Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Million dollar win by Appleby

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:24 pm
Post subject: Million dollar win by ApplebyReply with quote

Appleby wins playoff
From correspondents in Las Vegas - Fox Sports
October 13, 2003

AUSTRALIA's Stuart Appleby dropped a 15-foot birdie putt on the first playoff hole to defeat American Scott McCarron and capture the US PGA Tour's $6.54 million Las Vegas Invitational today.

Appleby pumped his fist when he made the decisive putt to secure his fourth US tour victory and $1.04 million in prizemoney.

American McCarron had a chance to extend the playoff with a putt almost identical to Appleby's, but his shot broke left and slid by the hole.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought I could make it," said Appleby. "As it was going to the hole, I thought, 'It's a little slow, a little left,' but it dropped in."

Appleby and McCarron were tied at 31-under 328 at the end of the tournament's 90 holes.

Both missed birdie putts on 18 that could have won them the tournament in regulation – Appleby from about 16 feet and McCarron from about 12.

Appleby, the leader going into the final round, shot a three-under 69 today at the TPC Summerlin course and the win was his first since the Houston Open four years ago.

Buthe had a few things going for him this week.

He had finished second here last year, a shot behind Phil Tataurangi.

Appleby also came into the tournament with second-place finishes in his last two starts, including last week at the American Express Championship, where he finished in a tie with Tim Herron and Vijay Singh, two shots behind Tiger Woods.

McCarron closed with a six-under 66. It was another tough loss for McCarron in a tournament where he has consistently played well.

Two years ago he led by three shots going into the final round, but finished tied for fourth after his caddie accidentally broke his driver the night before the final 18 holes.

McCarron ran into some more bad luck today.

As he was preparing to hit his second shot in the playoff hole, a member of the on-course TV crew coughed loudly.

McCarron stepped back from his ball, looked over and asked, "Are you all right now? Good."

McCarron still hit a good shot, his ball nearly making contact with Appleby's on the green as it came to rest.

"He hacked up ... just as I was getting ready to hit," McCarron said. "For a guy like that who's supposed to be professional and doing his job, that was really out of line."

McCarron missed a short birdie putt on No.13 when a car screeched on a nearby street just as he took the putter back.

"I heard it and it broke my concentration," he said. "Things like that happen when you lose."

In contrast, Appleby had a big break on the tough par-3 17th hole for the second straight day.

His tee shot, as it did on Saturday, bounced left and headed for the pond that runs alongside the green. But, just like the day before, the ball stayed a couple of feet short of the hazard.

Appleby, who had taken a one-shot lead with a birdie on the par-five 16th, chipped up and made a bogey that left him tied with McCarron going to 18.

"Stuart's ball stays up on 17 twice. It was just his turn to win," said McCarron.

Steve Lowery shot a final round 67 and finished third, three shots back. Scott Verplank (67) was fourth at 332 and David Frost (65) next at 333.

Leading scores after4 the fifth and final round (USA unless noted):

328: Stuart Appleby (AUS) 62-68-63-66-69 (won with birdie at first hole of sudden death playoff), Scott McCarron 69-62-64-67-66

331: Steve Lowery 65-64-70-65-67

332: Scott Verplank 64-62-66-73-67

333: David Frost (RSA) 67-65-71-65-65

334: Steve Flesch 62-64-66-68-74, Woody Austin 65-65-65-72-67

335: Billy Andrade 66-71-65-66

336: Rory Sabbatini (RSA) 66-64-71-68-67, Phil Mickelson 67-64-69-68-68, Robert Allenby (AUS) 66-66-65-66-73, Jerry Kelly 65-67-65-73-66

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: