Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 am
Post subject: Was Buckley really a good kick?Reply with quote

I was having a discussion with a work colleague this morning about Buckley's kicking. The general consensus with most posters was he was a great kick. My work colleague disagreed, he said although he could kick the ball long and flat, he oftened missed his target and he told me to check his statistics re goal to behind kicking ratio over his career. So I did.
In his career Buckley had a ratio of 284 to 262 which to me was pretty poor. I then checked a few other players. Lockett was 1360 to 590, Pendlebury was 157 to 96, Sidebottom was 139 to 90 and then I checked Patrick Dangerfield who is considered a poor kick at goal and he was going at 232 to 171. Clearly if it was goal shooting only Buckley would be considered very poorly. It is all about perception. Langdon to most posters is a lousy disposal of the ball yet he led the disposal efficiency this year at 83.8% at collingwood.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
regan is true fullback 



Joined: 27 Dec 2002
Location: Granville. nsw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best kicks over the journey were Barry Price and Geoff Raines. They were responsible for delivering the ball to McKenna, Taylor and Davis, who then kicked the goals. I remember Buckley kicking the thing one out to Sav Rocca, but on many occasions the fullback, Dunkley or Silvagni, would mark it or belt it away.

Buckley was never a goal kicker, but he made forwards look good. It is sad that during his career, we never had a dominant forward line.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Raw Hammer 



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Location: The Gutter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. This thread is priceless.
_________________
Est. 2002
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Piesnchess 



Joined: 09 Jun 2008


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.
_________________
Chess is the touchstone of the intellect-Goethe.

Some people see things and say why, I see things, and say, why not. ! - Robert Kennedy
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

It was about his kicking and he wasn't the greatest player in post war at collingwood full stop.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
regan is true fullback 



Joined: 27 Dec 2002
Location: Granville. nsw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, but was he a good kick?

Of course he was. But as a player, you could put him anywhere. I believe he is in the real team of the century at half back, ahead of Lucas and Kingston, for the demolition job he did on Wayne Carey.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood team of the century.
To be fair to Buckley he had only played a few years at collingwood when this team was announced so it was a good effort to be named.
The Team
B: Harold Rumney, Jack Regan, Syd Coventry (c)
HB: Billy Picken, Albert Collier, Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett, Bob Rose, Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill, Murray Weideman, Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne, Gordon Coventry, Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson, Des Tuddenham, Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw, Wayne Richardson, Marcus Whelan, Gavin Brown
Coach: Jock McHale
Picken wasn't a great kick either.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Piesnchess 



Joined: 09 Jun 2008


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

It was about his kicking and he wasn't the greatest player in post war at collingwood full stop.


I think Bob Roses opinion, carries FAR more weight than that of ours, for what its worth mate, come on, and from my memory Bucks was at least as good a kick as Pendles is, I don't recall him fluffing many, he did kick some very long goals. Surprised

_________________
Chess is the touchstone of the intellect-Goethe.

Some people see things and say why, I see things, and say, why not. ! - Robert Kennedy
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G


Joined: 21 Jan 1999
Location: Croydon Vic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The first week of trade period is pretty boring eh.

No doubt Bucks’ poor kicking is why we have a team of poor kicks 🙄

_________________
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

It was about his kicking and he wasn't the greatest player in post war at collingwood full stop.


I think Bob Roses opinion, carries FAR more weight than that of ours, for what its worth mate, come on, and from my memory Bucks was at least as good a kick as Pendles is, I don't recall him fluffing many, he did kick some very long goals. Surprised

The thing was his goal kicking by the stats alone was lousy. It is an interesting point. His DE ( disposal efficiency ) is not displayed or recorded as far as I know.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Location: Nicks BB member #617

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A super kick of the football and nearly always hit targets.
_________________
Genesis 1:1
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa Marmo wrote:
A super kick of the football and nearly always hit targets.

Please explain his goal kicking lousy stats!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Albert Parker 



Joined: 13 Dec 2012


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion - He wasn't a great set shot for goals (as those stats reveal) but his field kicking is as good as anyone playing the game today.
Yes, he was a great (field) kick.

_________________
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
A super kick of the football and nearly always hit targets.

Please explain his goal kicking lousy stats!


If you actually watched him play, you would note that A LOT of his behinds came from kicks from outside 50 on the run, under intense pressure. Others might not have even gotten a shot on goal. Plugger kicked a lot of goals from set shots 20 meters out. Plugger was a great kick for goal dont get me wrong, but to compare a midfielders goal kicking stats to a traditional full forward is pretty silly.

He was the best kick of the footy i have EVER seen.

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
A super kick of the football and nearly always hit targets.

Please explain his goal kicking lousy stats!


If you actually watched him play, you would note that A LOT of his behinds came from kicks from outside 50 on the run, under intense pressure. Others might not have even gotten a shot on goal. Plugger kicked a lot of goals from set shots 20 meters out. Plugger was a great kick for goal dont get me wrong, but to compare a midfielders goal kicking stats to a traditional full forward is pretty silly.

He was the best kick of the footy i have EVER seen.

I watched nearly everyone of his games. I don't think your explanation of kicking outside 50m really holds much weight. Your point about Plugger is valid. But Buckley's kicking for goal is still lousy in comparison to other mids.
My memory was he missed numerous targets with his kicks. But it was much more difficult to hit a target over 60m than over 20 t0 50m. So some leeway should be allowed for his long spearing kicks. Still I would love to see some stats on his kicking.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group