Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jaidyn Stephenson be afforded the opportunity to wear the #35 throughout his career?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 28 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 45

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11 pm
Post subject: Time to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you but I've never liked the decision we made surrounding our #35 jumper.

To me it was a rushed decision made by a President basking in the euphoria of a Premiership win.

While I respect the playing career of Simon Prestigiacomo and his selfless decision to rule himself out of our 2010 Grand Final side for someone of my age the #35 is more intrinsically linked to that of Peter Daicos anyway.

Like many I'm sure, he remains my favourite all time Collingwood great and his number 35 was worn proudly on the back of my jumper so for me it's a great shame we have taken away the possibility this number will again adorn the backs of the next generation of supporters because no player will get the opportunity to make an entire career wearing it and the potential to become a star while doing so.

All football clubs have numbers more famous than others and while it might seem quaint to some I just like how it's a simple yet effective way of linking past greats of a club to modern day champions and keeping tradition alive in the face of a game increasingly imposing gimmicks on us the members and supporters.

So I respectfully ask of Ed to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35 for Collingwood because surely if their was ever a perfect moment, with the perfect player, then it's now with a footballer by the name of Jaidyn Stephenson.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no.

But I also believe that #35 should not be handed to our first draftee each year.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 pm

No.

#35 should be handed to young Mr Daicos.

#26 goes to young Mr Brown.

As for young Mr Stephenson, he can have the lowest spare number not allocated to any other required player for 2019 - i.e., #1.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 pm

Tannin wrote:
No.

#35 should be handed to young Mr Daicos.

#26 goes to young Mr Brown.

As for young Mr Stephenson, he can have the lowest spare number not allocated to any other required player for 2019 - i.e., #1.

I believe young messers Brown and Daicos were offered 26 and 35 respectively and declined as they wanted to make their own way.

I'm not a massive fan of this current thing of revolving 35 each year, nor do I particularly like 42 being retired, but It doesn't keep me awake at night stressing about it.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:28 am

Yes. It was always a silly gesture. Up there with Eddies millennium game idea.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 am
Post subject: Re: Time to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but I've never liked the decision we made surrounding our #35 jumper.

To me it was a rushed decision made by a President basking in the euphoria of a Premiership win.

While I respect the playing career of Simon Prestigiacomo and his selfless decision to rule himself out of our 2010 Grand Final side for someone of my age the #35 is more intrinsically linked to that of Peter Daicos anyway.

Like many I'm sure, he remains my favourite all time Collingwood great and his number 35 was worn proudly on the back of my jumper so for me it's a great shame we have taken away the possibility this number will again adorn the backs of the next generation of supporters because no player will get the opportunity to make an entire career wearing it and the potential to become a star while doing so.

All football clubs have numbers more famous than others and while it might seem quaint to some I just like how it's a simple yet effective way of linking past greats of a club to modern day champions and keeping tradition alive in the face of a game increasingly imposing gimmicks on us the members and supporters.

So I respectfully ask of Ed to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35 for Collingwood because surely if their was ever a perfect moment, with the perfect player, then it's now with a footballer by the name of Jaidyn Stephenson.

Seems like you could make the same case for number 42. There is a debate about the best way to honor greatness. Do you let others wear it to honor the memory or do you retire it to honor the legacy. i love the idea that no one in MLB wears the number 42 to honor Jackie Robinson.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:17 am

Where's the "whatever, it doesn't really matter" option?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:56 am

I'm voting yes, and considering one of my relatives wore 35 for Collingwood (Graeme Jonson) I believe I'm allowed to have an opinion on this one. I still think he should be allowed to chose his own number but I believe the number 35 should be allowed to build new legacy's, I've never been into retiring numbers and the such.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:24 am

I fully agree with Swoop 42. Giving #35 to a different player every year devalues it.

Sometimes the player doesn't succeed, sometimes the player suffers a season ending injury, sometimes like Stephenson he's a big success.

It was always a silly decision to change the player every year who wore #35.
Like Swoop 42, I've always associated #35 with Peter Daicos. Stephenson is worthy to take over the mantle. He should keep the number.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am

Voted no
Any evidence Stephenson wants 35?
Perhaps he has a favourite number pr doesnt give a ****

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am

If he wants it, let him keep it.

Bring 42 back.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:07 am

Only issue I have with giving it to our no.1 draft pick is I prefer to see it regularly on game day. We’re not going to get a Stepho each year where he plays the majority of games in the seniors.

Seeing the no.35 out there regularly ensures I reflect on the mercurial deeds of Daicos and selflessness of Presti.

I reckon rotate no.1 for our highest draft pick, and offer 35 to Stepho.

no. 42 needs to be a decision made by the family but I have similar sentiment to 35, I want to see it out there again.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 am

neil wrote:
Voted no
Any evidence Stephenson wants 35?
Perhaps he has a favourite number pr doesnt give a ****

I read yesterday he wanted no#16 but knows he won't get it (Chris Mayne has it) - #16 was the number he wore as a junior and of the player he idolised growing up (Jonathon Brown)

I am in favour of letting him keep the no#35 if he wants it, but if that eventuated does it then look like a slap in the face to all those prior who wore no#35 for one season and are still playing (such as Brodie Grundy & Jamie Elliott)?

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 am

As our first ever Rising Star winner, now is as good as any a time to make #35 a permanent number for Stephenson.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 am

Excerpt from Herald-Sun online (presume it's also in todays paper):

The Ferntree Gully boy expects to vacate the No. 35 after the finals, as per Collingwood tradition where the club’s top draft pick dons the famous number.
Stephenson grew up a Brisbane Lions fan idolising Jonathan Brown and wore his No. 16 as a junior.
“I’ll decide once the numbers open up,” Stephenson told the Herald Sun.
“I had a little chat to (Collingwood’s No. 16) Chris Mayne but I don’t think he’s too keen to give it up.”

I'll post the entire article in the rising star thread...

EDIT: link: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1863190#1863190

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: