Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Concern for the state of AFL.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Matese ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Concern for the state of AFL.Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
derkd wrote:
I am taking a more holistic look at the situation, and like many, i thought the players at worst would be looking at a 6 month ban. The one thing i will say is that while perhaps in the light of day the punishment fits the crime and one year is fair. What is done is done, the Bombers for there part have to take there medicine and move on.

One issue i take from the whole WADA/ASADA situation is that it seems that if you fight your case you get crushed. Where as if you do a secret backroom deal with ASADA (ah la The NRL and the Sharks) you get a wrist slap and a 3 match ban? this hardly seems fair, don't think for a moment that i am suggest that Essendon got unfairly done by. But i think for consistency where was the coaching bans, two year bans for players, and fines handed to the Sharks?...in a Democratic system you have the right to fight your case right, wrong or indifferent.

I will say this straight off the bat, and many on here may disagree. I want to see Essendon get back on there feet as soon as possible and all clubs learn the lessons from this sorry saga.

Why? you may well all be asking, and it is that i have no love for the Bombers as a club. I am worried for the state of the code. What happens if Essendon sinks into the mire that Carlton fell into? what happens to ANZAC day as spectacle? And indeed what happens to the code? we may well start to fall behind the A-league and even the NRL as a preeminent sporting code and become a third or forth chose sport for kids at school.

Like i say, i am not soppy for the club or indeed the players. But i would like to see the AFL re-attain it status as Australia's premier code I feel that with recent events in general be it controversy and constant rule changes that crown has been slipping.

Feel free to post you opinions. I means this thread more as a discussion starter then a argument.

Got to disagree with you there. In our legal 'democratic' system, an early guilty plea always results in a reduced sentence. The Bombers chose to hide their actions and to fight ASADA all the way. The Cronulla sharks fessed up straight away to their crimes and faced the music 3 yrs ago. Given the length of time and costs resulting from Hird and the bombers attempt at avoiding having to face up to their disgusting behaviour, they are lucky they didn't cop the full 2 yr ban.

in a nutshell

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:41 pm

I really couldn't GAF!

Corrupted shit!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
I really couldn't GAF!

Corrupted shit!

And... if they weren't shit then, then they are shit now eh!?

Dyso

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 pm

i don't think the player suspensions are the biggest issue re the impact to the game. its only 16 odd players, and its only one season. Double that will most likely have season ending injuries this year. Of course essendon will be weak, but one or two teams usually are. Remember GWS's first season.

Its the still to be played out court cases / suing that could cripple essendon, and potentially drag the AFL into it, involving lengthy negotiations / hearings etc, that if not concluded amicably, could severely dent the fabric of the game & render the bombers a financial basket case.

I still don't get the 'going after the afl' stuff. Unless Dimmy acted in a way that was prejudicial to the players interests, they and the club are at fault. end of. I think its pure deflection to blame the afl in any way for them being found guilty of taking banned substances. its obviously easier for the players and supporters (read Mark Robinson) to attack someone other than their beloved club, but I think this will fade, now that Hird is gone, and the players realise that they were the victims of a severe lack of 'duty of care' by their club.

I also think that Gillon smashed Robinson yesterday on Fox Footy... and needless to say that if the club in question was Carlton or Collingwood, Robbo would've absolutely lined us up, all of the way. His major conflict of interest finally rendering his journalistic integrity as sub-standard at best, and laughable at worst. He had the perfect opportunity to put his fan hat to one side and speak the hard truth - which is supposed to be his bag - and set in stone his credibility forever... but he bowed to his links to the club & love of Hird, & blew it.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Players covered up the injections by pretending they were not happening when asked by ASADA testers. Complicity and culture of what happens in the hangar stays in the hanger finally exposed. Justice at last.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
...I also think that Gillon smashed Robinson yesterday on Fox Footy... and needless to say that if the club in question was Carlton or Collingwood, Robbo would've absolutely lined us up, all of the way. His major conflict of interest finally rendering his journalistic integrity as sub-standard at best, and laughable at worst. He had the perfect opportunity to put his fan hat to one side and speak the hard truth - which is supposed to be his bag - and set in stone his credibility forever... but he bowed to his links to the club & love of Hird, & blew it.

CS, just edited that terrific post to ask a question: was that on AFL360, or another show? And can you advise when it will be replayed?
I'll have to go over to Mum's to watch it...
I'd love to see The Drunk taken down by GilMc!

Dyso

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:37 pm

piedys wrote:
CS, just edited that terrific post to ask a question: was that on AFL360, or another show? And can you advise when it will be replayed?

Dyso

AFL360, Dyso.

Not listed for replay on Fox Footy anytime soon, but you can watch it on YouTube below:

https://youtu.be/cEVzmUXH5kE

(Interview starts at about the 22 minute mark)...

I made the observation on Twitter that Gil did to Robbo what Rocca did to Zac Dawson in 2006. Went down pretty well... Laughing
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:25 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
piedys wrote:

Dyso

AFL360, Dyso.

Not listed for replay on Fox Footy anytime soon, but you can watch it on YouTube below:

https://youtu.be/cEVzmUXH5kE

(Interview starts at about the 22 minute mark)...

I made the observation on Twitter that Gil did to Robbo what Rocca did to Zac Dawson in 2006. Went down pretty well... Laughing

Excellent! The Bat is back!
I'm just trying to download this with Clipgrab, so i can watch it on my TV.

Unless you can unearth a better bootleg link as .mp4 file from an alternate site? These questions I ask of the World's Greatest Detective...

Dyso

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Downloaded the WADA report and read all 48 pages of it, it is clear that other clubs are experimenting with this peptide shit.

Poor Bruce Reid, he is the only bloke at Essendrug i feel sorry for. And Zaharakis is the only player that had a brain.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:05 am

^ Of course they are!

ESS was just unlucky they got busted.

The whole AFL is corrupt!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:30 am

Cam wrote:
Players covered up the injections by pretending they were not happening when asked by ASADA testers. Complicity and culture of what happens in the hangar stays in the hanger finally exposed. Justice at last.

Exactly right. Nothing more needs to be said.

The players blatantly LIED and are now paying the consequences of being totally bloody dishonest with the authorities. Evil or Very Mad Mad

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:09 am
Post subject: Re: Concern for the state of AFL.Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
derkd wrote:
I am taking a more holistic look at the situation, and like many, i thought the players at worst would be looking at a 6 month ban. The one thing i will say is that while perhaps in the light of day the punishment fits the crime and one year is fair. What is done is done, the Bombers for there part have to take there medicine and move on.

One issue i take from the whole WADA/ASADA situation is that it seems that if you fight your case you get crushed. Where as if you do a secret backroom deal with ASADA (ah la The NRL and the Sharks) you get a wrist slap and a 3 match ban? this hardly seems fair, don't think for a moment that i am suggest that Essendon got unfairly done by. But i think for consistency where was the coaching bans, two year bans for players, and fines handed to the Sharks?...in a Democratic system you have the right to fight your case right, wrong or indifferent.

I will say this straight off the bat, and many on here may disagree. I want to see Essendon get back on there feet as soon as possible and all clubs learn the lessons from this sorry saga.

Why? you may well all be asking, and it is that i have no love for the Bombers as a club. I am worried for the state of the code. What happens if Essendon sinks into the mire that Carlton fell into? what happens to ANZAC day as spectacle? And indeed what happens to the code? we may well start to fall behind the A-league and even the NRL as a preeminent sporting code and become a third or forth chose sport for kids at school.

Like i say, i am not soppy for the club or indeed the players. But i would like to see the AFL re-attain it status as Australia's premier code I feel that with recent events in general be it controversy and constant rule changes that crown has been slipping.

Feel free to post you opinions. I means this thread more as a discussion starter then a argument.

Got to disagree with you there. In our legal 'democratic' system, an early guilty plea always results in a reduced sentence. The Bombers chose to hide their actions and to fight ASADA all the way. The Cronulla sharks fessed up straight away to their crimes and faced the music 3 yrs ago. Given the length of time and costs resulting from Hird and the bombers attempt at avoiding having to face up to their disgusting behaviour, they are lucky they didn't cop the full 2 yr ban.

I totally agree Rudeboy. Essendon tried to treat us like morons and the AFL were complicit. It is one thing to defend yourself when you are innocent, but lying and deception (on an institutionally organized level) is tantamount to corruption and I absolutely believe that should be punished!!!!!

The saddest part of all of this is that if the club did a mea culpa and the coaches all admitted their obvious role in this mess (i.e., Dank did it all, but Hird and Co. intentionally turned a blind eye when they knew it was wrong), this mess would have been dealt with and put behind us.

Instead, we had to wheel out one of the best minds our country has ever had Justice Middleton, to stand up to these bafoons, which eventually led to their demise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: