Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Buckley really a good kick?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am
Post subject: Was Buckley really a good kick?Reply with quote

I was having a discussion with a work colleague this morning about Buckley's kicking. The general consensus with most posters was he was a great kick. My work colleague disagreed, he said although he could kick the ball long and flat, he oftened missed his target and he told me to check his statistics re goal to behind kicking ratio over his career. So I did.
In his career Buckley had a ratio of 284 to 262 which to me was pretty poor. I then checked a few other players. Lockett was 1360 to 590, Pendlebury was 157 to 96, Sidebottom was 139 to 90 and then I checked Patrick Dangerfield who is considered a poor kick at goal and he was going at 232 to 171. Clearly if it was goal shooting only Buckley would be considered very poorly. It is all about perception. Langdon to most posters is a lousy disposal of the ball yet he led the disposal efficiency this year at 83.8% at collingwood.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best kicks over the journey were Barry Price and Geoff Raines. They were responsible for delivering the ball to McKenna, Taylor and Davis, who then kicked the goals. I remember Buckley kicking the thing one out to Sav Rocca, but on many occasions the fullback, Dunkley or Silvagni, would mark it or belt it away.

Buckley was never a goal kicker, but he made forwards look good. It is sad that during his career, we never had a dominant forward line.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 am

Hahaha. This thread is priceless.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

Piesnchess wrote:
I WILL take the last word on this from the late Bob Rose, whom many think was the Magpies greatest ever player. On Bucks, just before he passed away, Rose said, in his opinion, Buckley is the greatest player HE ever saw play for the PIes, end of story. This is fact.

It was about his kicking and he wasn't the greatest player in post war at collingwood full stop.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 am

Ah yes, but was he a good kick?

Of course he was. But as a player, you could put him anywhere. I believe he is in the real team of the century at half back, ahead of Lucas and Kingston, for the demolition job he did on Wayne Carey.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

Collingwood team of the century.
To be fair to Buckley he had only played a few years at collingwood when this team was announced so it was a good effort to be named.
The Team
B: Harold Rumney, Jack Regan, Syd Coventry (c)
HB: Billy Picken, Albert Collier, Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett, Bob Rose, Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill, Murray Weideman, Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne, Gordon Coventry, Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson, Des Tuddenham, Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw, Wayne Richardson, Marcus Whelan, Gavin Brown
Coach: Jock McHale
Picken wasn't a great kick either.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

masoncox wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

It was about his kicking and he wasn't the greatest player in post war at collingwood full stop.

I think Bob Roses opinion, carries FAR more weight than that of ours, for what its worth mate, come on, and from my memory Bucks was at least as good a kick as Pendles is, I don't recall him fluffing many, he did kick some very long goals. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

The first week of trade period is pretty boring eh.

No doubt Bucks’ poor kicking is why we have a team of poor kicks 🙄

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

Piesnchess wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I think Bob Roses opinion, carries FAR more weight than that of ours, for what its worth mate, come on, and from my memory Bucks was at least as good a kick as Pendles is, I don't recall him fluffing many, he did kick some very long goals. Surprised

The thing was his goal kicking by the stats alone was lousy. It is an interesting point. His DE ( disposal efficiency ) is not displayed or recorded as far as I know.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am

A super kick of the football and nearly always hit targets.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:

Please explain his goal kicking lousy stats!
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

My opinion - He wasn't a great set shot for goals (as those stats reveal) but his field kicking is as good as anyone playing the game today.
Yes, he was a great (field) kick.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm

masoncox wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

If you actually watched him play, you would note that A LOT of his behinds came from kicks from outside 50 on the run, under intense pressure. Others might not have even gotten a shot on goal. Plugger kicked a lot of goals from set shots 20 meters out. Plugger was a great kick for goal dont get me wrong, but to compare a midfielders goal kicking stats to a traditional full forward is pretty silly.

He was the best kick of the footy i have EVER seen.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 pm

E wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:

If you actually watched him play, you would note that A LOT of his behinds came from kicks from outside 50 on the run, under intense pressure. Others might not have even gotten a shot on goal. Plugger kicked a lot of goals from set shots 20 meters out. Plugger was a great kick for goal dont get me wrong, but to compare a midfielders goal kicking stats to a traditional full forward is pretty silly.

He was the best kick of the footy i have EVER seen.

I watched nearly everyone of his games. I don't think your explanation of kicking outside 50m really holds much weight. Your point about Plugger is valid. But Buckley's kicking for goal is still lousy in comparison to other mids.
My memory was he missed numerous targets with his kicks. But it was much more difficult to hit a target over 60m than over 20 t0 50m. So some leeway should be allowed for his long spearing kicks. Still I would love to see some stats on his kicking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10   

Jump to: