Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Your best collingwood team ever

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

MARK

Renee kink was a good player and in my opinion underachieved
i remember one day at princess park knights of hawthorn was dragged as renee gave him a hiding, no mean task as peter knights was an ok player...LOL renee kink was the type of player who would simply be absolute brilliant one week and go missing the next 3.

Was it renee kink who when only 15 years old played his first game in a final against richmond at waverly park?

Can some one confirm or deny that for me please because i think im right.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:36 am

ROHAN

I gotta admit you have trumped me mate i will go and look up hugh Thomas and get back to you.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 12 October 2001).]

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:46 am

Yes Joffa. I think he was 16, it was definately a final - I think a semi - and he replaced Peter McKenna who was dropped after an ordinary game the previous week due to the flu.

He would go missing the next 3 weeks after starring because he got bored (according to him) with how easy it all was.

I recall that game against Peter Knights. He was well known to Collingwood supporters but became a household name after that because Lou Richards dubbed him the Incredible Hulk durring that game and carried the nickname on. He was one of the only real muscled players at that time.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 12 October 2001).]
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:20 pm

Just a note on Tommy Hafey and the movie "The Club", but Tom Hafey actually wrote all the coaching-speeches delivered by Jack Thompson.

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:16 am

I counted again and again, and only came up with 21 players Joffa. You have four on the bench, but only two followers!

Wots up?

Greg J
Legga 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:38 am

It's always hard to pick a side that is the BEST ever, but no-one seems to have mentioned Peter Moore.
Creditted with being the most mobile ruckman around, I have heard it said that he carried a Hamstring injury into the '77 finals series, and that was the difference. Won 2 brownlows, and was an out and out champion for our club.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:35 am

Very true legga

But his injury going into the 1979 or 1980 grand final probably cost us a premiership in 1980 it would not have made much difference but if it was the case in 1979 it would of cost us a flag.

Peter moore is a collingwood great but his fallout with tommy hafey which resulted him being traded to melb did not win him many friends at the time.

Infact at the time it didnt go down too well and i remember the return match against melb the following year with a banner hanging from the stands...NO MOORE FILTH.

But time heals many wounds and it was good to see peter moore back at the club during the year.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:52 am

Peter Moore was a gun and was the key to Collingwood in his time. The saying used to go "no Moore, ni Collingwood". I only saw the end of Len Thompson's career but thoses older than me generally regard Thompson as better than Moore I think but I'd like to see Moore on the bench in an all timer side. Can't have 'em all though.

It was 1981 that Peter Moore went into the GF with a bad hamstring strain. Carlton played Glascott on him and he played the game of his life running off a lame Peter Moore. He was so badly hampered that it would seem ludicrous to have played him. He couldn't walk let alone run and he just got worse all day. I used to love Tommy Hafey, but in hindsight he cost us 2 Premierships. In 1981 we led by a few goals going into time on in the 3rd and Glascott's run from then on killed us. Hafey left Moore on (he often went way too long before making a change) when it was obvious he was hopelessly lame. In 1977 Hafey flogged the players on the track after the draw and left them flat for the replay.

The best and worse of Hafey - the players loved him and he got the best they could give but his coaching was uninspired and he eventually wore off. He has been successful at every club he has coached at early on and then been sacked eventually.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:36 am

Mark

If my memory serves me correct it was peter moore who told tommy hafey he would be fit to play i think the story goes that tommy left it up to peter moore to decide, the fact is peter moore should not of played.

The fact is moore was proppy all day and i believe hafey was infuriated any way with that grand final loss and the events that followed it pronbably paved our path to the 1990 premiership.Collingwood went through many changes coaches presidents and so on but it all started to come good in the mid eighties ultimately leading to a premiership in 1990 which is a good reminder to all that we have to be patient.

Im confident in a few years time we can say that our club made changes in the late 90's which paved our way to a premiership.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:36 am

Mark

If my memory serves me correct it was peter moore who told tommy hafey he would be fit to play i think the story goes that tommy left it up to peter moore to decide, the fact is peter moore should not of played.

The fact is moore was proppy all day and i believe hafey was infuriated any way with that grand final loss and the events that followed it pronbably paved our path to the 1990 premiership.Collingwood went through many changes coaches presidents and so on but it all started to come good in the mid eighties ultimately leading to a premiership in 1990 which is a good reminder to all that we have to be patient.

Im confident in a few years time we can say that our club made changes in the late 90's which paved our way to a premiership.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:43 am

Off the top off my head, based on recent era's,

B D Tuddenham G Pert M Gayfer
HB W Richardson B Picken S Magro
C G Brown N Buckley D Millane
HF P Carman P Moore T Dunne
FF P Daicos P McKenna P Moore
F L Thompson M McGuane B Price
IC T Shaw R Shaw D Monkhurst J Greening

Coach T Hafey

The above would win us a few flags.

Greg J
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:49 am

Gary Pert????????????????????????????????/

come on greg please what are you doing!!!!

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:35 pm

Still waiting on your knowlegde on Hugh Thomas Jeff. Has the resident Collingwood historian been bluffed?

In Skob We Trust

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:11 pm

Call me joffa rohan if u call me jeff again i will puke.

Please enlighten me on hugh thomas i have been through all my books and cant seem to find anything.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:25 pm

I have heard of Hughie Thomas, was reserves coach for eons, 20+ years, (even back when I think they were called Collingwood districts?) and I think he cracked a paragraph or two in the Kill for Collingwood book. First heard of him in Lou Richards bio that he wrote after finishing up with the pies.(before Lou became the footballer that laughed etc etc). Can't remmeber the name of the book, its boxed away at my dads place in Oz, but that was a pretty good read!

Dont have much of my Collingwood stuff here, so its a little difficult to 'recall' anything else.

Regarding the Peter Moore 81 Grand Final, the turning point came late in the third qtr when we ran out of VB and had to drink Courage. There was a beer stike on at the time if my memory serves me correct. Since then I have vowed never to run out of beer at a GF (or Chardonnay, seeing I'm one of that lot now!!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: