Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

To Eddie

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NT - Pie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 6:26 pm
Post subject: To EddieReply with quote

What Sam Newman has done to Schwarz will cause irrepairable damage to the footy show. What an absolute disgrace. I for one will watch one more show to see if an apology is forthcoming. Sorry Eddie but more needed to be done!!!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a copy of what I posted on BigFooty earlier tonight. It was in reply to a thread in which people were debating whether or not the incident was real or a set-up. There were also some people who suggested that Eddie was in some way accountable for what happened. One person even brought up the so-called "conflict of interest" theory, suggesting either that the Collingwood president had condoned the assault on a Melbourne player or that he would have acted differently if it had been a Collingwood player who had been assaulted.

This is what I wrote.

That incident was real.
There is no doubt about it.

Newman is a showbiz professional, but not really an actor. Schwartz is definitely not an actor. He is a footballer with limited media experience. That incident was much too realistic to have been an act.

The reason Newman had the pie was because he planned to put it in Schwartz's face. But Schwartz's didn't know about it in advance. His reaction was totally spontaneous. If he'd been acting it would have looked a lot more awkward. Because Schwartz is NOT an actor. And Newman certainly didn't expect Schwartz to react the way he did.

BELIEVE ME ... I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT ... I AM AN ACTOR.
That was much too good a "performance" to have been done by people with no acting experience or training.
Not a hope in hell.
THAT WAS REAL!!!

As for Eddie McGuire's part in all this ... It was obvious that he had no prior knowlege of what Newman was going to do. He was obviously surprised and embarrassed by what happened, but he is a true showman and he knew that the "show must go on". There was nothing in his attitude to suggest that he condoned what Newman had done. He was simply trying to make sure that his TV show did not degenerate into total chaos. There was a very real risk of serious violence there and Eddie kept a level head.

The "conflict of interest" thing is complete nonsense. Forget that. Anyone trying to bring that up is just trying to milk this situation to push their particular barrow.

Sam Newman appears to have committed assault. And it's interesting to note that a man was recently JAILED for pushing a pie into Steve Bracks's face. Now, if the courts are at all consistent ... well, I'll leave the reader to fill in the rest. I doubt if it will get to court, because then Schwatz would be in trouble for retaliating.

Sam Newman should consider himself very lucky not to go to gaol.

**floreat pica**

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:27 am

Are you sure it wasn't a stunt i mean someone else on the set must have known sam had a cake or whatever it was, i missed the show so i suppose i cant really say anything..could it be a ratings thing i mean why in hell would sam chuck a cake in his face can someone tell me what sort of cake it was im bloody spewin im a bit partial to the odd slab of cake.

As i was laying in bed drooling at what a sensless waste of cake this was i was listening to the radio and this guy reckons schwartz immediately re-appeared in a spanking new bag of fruit

Im listening to you Alf but im not so sure i will wait till i read todays papers.

LOL....I WOULDA ASKED FOR A DOGGIE BAG.
I wouldnt get to upset about it anyway there is a lot of worse things in the world to worry about than to nervously breakdown over two millionaires (sam and schwartz)having a bitch fight on national telly.

If it was fair dinkum i feel sorry for ed cause he will cop all the shit as usual....but boy will the ratings go through the roof next thursday night.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:50 am

Eddie said on the show that he had no prior knowledge about the pie incident. Newman is genuinely upset at the performance he saw Melbourne put up last Monday. I think he was extremely harsh on Schwarz and should apologise to him.

Fradam Wrote This
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 3:56 am

Joffa, apart from what Alf has already said, you have to ask what David Schwartz would gain from deliberately participating. The answer is nothing. It wasn't good publicity for anybody.

Chris Tarrant had just come on and was the centre of attention, until Sam Newman decided that enough was enough and took the limelight back for himself. Tarrant sat silently for the rest of the show, except to say no when asked if knew that it was going to happen.

It was no set-up

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 4:23 am

Why would they need to stage it to get a "grab" for ratings? They show gets great ratings.

Insert Creative signature <HERE>
Broadie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 5:45 am

If Tazza ever wanted a good reason why footy is sometimes not worth it, Newman gave it last night.

Not only was Tarrant's appearance a complete waste of time, thanks to Newman (and didn't Chris look justifialy pissed off about it?), but Newman denigrated a very honourable person.

I turned off and went to bed.

And I am unlikely to watch again soon...it at all.

That was an utter disgrace and one of the most disrespectful scenes I have ever witnessed.

Broadie
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 5:46 am

after reading Alf's testimony, i wouldn't expect anyone else knew about sam's stunt in advance. i think he's basically given free licence to do whatever he wants.
but i really loved tazza's total indifference to it all. he just sat there like nothing was happening.
the thing that made me think it was pre-planned was the fact they replayed the incident in SLOW MOTION about 5 minutes later. that footage made schwartz look like a bloody psychotic! he had some serious fire in his eyes.

Legga 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:03 am

I agree with Mike. This was timed so Newman had the limelight back on him, as the camera and general discussion was focused on Taz. How do you think Taz feels, coming on the show to talk about the game and the grab, and has to put up this that pompous tool. I think that Benny Gale summed it up at the end when he said that schwarz had been treated badly and he was embarrased at what had gone on.
The footy show is quickly going from a really good light entertainment show that is focused on football, to Newman trying to turn it into the Sam hour, with his focus squarely on degrading people around him, from guests to audience to street-talk. It pisses me off when Cos Cardone and the other exec's (including Eddie) defend Newman by saying he is his own man. A cop-out load of crap!! I hope Schwarz does does a Sammy Hamill on his big, over-inflated, surgically inhanced head.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:09 am

I'd really like to know if it was planned or not. It would be hard to hide a cream pie AND carry it onto the set without anyone at all noticing.

Schwartz's reaction certainly made it appear that he had no idea it was going to happen. And if that's the case then Newman has to be held accountable and some action needs to be taken.

I don't think Eddie is in anyway to blame for the incident BUT it is considered HIS show so some of this is bound to stick on him as well.

I know Sam can be funny but he constantly goes too far. I've turned the Footy Show off a few times because of Sam Newman and his stupid, dangerous, crude and sexist behaviour.

I watch the show because I love football and Collingwood - NOT because I want to see Sam being a complete idiot! I enjoy a laugh just as much as the next person but there has to be a limit - especially on national TV.

Marg

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:38 am

yeah theres no way that coulda been set up. after it happened everyone (but sam) was shocked, esp tazza. hes just looking around like waiting for the punch on to start.
bloody sam, it was good with TAZZA on the show, but no you had to go off and wreck it.
oh yeah and joffa, i wouldnt worry too much about missing it, im sure it will be on tv many times over yet.
the stupid thing about it is that he was blaming schwarz for playing shit and that, but he was INJURED, how is it his fault that melb played shit when he wasnt even playing, it was just stupid and uncalled for.
and he had the cake in a box, which is why no one knew about it. as if eddie would let him do that, eddies the one who keeps the show under control when all their jokes start getting a bit too filtho for national tv. AND even if eddie did know about it (which im sure he didnt) AS IF he would schedule it to take the limelight from his precious TAZ!

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:53 am

WOW a cream cake, sounds lush...what a waste, if he chucked it at me i woulda caught the bugger and ate it.
Any way all this talk about cream cake is making me empty think
i'll mosie on down to the local cake shop and fang out.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:07 am

So Melbourne played shit is all i heard on the footy show.

What about the PIES,do we get any credit for WINNING??

On Sam Newman,he thrives on putting people down just watch street talk. Sam even puts down the club he played 300 games for.
SAMS CREDIBILITY AT GEELONG WOULD BE ZILCH!!

Sam is a total wanker that is going to grow into a very lonely old man unless he pulls his head in!!

What would we be feeling like if he rubbed a pie in Buckleys face if we lost.Most of us would head down to CH9 to give him a HUGE PAYOUT!!!!!!

Bye for now

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR WAY*****
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:23 am

if he did that to any collingwood player, mate, it would be more than a daewoo that would run him over.

"The Chad is great"
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:32 am

I didn't agree with what Newman did last night but at the same time I find it ironic.
David was unfairly done, but Justin Murphy was too when David called him a coconut. Ben Graham was also unfairly done when David called him a average player.
The point of this is that David likes to give it out (i.e Murphy)but when he cops some flack we are made to feel sorry for him.
I know a couple of players (my cousin plays for Fremantle) and they rate David as their most hated opponent. They say this because he shouts people down, is racist and make comments that aren't warrented.
I am not sticking up for Newman because I have lost all respect for him. What he did last night was uncalled for.
However David knows how it is to be treated unfairly, just like two of victims (there are many more)in Murphy and Graham.

May the St Kevin's Old Boys Prevail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: