Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Johnny Depp/Amber Heard

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder when the decision on this going to be handed down?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:57 pm

^ They say late September.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:43 pm

Thanks.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Waiting.... waiting... wai... oh she's countersuing him now. And accusing him of avoiding the final date and smearing her name online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2krXq8fw90

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 am

Where's the dignity? Laughing
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 am

Aquaman came on right after the Brownlow last night, and I thought what the hell ended up happening here?

Still going to the courts I see.

I wonder how the new Fantastic Beasts film will be? Considering its being filmed around this case and Depp is in the film. Surely he'd be off his game?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:30 am

I think a lot of actors are professional enough to put stuff like that to one side – consider Husbands and Wives, in which lead actress Mia Farrow discovered during the production that her then-partner, Woody Allen (who was both directing her and playing her husband in the film), was having an affair with her stepdaughter, Soon-Yi. They managed to complete the film anyway, and it’s still considered by many to be one of Allen’s best.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Depp has lost his case against The Sun:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/02/johnny-depp-loses-libel-case-against-sun-over-claims-he-beat-ex-wife-amber-heard

Quote:
Lisa King, the director of communications and external relations at the domestic violence charity Refuge, said: “This is an important ruling and one which we hope sends a very powerful message: every single survivor of domestic abuse should be listened to and should be heard. No survivor should ever have her voice silenced.

A common tactic used by perpetrators of domestic abuse is to repeatedly tell victims that no one will believe them – and to use power and control to try and silence them. What we have seen today is that power, fame and financial resources cannot be used to silence women. That is a welcome message for survivors of domestic abuse around the world.

“We stand in solidarity with Amber Heard, who has shown immense bravery in speaking up and speaking out.”

I mean, Heard was herself accused of domestic violence against him, and was recorded on tape at one point saying that no-one would believe him if he talked about it, so ... interesting conclusion. Shocked
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 pm

The comments section on this thread seems pretty unanimous.

https://www.celebitchy.com/687296/johnny_depp_lost_his_libel_lawsuit_against_the_sun_after_they_called_him_a_wife_beater/#comments
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Unbelievable.

Channel 7 have just reported that "yes, Depp is a wife beater".

I really thought it may have been fabricated. Maybe he really is a bad guy.

Only thing left to do now is add him to the Collingwood board. Or better yet, the new Pres!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am

Depp wins!

I’ve watched and read a fair bit. I have no idea what the truth is, but certainly, she was referring to him in that article, and he was never charged or found guilty of anything. Free speech? Just another stupid US amendment right that is totally out dated. Free speech should not mean you can say anything you want about anyone, be it true or not.

I believe him where usually I wouldn’t, not because I love him as Jack sparrow, because of his previous girlfriends and partners, his relationship with the mother of his children. His statement is very humble. And if you know anything about his history he’s stayed on good terms with his ex’s, and especially the mother of his kids.

And I don’t believe her because in her own recordings you can tell she leading him, goading him, why would she take so many damning photos? Film so many conversations? Stay when she had the money and people around her to facilitate leaving? I had never heard of Heard until they got together. And I do believe she just wanted more fame and stuff who gets hurt.

Personally I think they had a terribly toxic relationship. I don’t know the truth, but I do believe she had no right to put him on blast like that with no proof and with no convictions against Depp for her claims. If she wants to make such accusations she should do it in a court of law and not in the papers.

I don’t for a minute believe a woman should automatically be believed, and that every man is guilty.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 am

I haven't really been following this latest case closely, but I've found the social media discourse around it bewildering – people seem to be either Depp cheerleaders (mostly his fan club + opportunistic men's rights activists) or putting Heard on a pedestal as a champion of domestic violence survivors (the feminist op-ed crowd). Isn't it patently obvious that their relationship was terribly dysfunctional and mutually abusive? Why on earth would you – or should we – be picking sides in that context?

One of the most ironic aspects of defamation suits is that so much more of people's dirty laundry (in this case, literally!) gets dragged out in public, and neither side usually comes out looking good. Really not sure whom this case or this outcome really serves; if it's to get Depp's career back on track, well, I'm not sure if that's going to happen, but in any case it should never been in jeopardy over this to begin with. One more reason why we shouldn't be litigating people's private lives outside the specific context of criminal proceedings: it's just messy and ugly and serves nobody's interests.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:29 pm

I totally agree but I get why Depp pursued it, as he said in the blink of an eye she destroyed his reputation, his career, and hurt everyone around him. With no proof whatsoever.

Shame on the journalist for printed her story.

One thing I will say, is This probably cost him the settlement maybe more in lawyers, when he had enough to go away and quietly live his life.

Watch the innocence project, it’s really enlightening, men spending years, decades, in prison because the won’t admit to a crime they did not commit, they get to the parole board and say how can I be sorry and remorseful for something I did not do?

Guilty people generally don’t go to court to clear their name if they don’t get ordered to.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm

Really not sure that last part is true – seems to me that defamation suits have absolutely been weaponised in recent years by people to silence their accusers. It was the one reason nobody could ever report on Jimmy Savile or Harvey Weinstein for so many years; they knew that these men would have defamation lawyers on their doorstep in a minute and that the truth wouldn't be enough to stop them being bankrupted.

Of course I'm sympathetic to the falsely accused and think they need recourse to justice. In Depp's case, he's now lost a defamation case in one jurisdiction (i.e. finding that it was fair for a newspaper to call him a "wife-beater") and won in another (related to much vaguer allegations). Not sure where that leaves us.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:36 pm

On the divergent responses, this is what I find most perplexing from the pro-Heard camp:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/01/amber-heard-johnny-depp-trial-metoo-backlash

Quote:
Instead, there’s been tremendous focus on Heard’s mistakes and worst moments over the course of her relationship with Depp. As is typical of domestic abuse victims, Heard does seem to have done things many of us would not be proud of. She fought back. Depp’s outbursts and insults left Heard resentful and angry with him, and sometimes, she told him so. Many are quick to point out that Heard is not a perfect victim. We are told that the lawsuit is “complicated”. But no woman is. We are told that the lawsuit is “complicated.” But the lawsuit is not complicated. It is abuse. Now, that abuse has been sanctioned by a jury.

[…]

No victim is perfect. No victim should have to be. After all, if a man cannot be considered abusive towards an imperfect woman, then just how perfect does a woman need to be before it becomes wrong to beat her?

So many weasel words here: "mistakes"; "done things"; "imperfect". Nobody is accusing Heard of not being "perfect"; these "mistakes", from what has been reported, include multiple alleged incidents of physical violence (not self-defence, but assault). That is domestic violence, and is understood, I presume, by most of us to be abusive.

So in a mutually violent relationship, who gets to be the aggressor and who gets to be the victim who is merely "fighting back"? Or is the second just the woman's role by default?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: