats are how many times he also actually costs us in games especially with regard to momentum. How many times after we score a hard fought goal does Grundy undo everything by tapping it down the throat of the opposing ruck or midfielder for an easy goal to counter immediately. ...

It reminded me of this incident.
K wrote:

The most painful example was the '18 GF, Q4. Was it after that monster JdG goal on the run?

Grundy gave away a free kick at the centre bounce that followed. I didn't see what for. Dunno if there is video of it out there. But it killed off the surge we had to start Q4. Sad

(And this of course was when Nic Nat was out for the year with a knee reco.)
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 pm

Monco Matt wrote:

But how can the club dump the full contract? Another club would have to be willing to take it on.

Question
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Wayne Carey:

"It wouldn’t be surprising if Brodie Grundy or Josh Kelly ended their careers at different clubs too, because of how quickly things can change.

When Grundy signed his seven-year deal, the Magpies were premiership contenders.

Now, they’re obviously rebuilding with a new coach, new football boss, a new president and maybe a different board to the one that sanctioned those seven years."
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:58 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Grundy did some good things but again we are just not getting the most out of his tap work, as always. The ball is going the other way too much from the stoppages. He wasn't the reason we lost but although he did kick a goal in the last I just wonder about his value given his cost. We were too top heavy today in any case.

Total Hit Outs: Collingwood 29-20 Freo.
Total Clearances: Collingwood 23-34 Freo.

Compare that with St K-Richmond last night:
Hit Outs: Ryder/Marshall 42-19 Mabior Chol/Samson Ryan.
Clearances: St K 42-23 Richmond.
Their clearance dominance matched their hit-out dominance.

Dave The Man wrote:
I am a Fan of Grundy but I do feel Darcy Beat him in the Ruck. Pushed him Around to Easily.

Darcy probably goes under the radar in Vic because he plays for Freo.

afl.com.au's take:

"Despite a relatively even hitout battle between Brodie Grundy and the fresh-off-a-new-contract Sean Darcy, the Dockers controlled the clearances in the first half...

The Dockers locked Darcy away until the end of 2024 this week, and the rising ruck was coming up against one of the biggest names of the competition in Brodie Grundy. The two had an intriguing clash – the Pie showed no signs of his neck injury (and his recent haircut hasn't diminished any powers) recording 27 hitouts, 22 disposals and two goals. But Darcy was a brute at centre bounces, regularly booting the ball long and finishing with a game-high nine clearances."

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Bring back Lynch!

2 wins from 2 games with Lynch, without Grundy;
2 wins from 12 games with Grundy, without Lynch.

Grundy looks like a bad-luck charm!

But we'd need more with-Lynch-without-Grundy data...

OTOH, a few years ago Buckley did use the Pies' win-loss record with Reid as one reason not to pick Reid... (The Reid camp of course was not happy!)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 am

Of course, we do know that's all drivel.

Darcy had a good game and got a coaches' vote. Grundy had a better game and got 2.

Looking at the stats, it's easy to see what actually happened. Since Darcy took over as Fremantle's first ruck in round 5 (Lloyd Meek started the season in that role), he's averaged nearly 34 hitouts per game (that puts him second on average in the competition behind only - of course - Grundy). He had just 19 against Collingwood - that's the least he's managed since he took over as first ruck (and contrasts with the 40 he got the previous week). He attended 57 ruck contests, so he won just a third of the hitouts. Just 6 of those went to advantage. Grundy attended 56 ruck contests for 27 hitouts, 10 of which went to advantage. Between them, the other three players who attended the ruck contests (Lobb, Cameron and Acres) managed a total of 3 hitouts, 1 to advantage (Lobb).

Around the ground, Grundy was much more damaging. The usual whining is that Grundy doesn't take marks or kick goals. He took three contested marks, 3 marks inside 50 and kicked 2 goals. That performance would have won the game for Collingwood, if it hadn't been for the inability of our hopelessly weakened defence to keep Lobb under wraps.

Darcy did get a couple of clearances from the centre with big kicks. Ultimately, though, the game was lost because our mids couldn't get a clearance, even when Grundy put it on a plate for them, and our team couldn't turn its vast advantage in disposals and marks into scores. I presume we all know that's because our forward line is awful. It isn't because Grundy won the ruck, took contested marks, kicked goals, had 7 score involvements and managed 22 disposals. Even last year, when Collingwood won the ruck 51 to 28 (and Grundy took Darcy to the cleaners, with 43 hitouts to 19, a goal, 2 contested marks and 2 marks inside 50), we lost because our forwards were poor. Our forwards managed 3 goals that day (of the 7, WHE, Mihocek and Stephenson each got 1 and the others were kicked by Sidebottom, 2, Grundy and Sier), despite a substantial advantage in inside 50s. Taberner won the game with 4 goals. In 2019, Fyfe and Hill beat us, despite Grundy monstering Fremantle's rucks (team hitouts 53 to 15). The last time we beat Freo was 2018. Again, Grundy monstered them in the ruck (team hitouts were 62 to 25). That year, though, our forwards occasionally got the ball and Collingwood won by more than 10 goals. Since 2018, we haven't been able to beat Fremantle with a massive ruck advantage because our team lacks pace and class around the ball and has an incompetent forward line. It's scarcely surprising that, on a day when Darcy almost broke even in the ruck, Fremantle again won because our team lacks pace and class around the ball and has an incompetent forward line.

Sure it wasn't Grundy's best game last week (though he was rated Collingwood's third best by the coaches) but the continuing moronic noise about him whenever an opposition ruckman touches the ball against him is wearing thin.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:01 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Geez, one of those last centre bounces when the opposition ruckman just snatched the ball from him and kicked long...disappointing to say the least, needed to lock that ball in, and cost us a goal

afl.com.au: "But Darcy was a brute at centre bounces, regularly booting the ball long and finishing with a game-high nine clearances."

Of those, 5 centre clearances to Darcy.

Grabbing the ball and kicking it is the most reliable way most ruckmen can get the clearance. The ruckman needs to stop his opponent being able to do it. And of course, it isn't a hit out so it won't show when fanboys fixate on meaningless hit outs. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 24 of 39   

Jump to: