Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:39 pm
Post subject: Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?Reply with quote

Look, I'm all for accepting and respecting people of all persuastions as long as they are not causing any harm or imposing their values or will on other people.
Our club's colours are black and white, not rainbow colors. Why do we have the rainbow colours on our masthead on the Collingwood website? We as a club are not represented by, neither do we represent any LGBTQ minority groups in exclusivity. It makes no sense to have a minority group's logo featured on our website. Instead our philosophy should plainly be that we are accepting of all spectrums of society, and we don't discriminate in any way, be it racial, sexual, or anything else.
At our core we are a football club, but we have a large reach, and the opportunity to extend our influence in society in positive ways. I get that. I just don't think we need to virtual signal on social issues that relate to particular sections of the community, in a disproportionate way.
We are Collingwood. We are open to everyone. We are black and white.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly happy for the club to make that small gesture to demonstrate support for a long bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society.

After our long history of exclusion, its a genuine sign of wanting to change.

Doesn't trigger me at all...
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:07 pm

I agree with WPW it is a small gesture, the rainbow colours I believe means we are accepting of all spectrums of society so Bally12 I can't see any problems with that?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:53 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I'm perfectly happy for the club to make that small gesture to demonstrate support for a long bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society.

After our long history of exclusion, its a genuine sign of wanting to change.

Doesn't trigger me at all...

They are not bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society any more in Australia.
Maybe we should put the Palestine flag and the myriad of other genuine contenders throughout the world up there as well.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:55 am

masoncox wrote:
They are not bullied, oppressed and excluded section of society any more in Australia.

If only it was so - tried raising a queer teenager?
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:09 am

masoncox wrote:

If this was the case why has there been no gay men come out in the AFL competition? You are truly kidding yourself if you believe that!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:31 am

^

I fully believe that there are currently gay men playing in the AFL. Some are completely hidden, some are known within the club and even to some of the journos. The reason none have come out yet isn't, in my opinion, because they fear being persecuted but rather than none want the media circus and all the attention and pressure that would come with it.

It won't be too long before some kid is drafted through the system who is already openly gay and it won't be a thing.

FWIW, I have no problem with the rainbow bit on the club website. It's just a bit of recognition.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:26 am

I thought it was the Nashos ribbon.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:48 pm
Post subject: Re: Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?Reply with quote

I had a look, What do the other colours represent? I have no problem with including a rainbow stripe somewhere, but that just weird. No explanation for what it all represents.

I don’t care who is or isn’t gay, straight, black or white, gees it’s getting tiresome having to prove it all the time.

Bullying and intimidation is shit, end of story, but while everyone keeps accepting personal insults as acceptable jokes, what do you expect? Nobody knows where the line is….because there shouldn’t be one. Just don’t.

“I’m only joking”. Ugh

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:42 pm

We always need reminding that there is a section of our community that struggles with indifference and totally lacks any level of empathy. The rainbow is here to stay and I hope it totally annoys those who struggle with it.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:26 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
masoncox wrote:

If only it was so - tried raising a queer teenager?

AND, why is it so that Gay players have come out openly in the AFLW, a number of them, yet not ONE , sadly, in the AFL ?? Only reason is, as ackermanis said few yrs ago, cos of all the media shit, hype, spin, theyd cop ad the awful remarks from over the fence, by some bigoted nasty fans, thus the AFL is not ready for it yet, or cannot handle it. I have NO issue with the rainbow colours at all, if it can lead to oneday, AFL players being Gay, and open about it, and n ot cop narrow minded crap from fans. Confused Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:55 pm

There are a lot of problems in the world......this ain't one of them.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:39 pm

Unfortunately, for a whole set of reasons, we seem to approach this as a sort of of clash culture.

1000 pages is not enough to extrapolate on this.

I know as a club we should not be about politics, but we are about community.

I just wish to simply say...
Just this afternoon I attended my Nephews wedding, it was a Gay wedding. How wonderful it was to see them happy,
I noted the concentration of 'different' 'people in one place, great it was to see them happy in a safe place mingling with straight' friends and family.

Woke, or Cancel or Acronyms aside... we are left will a real part of life that many of our loved ones need to skirt around.

To open the door with such a small sign which says we are understanding, you are welcome and safe .. I think a small but meaningful gesture to embrace a shunned part of our community.
bucking awesome 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:24 pm

Well said Charlie
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:05 am

You might be a kid, I guess, but grown adults don't take offence at other people being acknowledged for their unique experience. There's room for us all.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: