Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that a court is standing up for a father who is the victim of an ex-partner brain washing his children, not so sure about the method. Shades of the Judgement of Solomon.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:22 am

^Dean?

Essendon turd.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:43 pm

banality:the fact or condition of being banal; unoriginality.
"there is an essential banality to the story he tells"

synonyms: triteness, platitudinousness, vapidity, pedestrianism, conventionality, predictability, staleness, unimaginativeness, lack of originality, lack of inspiration, prosaicness, dullness, ordinariness;

The banality of the music and movies that are popular usually make me think WTF?

Why does the entertainment industry insist on ramming banality down the throats of the general public and why does the general public keep going along with it?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Because of the awful banality of the ordinary pubic mind, Dangles. It has always been present but has been fanned into epidemic scale by the rise of television generally and American television in particular.

Civilisation is doomed. Doomed? Hell, it's already dead, it's just that corpse is still twitching feebly now and then. Think of yourself as a very minor galvanic convulsion in some unimportant part of the body.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:00 pm

By the way (hastily removing my long, white beard and tossing those stone tablets casually to one side as I don my coach's hat instead) your debut for Nick's Posting XXII this week was notable for three things: these being your possession count (zero), your tackle count (zero) and your magnetic presence on the field of play (none). Possibly these were in consequence of your not being at the ground, perhaps because no-one bothered to tell you you were playing. Still, you were no worse than Flashman or Rudeboy, and they get a gurnsey every week, so you'll probably get another chance. We are up against the Woggles, if I remember correctly.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Tannin wrote:
By the way (hastily removing my long, white beard and tossing those stone tablets casually to one side as I don my coach's hat instead) your debut for Nick's Posting XXII this week was notable for three things: these being your possession count (zero), your tackle count (zero) and your magnetic presence on the field of play (none). Possibly these were in consequence of your not being at the ground, perhaps because no-one bothered to tell you you were playing. Still, you were no worse than Flashman or Rudeboy, and they get a gurnsey every week, so you'll probably get another chance. We are up against the Woggles, if I remember correctly.

What was I supposed to do? Where was I supposed to turn up to? Not sure how it works.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Dangles wrote:
What was I supposed to do?

No idea. Sorry.

Dangles wrote:
Not sure how it works.

Me neither.

Look, I just pick the side, OK? Part of my job, as I understand it from many years of observation of previous coaches, is to select one or two Nicksters who have brought themselves to my attention with noteworthy posts of particular quality (that's you, apparently), together with a rabble of has-beens, ne'er-do-wells, and outright basket cases (such as, respectively, Stui Magpie, Yin-YANG, and Wokko).

Why it's done this way, or for that matter why it's done at all, I don't know. You could try asking distinguished former coaches such as David, Cuthbert Collingwood, or John Wren, but they showed no sign of knowing either. Probably the only poster in the history of Nick's Collingwood Bulletin board to properly understand the Posting XXII was Jack Spain, which is why he was banned for life.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:53 pm

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=56762

look at the last option is this poll:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=54775

a brief history:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=45723

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 am

People saying that Tank Adams should get rubbed out because dropping the knee was a "bad look" Have they seen the hairstyles that some of the players are getting around with? Shocked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 am

gees, while some of the stuff on social media makes me cringe, or look away, this is seriously £$%$ed up!!

why would anyone want to live there?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3159319/I-m-terrified-Australian-artist-thrown-jail-Abu-Dhabi-writing-bad-words-social-media-posted-picture-driver-parked-disabled-spot-Facebook.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 am

I've always felt uncomfortable about prosecuting 90-year-old former Nazis, but this is absolute insanity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/15/auschwitz-guard-oskar-groening-jailed-over-mass-murder

The most cynical thing is the sudden relaxation of the standards required for conviction, now that European prosecutors just happen to be out of actual Nazi war criminals. Are they running out of people to punish? And who on earth benefits from this?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:05 am

David wrote:
I've always felt uncomfortable about prosecuting 90-year-old former Nazis, but this is absolute insanity.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/15/auschwitz-guard-oskar-groening-jailed-over-mass-murder

The most cynical thing is the sudden relaxation of the standards required for conviction, now that European prosecutors just happen to be out of actual Nazi war criminals. Are they running out of people to punish? And who on earth benefits from this?

The goon admitted it. Who benefits, those left behind who had relatives processed, err murdered. There is no evidence this person did a thing to help the families to regain money or belongings from Swiss banks or whoever who still hold this stuff.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 am

^ It's an issue where right and wrong are intermixed, and how you assess its morality or purpose is just a matter of choosing which feels more important to you - That there should be no statute of limitations on the worst crimes, or alternatively, that locking up an old, harmless man has no purpose at all.

In making that judgement, I note two things : first, that Oskar Groening has never denied the holocaust or the role he played in it - he has at least borne true witness, as shown when he appeared as himself in the definitive BBC documentary on the matter in 2005. When there are deniers abroad, that is at least some kind of vindication.

Secondly, if one believes his evidence (and that seems to be undisputed), then his real crime was to be posted to Auschwitz by his superiors. Many who did worse things, in other places, received no judgement or punishment. So maybe this verdict says more about us, and our need to distance ourselves from our basest impulses and potential for criminality, than it says about him.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am

Firstly, I'll keep it short, as I remember years ago when a younger David trivialised the whole death camp situation. (Not convinced David, you believe any of them should have been on trial, sorry).

A young keen 21 year old, who unfortunately was born in Germany at just the wrong time. Brought up in the nazi way, a true believer, who goes to war for the mother country, and then finds himself smack in the middle of true hell on earth. He says as soon as he realised, he tried to get out, that alone took guts. Really, it could have been a kill or be killed situation, so easily, yet he tried again, and then succeeded the third time in leaving. Nothing is said about what he did or did not do during the rest of the war or since. At what point do we leave the evil behind us? At what point do we forgive ourselves and move on? At what point does 'the rules are different in wartime" end? Without knowing the answer to what he did since, we have no right to comment.

His comment about not having a right to ask survivors for forgiveness, only God can judge him, and the fact he tried to get out. What is he being punished for? Self preservation? What is a bridge to far?

The age thing, we'll take into account they tried to try him in 78, he was a lot younger then. But still what will this prove? He comes across as the kind of man that would have punished himself ever since. Unless there is a bunch of survivors champing at the bit, and I'm guessing there isn't many left, is there a point to this? Who will it help, more importantly, as I believe jail is a crime prevention method, not just a punishment, who will it save?

Let him die in peace. It's over. It's revenge for the sake of it. Surely, we are better than that now?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:20 am

I'll keep it shorter. I think it's ridiculous based on the detail provided in that article.

Sentencing a 94 year old to 4 years as an accessory. FFS, you could extend the term "accessory" to anyone who wore a german uniform during WWII.

Save the recriminations for those who actually did something, this is just grandstanding.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 125 of 277   

Jump to: