Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Collingwood players you have personally seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

only 3 players in my opinion were good enough to win the game off their own boot.

Daics
Greening
Carmen

Only One Player could SAVE a game on his own

Billy Picken - not sure I will ever see a more courageous backman, reader of the play with exceptional ability to intercept mark.
jimmmy01 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:13 pm

never sure if they're the best or just my favs but I always loved watching

Daicos
G. Brown
Swanny
Bucks
Billy Picken

shout out to P Moore, D Banks and D Millaine
duke750 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Greening because he was so balanced and talented, and could do everything.
Daicos because he was so skilful and invented kicking goals from ridiculous positions and angles.
Fabulous Phil, because even though he was a moron, he was so talented.

And...

Peter Moore
Peter McKenna
Tony Shaw
Bucks
Len Thompson
Terry Waters (he was so good, nice to see that Piesnchess mentioned him)
Swannie
Pendles
Billy Picken

And lots more...

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:42 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
only 3 players in my opinion were good enough to win the game off their own boot.

Daics
Greening
Carmen

Billy Picken - not sure I will ever see a more courageous backman, reader of the play with exceptional ability to intercept mark.

I loved watching Billy. I recall first seeing him taking hangers as a forward on the G either in the under 19's or two's, I can't remember which now but he left a big immediate impression. But, he had to be one of the worst kicks of all time. There was one game at Princes Park where he kicked in after a behind but it went straight to Mark Maclure on the mark who popped it straight back for a goal. I can only imagine what Tommy said.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm

If you add John Greening (debut 1968) to any Pies side up til 78 (10 year career is reasonable to assume for such a player) and we would have won at least 3 more flags in that time.

YES

He was THAT good, we went so close so often in that period.

Add a fabulous Phil that someone had somehow got to think properly to that mix and the flag tally could easilly have grown to 4 - 5.

YES

Fab was THAT good too.

We had some mighty teams in that period and those two would have made us a powerhouse to make the modern day Bears/Eagles/Cats/Hawks look like schoolyard teams.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:51 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
If you add John Greening (debut 1968) to any Pies side up til 78 (10 year career is reasonable to assume for such a player) and we would have won at least 3 more flags in that time.

YES

Add a fabulous Phil that someone had somehow got to think properly to that mix and the flag tally could easilly have grown to 4 - 5.

YES

Fab was THAT good too.

We had some mighty teams in that period and those two would have made us a powerhouse to make the modern day Bears/Eagles/Cats/Hawks look like schoolyard teams.

Tru dat. Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

YES

YES

Fab was THAT good too.

Can't disagree with any of that.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

ThePieMind wrote:

Daics
Greening
Carmen

Hmmm, and I'm still spitting chips how the hell Billy Pickens son Liam, is at the doggies, I know it has something to do with rookie lists, but young Picken would be very handy right about now. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Imagine if you will a forward line with McKenna, Greening and Carmen in it. Absolutely unstoppable, the VFL would have had to start tampering with the rules much earlier than Bartletts interchange bullshit to keep us anywhere near under control.

Anyway off topic Billy (cotton) Picken would have to be one of the most effective (and annoying) backman of his era.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 pm

I've been watching footy since 1966 and have seen many outstanding players so my five are in order of out and out raw football ability.

1. John Greening - Could do anything on the field. Had 14 Brownlow votes in only 7 games when butchered by O'Dea. One of football's greatest tragedies. Would have been a legend of the game .
2. Phil Carmen - Not far behind Greening. Could mark, kick, run with the best of them. Sadly was a hot head which cost the Pies flags.
3. Peter Daicos - Supremely skilled and the greatest knack for the impossible I've ever seen. Cyril would have been his bitch.
4. Nathan Buckley - The supreme professional and easily the best kick of a ball I've seen, Darren Jarman included.
5. Len Thompson - Changed the way ruckmen played. When somebody changes a genre, so to speak, they're special.

Apologies to modern day greats Scott Penldebury and Dane Swan, also greats.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Started watching the game around 1972, toss up between Carmen or Millane.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

I only moved to Melbourne in 85, so prior to that my perceptions were from the highlights on TV going back to the mid 70's.

I only had the opportunity to go to regular games from roughly 10 years ago, so again, my perceptions are mostly from TV.

Daics and Moore I loved from when they started. Daics was the magician, Moore the prototype.

Carmen was the second most talented footballer I've ever seen from any team any time.

Coxie29 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Was born with B&W blood in the 70's, watching since the mid 80's. Best players that I've seen & best matches.

Daics - 13 goals vs the Bears at Carrara, poor Johnny Gastev
Bucks - 2002 GF
Pendles - 2010 GF replay

I'm kind of a big deal.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I only moved to Melbourne in 85, so prior to that my perceptions were from the highlights on TV going back to the mid 70's.

I only had the opportunity to go to regular games from roughly 10 years ago, so again, my perceptions are mostly from TV.

Daics and Moore I loved from when they started. Daics was the magician, Moore the prototype.

Carmen was the second most talented footballer I've ever seen from any team any time.

Who's first Stui? Ablett Snr?

Pacino 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:28 pm

All the players mentioned are worthy contenders. One thing that has always irked me is that Peter McKenna, the best exponent of the drop kick for goal that has ever played the game gets so little recognition as one of the greatest full forwards. He regularly kicked over 100 goals and in two successive years kicked 136 and 146 goals as I recall. The year he kicked 146 goals he played state football and missed the opportunity of kicking 150 goals as a result. Yet whenever great full forwards are mentioned John Coleman and Peter Hudson get the acknowledgement. It is as though he never played the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: