Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie McGuire promises you the world and gives you an Atlas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:49 pm
Post subject: Eddie McGuire promises you the world and gives you an AtlasReply with quote

I don't Know how to start this, But I will give it my best shot.

This morning I woke up with hope, after last nights conversation with people in the know I felt much better about the day ahead.

I was told were "back in the hunt for Spider" its just a matter of doing a deal with the saints and his ours! I became excited and apprehensive at the same time. We are "also looking good for Misiti" Great I said! lets bring tomorrow on.

I tuned to 3aw on the hour every hour from 9.00am to 3.00pm.

I was getting worried I didn't hear anything regarding the pies.

I heard the croad deal went through, I heard Murphy was back at the blues, I heard porter/ Mckernan deal but no Collingwood.

I rang the people in the know at 3.30 pm.

"st-kilda wanted our first two draft picks and presti for spider"
they said.

What about Misiti?
"fell over at the last minute" they said.
My heart sank!! did we do any deals? I said.

NO NOT AT ALL, ZERO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Your kidding I said, not even scotland to Essendon.
Not even Marcus Picken? I was struggling at this stage with all due respect to Marcus.

My next thought, is our list that good?
I went through the names, lane, Mckee, scotland, shaw, Ukovic?

I was fainting at this stage. Am I dreaming all this
I will wake up and find out that we picked up all these gun recruits!! I do hope I wake up soon!!!!!

It's not a nice dream Mr McGuire.

Isn't it election time soon!!!!!!!
Maybe my last vote before I throw my social club membership in the bin will carry more weight than any of the players acquired through Trading!!!!

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Balme and Judkins will not be very popular this week at Pie-Land.

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
the prez 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 4:53 pm

Really some of you guys need to take a good hard look at yourselves.You have only yoursleves to blame.You know most of whats said during trade week is bullshit,yet you chose to believe it as gospel and it's just a matter of sorting out the details,then when it doesn't go through you get on your high horse abusing the club and threatening to TEAR UP YOUR MEMBERSHIP!If you're willing to tear up your membership over not getting Spider,then I honestly question your loyalty to the CLUB.We all stood by the club during the hard times and anyone who jumps ship now that the club is on the rise is a fool.
Perhaps some are looking a little foolish now after promising that deals were done and then nothing eventuated.Treat trade week as it is-merely a chance to top up.2002 is still on track as far as I'm concerned.

GO WOODS

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:16 pm

Mate, if Eddie and co didnt come in, we would have NO CLUB.
Got it, NO CLUB.

We would be BANKRUPT.

Got it, BANKRUPT.

We would be R O O T E D!!!!

If I recall Eddies general blurb upon election, which I may be misquoting and point this out if it is so, he said we would be in the MARKET for top players, NOT SELL THE FARM FOR THEM.

Big deal, we missed a couple of over priced duds. Keep the big picture in mind. We are still a few years away yet, building it up with QUALITY young blokes. Plan on course I reckon, no need to drop the pilot.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:18 pm

Damn you LD...you took the words right outta my keyboard!

-Craig

FAITH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 5:45 pm

Before everyone gets in a tizz about what I wrote, just take a minute to reflect.

My post was a reflection of emotions that people go through when we have high expectations.

McGuire and co have done and are doing a wonderfull job in putting this club in a position were we can go forward.

Obviously trading didnt go our way this year.

Honestly ask yourselfs how you felt at the stage when you heard we got no one.

Its that initial emotion that I was quoting. Nothing less nothing more.

I will wake up tomorrow with new hope Like I did this morning.

In the end we did the correct thing about spider I wouldnt have given them the deal.

I hope everyone digs deep and become members next year.

I don't regret writing my post, so don't condemn me for my high expectations and initial feelings.

When the dust settles we seem to get into some normality.

Until next year
Have a lovely xmas and new year.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:11 pm

Oh Member do me a favour, please throw your social club medallion and seasons ticket in the bin. Please do not renew your membership because with the attitude you have

WE DO NOT WANT YOU AS A MEMBER!!!!

As the prez said - you would be a fool to jump off after all the hard times when we are emerging as a serious force in this competition.

None of those blokes are "gun recruits" as you put it, some of them good, some ok and the only value Picken would have at Collingwood is his name!!

Don't kid yourself that the world is going to end because we didnt get these guys. There are far more players that have FAILED at their second club than have suceeded. I would rather take my chances with young enthusiastic kids who havent yet had time to develop over infalated ego's. The last thing Croad wanted was to leave Hawthorn, a team he supported as a youngster. Do you think his heart will be in it at the Dockers? I doubt it very much.

Stick with it gang - we are the best supporters in the world supporting the best club in the world that will enjoy more success than you could ever imagine in the future

Cheers

Mark Dillon
Member # 1738

[This message has been edited by dillo_09 (edited 10 October 2001).]
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:42 pm

An Atlas can be useful when you need to know where you're going.

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The AFL Ranting Board.
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:17 pm

Well i have no problem waking up every morning feeling ok we are supporting the greatest list of youngsters in the competition who were unlucky not to make this years finals.

We are supporting a club with no financial troubles.

We are supporting a club with the best coach and administration.

We are supporting a club that believes in its players.

We are supporting a club who refuses to be raped by other clubs.

We are supporting a club which beleves in its self.

Oh how things are much better than 4 years ago.

What little memories some of us have.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:40 am

My first thoughts were that the club and their staff know what they are doing better than I, and if they decided not to trade, that is their decision and they will live and die by those decision's.

As it turns out in the cold light of day today, we tried to get Misiti, and nearly had it wrapped up, but the AFL wouldnt extend the 2pm deadline. Certainly not the fault of the recruiting staff. Essendon want to keep him so they played hardball and dragged it out passed the deadline(it seems). Now Esendon will ask their players to take a pay cut to squeeze in an injury prone Misiti. Personally I don't want him, but I have no control over it so I accept the decision's made.

Whats the point of getting upset by things you have no control over? Why have 'nightmares' and worry yourself sick over things that others decide? I bet you also worry and complain about the weather too Member. Why? There isnt a damn thing you can do about it and all the anguish in the world isnt going to change it. Save yourself the heartache and ulcers and just accept the decisions of those in power.

Great post Joffa, I am with you on those points you made.

Also member, who are you? At least I have the courage of my convictions to put my real name and membership number on post's where I am making a strong point or argue against a post on this BB. I also put it at the bottom whenever I criticise the club and I don't hide behind my PC's!

Mark Dillon
Member # 1738

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:51 am

There seems to a confusion of 2 issues here.

Eddies role and that of the player managamentt/recruitment team. I find it very hard to be critical of Eddie or the board in the main. I don't agree with everything but on the whole they do a great job. We are long way from that cold dark place we were in a few years back.

As far as recruitment goes, Eddie can entice players or convince them of the benefits of being at Collingwood. He cannot, however, pick the players to be recruited or dropped. He can have an opinion and exp[ress it to the relevant people, but I do not OUR President, whoever it may be, to select the team list.

As for the recruiters, well plenty has been said about them over time and this week will no doubt continue any simmerring controversy. I personally cannot belive they didn't do a deal to get a ruckman. The Spider deal sounds expensive so I can forgive it's non occurrance. BUT if we miss the finals and do not have a significantly better ruck result this year I will find it hard not to say it is entirely the fault of the recruiting team. If they have ultimately made the right choice and our rucks improve (dramatically) I will sing their praisers. Not they care what I think, but that's how I see it at the moment.

Also on recruiting, I can't believe that, as in prior years, we could not offload players to other clubs for at least draft choices. We have at least 10 or so players we could have traded for draft choices if we could have found a willing club. I can't believe there were 15 unwilling clubs.

Only time will tell if the right decisions were made. Many of us have doubts right now. At the end of next season it will all be clear. Either the recruiting team have failed and they must go or they have succedded and deserve a payrise. They made the calls they are paid to make and now the results will be the determinant of the persformance.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:54 am

Well said Dave, Mark & Joffa.

This is the most excited I've been about the future of the CFC in a long time.

In fact how many days til round one 2002 starts??????????????

GO PIES!

Marg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:13 am

Thanks Mark Dillon for your great advice.

First of all I hope you read the post before your kindly gave me some advice.
I am a veteran of 6 grand final losses and one grand final win.

I do have a thick skin and I do take peoples advice seriously.

I am no different to any other pies supporter that wants the best for c'wood.
Sure we have diferent opinions on things thats what makes the world go forward.

You are entilted your opinion like everyone else is on this board.

I would like to find out what your initial thought and emotion was when you found out we did no trades, before everything settled.

I will take your advice on board.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:30 am

Fair enough Mark Dillon,

I did say I take your advice on board and I accept that.

But now your giving to me in a way were it has become rather personal.

I don't suffer nightmares and I certainly don't suffer any ulcers. I also don't complain about the weather.
I find your attack on my character a touch disrespectfull.

My critism was not of the highest order and in fact it wasn't even critism.
They were thoughts at the time. If I had it over again I wouldn't of written the post.

I realise the band of great c'wood supporters like yourself, joffa and so on and I for one admire the passion of you all.

But don't put me in the same category of some other people on this site that go hell for leather on critism.

thanks

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:30 am

In blaming our recruiters for not securing Everitt or any other player, people forget that recruting usually involves at least three parties. Collingwood, T'other club and the player/s involed. Not being privvy to what went on beind closed doors, we can't know what was offered by The Club, how responsive T'other club was and what the feelings of the player/s involved were.
Simply blaming our recruiters is narrow sighted.
I would rather not trade anyone and not get screwed then trade just for the sake of it. I believe that MM and Noel did what was best the The Club.

Premiers - 020310171927282930353653589003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: