Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tony Abbott and the right to dissent from the new morality

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 pm
Post subject: Tony Abbott and the right to dissent from the new moralityReply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/jensen-freedom-of-religion/7123204

A great piece from the ABC of all places about the current soft censorship surrounding values and morals, highlighted by Tony Abbott speaking to a group in the USA that was made to sound in the media like he was attending a KKK rally then going (I'm a dinosaur) bashing in pickup trucks.

Nicks censored me for using a non PC term in an ironical way. Laughing
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^There's a point there, though I'd express it as follows:

Tony Abbott and the right to dissent from the new reality.

I agree you can believe in whatever clown show takes your fancy, from the author's Anglican religious nonsense, to Muslim nonsense, to union nonsense, to nationalist nonsense, to 'alternative" medical nonsense; go for it.

Just don't expect people to respect others being ignorant, deceitful, inconsistent, intellectually and factually incompetent, unaware of their own knowledge deficits, and such, and hold a role of serious influence in society.

No one would have cared about, say, David Koresh and his whacko ideas if he had spent his days living alone in a cabin in Waco masturbating to evangelical favourites and thinking he was the lamb of god. Respect, man! Go for it! Whatever float yer boat!

Just thinking nonsense is never the problem.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:36 pm

As someone who is deeply concerned about the modern left's lack of regard for freedom of speech, I'm also aware of an increasing tactic on the right of conflating criticism and censorship. If there had been high-profile calls for Abbott to not give that speech or demands that the organisation in question be prosecuted for hate crimes, it's likely that I would have agreed with Jensen. But I've heard nothing of the kind; instead, I've seen perfectly reasonable criticisms of this group and what it stands for, and Abbott's poor judgement in associating with them. That's not censorship, soft or otherwise. If you want freedom of speech, you have to be prepared for that speech to be used against you. Respect is good, but it can't be mandated.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:50 pm

^ while it seems to me that Abbott has been demonised for having conservative views to the point where it feels like bullying (and that may be poetic justice in his case), i can't disagree with your post, David.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Personally I think a back bencher should be spending time working in his electorate, not taking paid gigs including first class air fares to yak to special interest groups overseas.

If he wants to be on the international speaking circuit, cashing in on his status as an ex Prime Minister, great. Resign from politics and go your hardest. You want to stay in politics, do your job.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:22 pm

David wrote:
As someone who is deeply concerned about the modern left's lack of regard for freedom of speech, I'm also aware of an increasing tactic on the right of conflating criticism and censorship. If there had been high-profile calls for Abbott to not give that speech or demands that the organisation in question be prosecuted for hate crimes, it's likely that I would have agreed with Jensen. But I've heard nothing of the kind; instead, I've seen perfectly reasonable criticisms of this group and what it stands for, and Abbott's poor judgement in associating with them. That's not censorship, soft or otherwise. If you want freedom of speech, you have to be prepared for that speech to be used against you. Respect is good, but it can't be mandated.

The left and right wing are both part of the same bird

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:25 pm

If I had freedom of speech you have to be prepared for that speech to be used against you what would I do with it?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

and those birds who rely on just one of them fly in ever diminishing circles.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

and those birds who rely on just one of them fly in ever diminishing circles.

True that

For birds too

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:25 am

stui magpie wrote:
Personally I think a back bencher should be spending time working in his electorate, not taking paid gigs including first class air fares to yak to special interest groups overseas.

If he wants to be on the international speaking circuit, cashing in on his status as an ex Prime Minister, great. Resign from politics and go your hardest. You want to stay in politics, do your job.

I don't mind it, so long as taxpayers aren't being charged for the trip. If people want to hear him speak, that's fine with me. Speeches like this are one of the few times that we get to hear what politicians actually (sort of) think.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:50 am

Also, don't forget these things are subject to irrelevant magnification: Trvial group x opposes trivial speaker y and most humans don't give a flying fek. The level of oppression and censorship is usually akin to braving the flies at a BBQ.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:18 am

think positive wrote:

...are you sure about that?

(personally I think it's just another pithy true(ish)ISM that people trot out to save themselves the bother of thinking about issues!)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:33 am

3.14159 wrote:
think positive wrote:

...are you sure about that?

(personally I think it's just another pithy true(ish)ISM that people trot out to save themselves the bother of thinking about issues!)

Actually I copied it from Facebook

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:39 pm

LOL! Good for you Jo.

My personal position on all this is why bother arguing the toss with a tosser in a twisted Toupee, it's a total waste of time!
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:10 pm

" I could shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters!"

There's no agruing that one!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: