Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Your best collingwood team ever

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:06 pm
Post subject: Your best collingwood team everReply with quote

The 1990 team excluded, off to the record books we go...

MY TEAM

M Gayfer Jack Regan Bill Proudfoot

S Coventry W picken Harry Sullivan

Ron Reeves N Buckley Darren Millane

Neil Mann Phil Carman Peter Daicos

Robert Rose G coventry Phonse Kyne

Thompson Greening

Bench T shaw D Tuddenham B price R wearmouth

Coach J Mchale assistant L Mathews

Well thats my team it looks pretty good doesnt it.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Joffa, but I'd have Tom Hafey as an Assistant Coach before Leigh Matthews.

And what about Rowdy?

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:59 pm

Obviously I'd like Rowdy on, but I may be biased.. just maybe...

Maybe Phonse should get CHF and Carmen HF and Daics pocket? agree with the players though. Tuddy on the bench is pretty stiff too!

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:32 pm

Yes i did overlook tommy hafey he just didnt come to mind when selecting the coaches of this great side.

Apologies for leaving gavin brown out its so hard to fit them all in.

I put daicos on the half foward line simply to give him room not that he needs it, but have a look at the legends on the goal line waiting for a daicos chip pass. The prospect would mouth watering.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:35 pm

I will leave phil carman at centre half foward.

Phonse kyne has been given permission to roam and open up the foward line.

ed healey 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:36 pm

backs Syd(rohans relly)Jack Regan Harold Ramsey
HB.Nathan Buckley,Albert Collier,Gavin Brown
c.John Greening Peter Daicos Bob Rose
HF.Des Tuddenham Ron Todd Des Fothergill
F.Tony Shaw, Gordon(rohans relly),Wayne Richardson
Ruck Len Thompson phonse kyne harry collier
coach Jock mchale
i/c peter mckenna,thorold merret,neil mann,darren millane

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:26 am

Surely Hafey did enough on The Club the other week to get the assistant coach gig! Did you see how expertly he stood in the backgroung and held the balls?

What about "Leeter" Collier at CHB and Bob Rose in the centre. Old timers still regard Rose as our best player. Interesting to note in this era of $ that he left for money - to the bush. Wonder whether Bucks will be regarded as his equal by the end of his career. If he captains a couple of premierships he must be a show.

It's a great side but I'm sure we could change all 21 possitions and still come up a great side. Pity we couldn't get a virtual game happening and run a book.

Malklas 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:32 am

I'd have Morwood before Gayfer

Go Pie Pride....join in and everyones a winner.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:06 am

When doing this side i wanted to blend it as much with old time collngwood players so to speak and modern day players.

When picking the backline Mick gayfer first came to mind i believe mick gayfer would of walked into any collingwood team of any era as he was a tough player and very disciplined.

Gayfer could stop the best in the business and wasnt scared to back himself whilst running of the back line.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:16 am

The decision to play bucks in the centre and have bobby rose in the foward line was a hard one.

I still reckon a fit bucks in the centre of any collingwood team
is worth his weight in gold, bucks can read the ball like no other, next time at the footy watch buckley a kick and a half behind play and you will discover what a magnificent player he really is.

Im happy to have bob rose on the foward line maybe during games we could alternate rose with buckley in the centre.

Rose was a goal sneak and a very tough player and very well balanced i guess in the same sort of mould as nathan buckley.

Its interesting to note bobby rose won 4 copeland trophies whilst corect me if im wrong bucks has won 5.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:32 am

I feel like im talking to myself here but the coach thing is bugging me.

Tom hafey was a great collingwood coach and we all love tommy and feel great anguish that out of all people hafey didnt win a premiership with collingwood.

Bobby rose was a great coach as well and it saddens me greatly that bobby rose didnt bring a premiership to collingwood it will go down as the biggest injustice the game has ever seen.

Leigh mathews did what the above two coaches couldnt do and i say that respectfully as bobby rose was just unlucky.
Hope that clears that one up.

[This message has been edited by magpie joffa (edited 12 October 2001).]

ed healey 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:49 am

Joffa Im afraid Bob Rose will go down in history as a very poor coach in Grand Finals,which is the ultimate test.
If Tom Hafey had the teams Bob did we would have won 6 flags.
As for Phil Carman,I couldnt put him in because he didnt give us enough,and after costing us a flag by being reported then pissed off to another club and let them down too.
My side has quite a few of yours in it,but as a best ever team you must have given long and loyal service,not just a few good years.
An interesting exercise all the same.
Dont know why others havent bothered putting one in.
Maybe they are all footied out.
Rohan should be upset that I only put 2 coventrys in!!!

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:13 am

Joffa, don't get me wrong, I am a big Buckley fan, but Rose's Coplends were significantly harder to win because he played in a much better team. All you can do win 'em when you play though.

BTW, I wouldn't have Gafer in any team crossing era's - we would have had many better defenders than him.

Ed, if Carman played in the moders era tyhings may have been different. He was "early Buckley-like" in his approach in that he was one of the first professional footballers. He had completed training by the time the rest turned up. Better handling might have seen him fit in better. Unfortunately he was disliked from the start by the players because of money issues and then didn't help the cause with his attitude. Unfortunatly footy never saw his best.

Renee Kink was an awsome talent but lacked the drive to anything like what he could have been. If he played today with current player management and individual motivators/mentors he would likey have been one of the greats. Having heard him say he would get bored at half time in matches because it came too easy to him is enough to make any Collingwood supporter weep.

There are hundreds of players like these in any club but I suspect we have had more than our fair share.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 12 October 2001).]
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:51 am

If anyone knows their history the coach of the reserves in Hugh Thomas is our second best coach. He was Jock's assistant and a lot of players credit him with their success.

This is not a dig at Jock as he is the best AFL/VFL coach ever.

In Skob We Trust

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:27 am

ED

I like your team its brilliant.

Bob rose was an ok coach coach 1964 1971 and again 1985 1986.

Bob rose won respect for being the great sportsman he is, when losing those grand finals he was always gracious in defeat, close defeats and just plain bad luck stopped bob rose from holding the premiership cup. 1964 1966 and 1970 were winnable premierships the heartbreak of the 1970 grand final defeat will live with us forever to blame bob rose for these close grand final losses is unfair.

phil carman was sensational and one of the best collingwood players i have ever seen, playing only 15 games to win the copeland trophy and nearly winning the brownlow medal finishing 3 votes behing footscrays gary dempsey what made this even more fascinating was he missed a lot of games through injury.

for the people who didnt see phil carman play just picture this phil carman was more spectacular in the air than gary ablett
and one day at moorabbin kicked 15 goals whilst at the other end st kildas george young kicked 11 goals.

I have no qualms selecting fabulous phil carman in my best ever collingwood team.

And yes he probably did cost us the flag in 1977 by getting rubbed out for hitting tuck of hawthorn if memory serves me correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: