Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DRAFT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCKS 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:55 am
Post subject: DRAFTReply with quote

WHAT TYPE OF PLAYER WILL WE GET WITH OUR FIRST PICK?????

(HAS COLLINGWOOD GOT ANYONE IN MIND?)

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Given our list, we need a ruckman but I think it would be pointless to draft a young ruckman at present. I would just take the best kid available regardless of the position or type of player he is. I would just top up on quality. Hopefully we get better than the 11th best player because some other clubs make poor choices.

JiMc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:39 am

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Guy Richards. Probably because he didnt play at all this season due to a kidney operation. They think he is the goods but will take a year or two to develop though.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:41 am

JiMc, it is the year or two that I have the problem with. That's not because the long term is not important but because we can win a flag in the next 2 years if we out-recruit and out-think everyone else. A couple of players of the right type, expected natural improvement in our young players and we could be there.

There are big wraps on Guy, but I fear we will underachive in the next 2 years because we didn't takes risks with trades.

hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:48 am

I've heard of Barry Brooks who is a ruckman frfom the Tassie Mariners but then he played half the year with the Tassie VFL side. He has senior experience.

Fradam did not write this!
buckers5 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:27 pm

i think we need a key defender to bolster our stocks , jason cloke will step up in 2002 and be ready to hold down a key position , but we need another versatile player like a ben finnin who plays at the preston knights he is a 6 foot 2 left footer who played forward and back for the northern knights would be a good pick up for the pies stared in the couple of games i watched and was a a all australian he is still 17

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:35 pm

From my information, Guy Richards is extremely highly rated by the Coaching-personnel, but has been told he'll have to reach a certain weight before he's played - and I don't think it's physically possible he do so until 2003.

Before the Draft, Guy Richards was rated a Top 5 pick. The AFL Webshite's {sic} Phantom Draft even had him going at Number 4. When he didn't go until the 30's, I recall Tim Watson espousing on Optus's Footy Feedback that due to his weight, Guy Richards was possibly perceived as a 2-3 year project - at the least - and that probably dissauded most Clubs.

Don't count out McKee entirely - he showed that when he pulls his finger out, he's a worthy contributor.

On the Rookie-List we also had ex-Hawthorn Ruck Steven Rode, who's about 201 cm. I've heard he's okay and he was only pushed out of Hawthorn due to the Salary-Cap, so Collingwood may look at drafting him with a later pick.

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 5:17 pm

I think anyone we get at 11 will be a 2 - 3 year project

I dont' know why everyone counts out FRASER!! he will rule I tell you RULE! and ROCCA can hold down CHF, we don't need both of them! Richards will get his chance releiveg Fraser in 2 years, McKee will ruck serviceable with Fraser until Fraser perfects the art of ruckwork (in one maybe two years).

I think in two years we ewill have quality all over the ground, maybe a full back for when Presti retires in 3 or 4 years, we can always use another midfield type player, but I agree with MarkT, get the best cause we have strength and youth everywhere, pretty much. go for a young midfielder if he's the best, or a young backman (tall). I wouldn't be picking up a FF or HFF though!!

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:21 am

Fraser will be a star - no doubt. I am just not convinced it will be as a ruckman. As I said in another post - he could be anything as a forward or a follower. As a tap ruckman he has a LONG way to go. His talent could get him there but where do you want to use such a talent? I would prefer he doesn't get smashed in the ruck - especially at his current weight.

As for McKee - again he could be a follower or CHB but he is not a ruckmans A/hole and never will be. Competitive is all he can ever be in the ruck and that will be on a good day.

Richards is a way off yet but looks promising. I see no point drafting a young ruckman at this stage. I actually don't think we have any area's to address in this draft. I think we have everything covered "long term" and all we have to do is take the best talent we can get our hands on.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:28 pm

Of course Moorecroft is now available...........

-Craig

P.S. JOKE!

FAITH

buckers5 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:52 pm

steven rode doesnt even get a game for williamstown played the whole year in willy twos

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:51 am

Fraser IS a ruckman!! How old is Porter? Hopw old is Everit? Were they rucking full time at age 19? The answer NO! How long do ruckman last - generally a long long time (Steins, Madden, etc), cause they don't play seniors til they're 23/24, when they have perfected their art - the hardest thing to learn in footy is rucking (just ask any ruckman lol).

Fraser is exceptional tallent, next year you wont miss anything having him in ruck, and the year after he will beat most opponents, yes as a tap ruckman. He is only young - give him a chance to put on some weight, learn how to ruck at the elite level, he will be all australian ruckman I garantee it, maybe not next year but soon.

And around the grounds, he is worth missing all the centre hit outs (especially considering we have a great midfield) because of the incredible ability he has of taking the ball HIMSELF and doing something with it. How manytimes his he take the ball out of the ruck and kick a goal, handball to OBree, Licca, etc. That's what other ruckmen don't have, that's what the great ruckmen do have. And his all round skills are incredible - you get the picture.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Magpie.girl 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 6:00 am

Rumour is that French and Steinberner, 2 ruckman from Port are about to get the flick. Barnaby french might be worth a look. I think that with picks 11 & 27, we will draft the best possible players available, regardless of position.

The thing to consider is the de-listings before Oct31. We have already de-listed 2, didn't trade anyone, and I heard Balme say we would probably use 4 picks in the draft. With the list being cut to 35 this year, that will mean possibly 5 will have to go.
That's the way I understand it.

Pies R Us

JiMc 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:11 am

Stone and Baynes got the flick a few weeks ago.

John McKerchar 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:12 pm

It doesn't matter what perceived needs may be. The most important thing when drafting youngsters is to aquire the best player available - regardless of positon. You cannot draft for position. You need a ruckman? The best U'18 ruckman may be the 50th best player overall.

Trade for deficiencies - Draft for the future.

However to trade for present deficiencies means sometimes to trade away your future. It is a fine balance. Softly softly is sometimes best. Especially with a young team on the improve.

This years' strategy of no trade can only be judged in hindsight although it does give Judkins & Co. a blank canvass to produce a classic black & white.

I think supporters should be conscious of the developing culture within the playing list. Some of these guys have been thrown together at The Club's lowest point. The next draft intake could be exposed to "something special" - a team going somewhere - rather than a bunch of journeymen, Richmond reserve ruckmen, best centre half forwards in their draft year & Scott Patterson.

Hair by Rene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: