Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Roos - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Great news about Frost and it looks like Toovey will be back for this match! Very Happy

Quote:
Magpie Jack Frost cleared of hamstring injury

COLLINGWOOD defender Jack Frost has been cleared of serious hamstring damage, with the club expecting he will be OK to play against North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.

Frost was substituted out of Saturday night's clash with Gold Coast in the third quarter, after sustaining a blow to his right hamstring in a marking contest.

Magpies football manager Neil Balme said it was best case scenario with Frost.

"He had a bit of a hamstring issue. We were hoping that it was only a corked hamstring, which it appears that it is. It's not a strain," Balme told the club's website.

"We are very confident he'll be able to play this week. He’ll be tested but we’re pretty sure he’ll get up."

The Magpies also expect luckless defender Ben Reid to play in the VFL against Coburg this weekend, but he will also have to pass a fitness test.

Alan Toovey, who missed the trip to the Gold Coast with a jarred knee, should also be fit to take on the Kangaroos on Sunday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-25/magpie-jack-frost-cleared-of-hamstring-injury

why does Reid need to pass a fitness test. I thought he was rested the week before the bye?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:35 am

I think he was rested because he was not quite fit and ready to play. It makes sense to have a fitness test to see if he IS ready to play this week.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:43 pm

"I think he was rested because he was not quite fit and ready to play. It makes sense to have a fitness test to see if he IS ready to play this week...".

After 2014's horrendous injury toll, I feel the Club is now being 'ultra-conservative' with injured players in order to have them fit and available and in good physical shape for the business end of the season.
piester 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:39 pm

It was interest at training today with Frost and Seeds walking/running laps together, Oxley just walked laps, Steelo also only walked, and then Pendles, Swanny, Nathan Brown, Blair, and Crispy only ran a lap or two and that was about it for them. Looks like managing players is a key element this year, and ensuring that despite injury niggles they can get up for each weekend.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:35 pm

piester wrote:
It was interest at training today with Frost and Seeds walking/running laps together, Oxley just walked laps, Steelo also only walked, and then Pendles, Swanny, Nathan Brown, Blair, and Crispy only ran a lap or two and that was about it for them. Looks like managing players is a key element this year, and ensuring that despite injury niggles they can get up for each weekend.

If only Tommy Hafey used this method and had not over trained them before the 1977 grand final replay, we MAY have won another flag....... Rolling Eyes

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:02 pm

mattys123′s Match Preview Round 09 – Collingwood vs North Melbourne is up on the site:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/?p=1591

thanks once again Matt.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Bit interested in the comments on Seedsman; my take would be he is getting more attention than previously due to his ANZAC day medal.

Lets someone else get off the chain though, so I'm not sure he needs to be dropped at this stage

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:07 pm

piester wrote:

bucks mentioned as much in his presser today. they have always tried to manage players' loads but i think the spate of injuries last year has forced them to be more conservative than they normally would. even after eight rounds there'd be some bruised and battered players.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Need to get off to a good start against this mob and hopefully fatigue will be a factor in the last quarter after their road trip to Perth last week, So yeah, I hope we don't get jumped like we did against the Cats and the Saints.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:28 pm

E wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Great news about Frost and it looks like Toovey will be back for this match! Very Happy

Quote:
Magpie Jack Frost cleared of hamstring injury

COLLINGWOOD defender Jack Frost has been cleared of serious hamstring damage, with the club expecting he will be OK to play against North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.

Frost was substituted out of Saturday night's clash with Gold Coast in the third quarter, after sustaining a blow to his right hamstring in a marking contest.

Magpies football manager Neil Balme said it was best case scenario with Frost.

"He had a bit of a hamstring issue. We were hoping that it was only a corked hamstring, which it appears that it is. It's not a strain," Balme told the club's website.

"We are very confident he'll be able to play this week. He’ll be tested but we’re pretty sure he’ll get up."

The Magpies also expect luckless defender Ben Reid to play in the VFL against Coburg this weekend, but he will also have to pass a fitness test.

Alan Toovey, who missed the trip to the Gold Coast with a jarred knee, should also be fit to take on the Kangaroos on Sunday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-25/magpie-jack-frost-cleared-of-hamstring-injury

why does Reid need to pass a fitness test. I thought he was rested the week before the bye?

I heard he failed to finish the last training session before the vfl game, not sure if true.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm

this is one of those games that in a development year i would not expect us to win. i want to see us give a good account of ourselves. i think we can win this but won't be too disappointed if we don't. this is our first test against a prelim finalist and whilst they have not been travelling so well we write them off at our peril.

it looks like fas will retain his spot and we get tooves back. broomy could be the omission and be playing vfl.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Meh. Tinkering around the edges with fringe players isn't going to make the difference with this game. We need our core players to fire.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Bit interested in the comments on Seedsman; my take would be he is getting more attention than previously due to his ANZAC day medal. Lets someone else get off the chain though, so I'm not sure he needs to be dropped at this stage

Some players hit the ground running after time out of the game, some players never show their best form right off and need to work back into shape.

Example: Sidebottom: six weeks out, comes back first up without even the benefit of a reserves game, and wasn't a long way off being best on ground.

Second example: Goldsack - he never comes back in good form, for his first three weeks or so after time out with injury, you can call him Mr Fumbles. He has always been the same: he comes in and plays like a spud. Only his pace, effort, tackling, blocking, and general hardness keeps in in the side, and half of Nicks is baying for his blood. "Not AFL standard" they yell - and they are right. But the longer Goldy goes on playing consecutive games, the better he gets. Gradually he stops fumbling. Little by little he starts making great spoils, and then stops spoiling so much as his form and confidence grows to the point where he starts just clunking it instead. Look at him now: he's played six or seven on the trot and he's in career-best shape.

Seedy is more like Goldsack in this regard: he seems to need several weeks uninterrupted before he reaches his best. He was poor the previous week (first up after injury), a bit better this week against the Suns, should go OK v Norf, and be in ripsnorting form after that.

Some players never seem to change: they are either fast starters (Like Sidebottom) or slow burners (like Goldsack), and stay the same for their whole careers. To some extent, pure class seems to be a factor: the like of Pendlebury and Buckley don't miss a beat - well, maybe they get a mere 32 possessions instead of 36 first up - but that's only a rough guide.) Other players are a slow burn when young, but by the time they have played a hundred games or so, can step straight back in and play as though they have never been away. Let's hope that Seedsman turns out to be in this last-mentioned group: he is the fast, athletic type of player who tends to get injured a bit (as compared to, say, a Blair or a Licuria) so it would be a real bonus to see him, by the time he's 25 or 26, able to return and play his best footy immediately.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 am

John Wren wrote:
this is one of those games that in a development year i would not expect us to win. i want to see us give a good account of ourselves. i think we can win this but won't be too disappointed if we don't. this is our first test against a prelim finalist and whilst they have not been travelling so well we write them off at our peril.

it looks like fas will retain his spot and we get tooves back. broomy could be the omission and be playing vfl.

We beat them last year.

Is this season any more of a development year than last?

I know we lost experience and talent during the off season but we replaced them with some as well and the kids now in there 3rd season and beyond should have improved to the point of displaying more consistency.

We'll be the underdogs but North have 2 or 3 decent outs so I think there edge in experience will be somewhat diminished by it.

It should be a tight contest and let's hope we come down on the right side of the ledger this time around.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:28 am

i didn't consider last year to be a development year and certainly not in the same vein as this year. but i also don't see this year as the development year orhers see it as. i had forgotten about last year's game and how well we played in that first half.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/5/coll-v-nmfc

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: