Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A night at the footy - Part Two

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:23 am
Post subject: A night at the footy - Part TwoReply with quote

Starts at: A night at the footy - Part One

I didn't want to leave the Cricketers. You know the feeling: you settle in at the pub with a group of people that you like - you can stay there all night. Besides, I was comfortable and feeling pretty nervous about the next step - and we hadn't heard one of Joffa's pre-match inspirational speeches yet.

Joffa was a bit slow getting started and we had to leave, we had to be at the ground at 5:30. The last AFL match Nick saw was as an 11 year old at VP in 1996 for that historic final bout against Fitzroy and I hadn't been since the 70s and here we were heading off to the G for the President's dinner.

The President's dinner is held in the Jack Ryder Room. It is a typical MCG function room, long and narrow with a glass wall facing the ground. It was much bigger than I had imagined, stretching almost out of site and seating 400 people - and it was full, as you would expect for Collingwood / Essendon. We found our table, great position near the centre of the room and the podium, sat down, had drinks placed in front of us by ever present waiters and then soaked in the surroundings. Eddie was there of course, Lou Richards was at an adjacent table, an old favourite of mine Terry Waters was there and Kevin Rose seemed to be everywhere. Others I recognised were Matthew Lloyd making the most of his holiday, Graeme McMahon and Wayne Jackson. Illustrious company for a couple of guys from the back blocks of Tassie.

Food was served and speeches were made and then Ross Wilson sang some Daddy Cool classics. I had scored one of those magical glasses that can never be emptied - every time I drank from it a hand would appear from behind me and fill it. This is the life, I could get used to this very easily.

Between speeches Eddie had come wandering down the room saying "Where's Nick?" People turned and looked to see where and who Nick was. Nick was identified and Eddie came over and welcomed us both.

He stood behind us and with one hand on each of our shoulders said, "When Ross Wilson is singing his last song I'm going to stand up and nod and you come and stand beside me" and then he went back to his table. I was aware of people around us looking and wondering who the hell we were.

Ross Wilson sang, Eddie stood and nodded, we got up and stood beside him and then began an adventure I'll never forget. Eddie led the way and we followed. Through the room out the door and down through the crowds and closed and guarded gates to the race onto the ground. We were moving so quickly that only about 1 person in a hundred realised that it was Eddie McGuire pushing through. Eddie described it as a panzer movement and that's just what it was like.

Down the race and onto the ground, the crowd seeing Eddie, erupted and it suddenly dawned on me that here we were on the MCG with Eddie McGuire in front of 70,000 screaming fans. The unreality of it was staggering. I asked Eddie where the Cheer Squad was and he pointed them out, they were just beside the race we'd come down and were obviously responsible for a large part of the noise we were hearing.

Around the ground, up the players' race and into the rooms and we were with the team. Meanwhile the fireworks had begun out on the ground and Eddie said to us, "You don't have to stay in here, you can go back out into the race and watch the fireworks if you like.", but for some reason neither Nick nor I were much interested in fireworks. There weren't many hangers-on like us - about half a dozen extras in there I reckon. The team were psyching up for the game and seemed completely unaware of people around them. They did warm-ups and ball-handling for about 10 minutes and then Mick took them into a closed room for 5 minutes before they ran out onto the ground.

Everybody left, the room was empty, except for us. My phone beeped, a text message from Joffa: "Appear behind Eddie with a cigarette! Smile". I knew what it meant, but I'm not going to tell you lot. Then Eddie appeared and took us back down the race that the players had just used and out into that unbelievable atmosphere, back around the ground and into the stand. He made sure we knew where to go to find the Cheer Squad and left us. That was the last we saw of him for the night.

We are both still totally over-awed and humbled by the whole experience. That Eddie, the President of the Collingwood Football Club, would take the time to personally provide us with that experience is beyond dreams and is a mark of the man.

I've just read what I've written and have realised that I can't do it justice, I just don't have the words to describe what he did for us.

Next, footy with the Cheer Squad and we meet more of you.

A night at the footy - Part Three

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 23 August 2001).]
pants42 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A great read Mike i enjoyed it immensly, maybe a annual event me thinks, hears hopeing cheers.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 8:47 am

Great reading all about your adventures Mike - and fantastic that you and Nick had such a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

GO PIES!

Marg

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 9:13 am

Sounds like you had a great night Mike.

JDF
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 10:46 am

Another endorsement for you Mike: you write very engagingly. Will your match report be next?

Broadie
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:05 pm

great stuff mike! can't wait for the next instalment.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:03 pm

Hi Mike and Nick.....
It was sooooooo good to finally meet you both.....the two legendary figures from the greatest BB in Oz.... Im so glad that you had a great time amongst the Collingwood family a treat that you both so greatly deserve...

Mike this is a great read and I too look forward to part 3...there will be a part 3 wont it?

Hope to see you both back sometime in the future.... Till then keep up the great work you do.......

The X Files will leave me with a smile on my face from now on..LOL

BE LOUD......BE PROUD

[This message has been edited by cobood (edited 20 August 2001).]
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:15 pm

Thank you, but I'm really being self-indulgent, it's an experience that I have to share.

Thanks Pants (an annual event? We could cope with that), Marg , Joel, Broadie (match report? I can remember games that I saw when I was 17 better than I can remember Saturday's match - so much happening in such a short period of time), foxy (we never really got to meet you properly and you were probably the oldest regular we met), cobood (You bet there'll be a number 3. Writing for me is a torture, very slow and painful, but this is something that I must share and writing Saturday down will be another way for me to remember it - by the way, I loved your friendly smiling face)

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 20 August 2001).]
PieGirl39 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:53 pm

Hi "Cancer Man" (just kidding Mike!)

Great to meet you and Nick at long last. Too bad you couldn't stay longer.

What an awesome experience you must have had! Keep on writing!!

biodave 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:53 am

Mike, tell us what you meant with the cigarettes?

This was a great read Mike. I think we're all pleased that Nick and yourself had such a memorable night.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:17 am

Still eagerly awaiting Part 3, Mike.

**floreat pica**

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:46 am

Yep i'll 2nd that Alf!
Bring on part 3 Mike!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:49 pm

Come on, Mike, where's the eagerly-awaited Part III?

It's almost like some sort of Government conspiracy has swallowed it up, isn't it?

Nothing vanishes without a trace...

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The Unofficial AFL Ranting Board.
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:03 pm

Got a bit of a block at the moment. Took time out at work today to write part 3 and ended up writing a story about tree farming! Don't ask me - I wouldn't have a clue. Anyway I'll have a go at getting it going again... it's coming.

Slight correction to part two. On checking my phone again I see the message came from Sly's phone not Joffa's. I unconditionally retract those nasty things I thought about you Joffa and have now freshly thought them about Sly instead.

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:32 pm

I sent the message - geez, I drank a lot more than I thought because my recollection of later in the night is dim (try non-existent), although I guess that's not such a bad thing considering how the match went.

Tree-farming? Anything about bees and clones in there?

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.
The Collingwood Rant.
The Unofficial AFL Ranting Board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: