Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

RWC Final - Aust v Eng - Who will win?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:41 pm
Post subject: RWC Final - Aust v Eng - Who will win?Reply with quote

Can Australia do 3 World Cups? Can England shut down the "Midfield Messiah" Stirling Mortlock and grind their way to a Webb Ellis Trophy?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a book have no title?
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:52 pm

Is a book known as "The book formerly known as....." without title or is that still considered a title?
i_luv_tarkyn! Scorpio

Dream Big!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:59 pm

can the australians shut dowm jonny wilkenson???
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:01 pm

It depends on the environmental factors.
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:09 pm

Who's the ref will be a big question. A southern hemisphere ref like Paddy O'Brien (NZL) or Andre Watson (RSA) would favour AUS style of play whereas a traffic-cop from Britain is obviously in ENG favour.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:49 pm

I reakon the team at the end with the more points will be the winners....

Cheers

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:08 pm

Poms will win, alas!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:17 pm

Andre Watson has been selected to referee the final.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:22 pm

We'll win it, doubt they can score a try against us now and the frogs didn't hunt Wilkinson, we got burnt by him a couple of test ago against them, and shut him down fairly well in our last meeting, our bigest danger is ourselves, we just need to click, hang onto the ball, go forward and get it out to the backs!
CAR'N AUSSIE!!!

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:10 am

"There are three great international team sports in Australia: cricket, rugby (two codes), and Pom-bashing.

But the greatest of these is the last, and it is time we prepared ourselves for the greatest celebration of Pom-bashing since Bodyline, the 1930s cricket tour that became an international incident.

That one rankles to this day and is otherwise known as the longest whinge in sporting history."

The Times's Simon Barnes anticipates an upturn in anti-English feeling in the Australian media ahead of the rugby World Cup final.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:07 pm

England killing rugby
By Peter Jenkins
November 18, 2003

FORMER Test stars have branded England as boring, their style of play a turnoff, and have implored the Wallabies to win the World Cup to strike a blow for entertainment.

Russell Fairfax and Brett Papworth, two of Australia's most flamboyant players of the past 30 years, led the posse wanting to see the pragmatic Poms pulverised in Saturday's global decider.

"They're here to win and they don't care how they do it," said Fairfax in the wake of England's tryless 24-7 win over France.

"But they're killing the game with performances like Sunday's.

"You can't just put it down to the weather. They've played like that throughout the tournament. They are so bloody boring.

"If you want to give an opposition sport ammunition to run down rugby union, show that semi-final over and over again. If you want an advertisement for the game, the best advertisement for the World Cup so far, then show someone the Saturday semi-final (Australia versus New Zealand)."

Papworth agreed England are boring but added: "France and New Zealand were certainly not boring and they are out of the tournament. England are playing to their strengths. While it might be boring for the spectators, they care only about winning."

Fairfax said an Australian victory would be a positive for rugby.

"The fans don't want to see what the Poms served up on Sunday night. Even rugby purists want a contest, not a kickfest.

"For the Wallabies to win the final it won't just be good for Australian rugby, it will be good for rugby in general.

"People want to be entertained. Rugby fans or non-rugby fans, they want to see a spectacle."

Papworth believes the English reliance on their forward firepower and five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson could bring them undone if the Australian pack can replicate their aggressive approach against the All Blacks.

"I do think they were a better team six months ago than they are now," he said. "They've had a long campaign over the last year or so.

"But it will take another near perfect game from the Wallabies because whenever England get within 30 metres of your line, they invariably come away with points.

"They wait for penalties knowing Wilkinson will kick them or Jonny just knocks over a drop goal.

"If they get in your 30-metre zone eight or 10 times a game, they'll get seven or eight three-point results and that means you have to score a few tries.

"The advantage for us is that they're pretty predictable.

"If I was coaching Australia, I'd back the defence and not contest too much at the breakdown.

"Keep your hands off the ball, don't risk giving away penalties and let the Poms go their hardest.

"I'd be saying 'here you go, it's your ball, do your best boys'."

Injured Wallaby star Toutai Kefu claimed the "Poms aren't pretty", referring to their rugby.

"But they are very effective," he said. "No other team can play like them. They can put a stranglehold on you in your own 22."

Former Wallaby captain Andrew Slack defended Australia's final opponents, claiming they have shown in the past 18 months they can thrill as well as kill.

He cited the victory over Australia in Melbourne in June, when English forwards unleashed ball-playing and running skills, and Ben Cohen burst off a wing for a spectacular match-turning try.

"I don't think they've played as well as they can at the World Cup but they've played intelligently," Slack said.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:10 pm

I dont have any problems with the England game style. They have a master in Wilkinson and play to their strengths. All that matters is the total at the end of the game. I doubt the same questions would be asked if that was the strength of the Australians.

In Basketball you still get the same points for a lay up as you do a reverse dunk etc. It also doesnt matter whether you score your points in twos or threes or how you get them.

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: