Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kevin Phillips and England

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:50 am
Post subject: Kevin Phillips and EnglandReply with quote

I am incensed at eriksson's snub of kevin phillips for the england v greece game this weekend. what does the lad have to do?? kev is a good goalscorer, with fantastic predatory instincts, and I'd have thought that he would have been a logical replacement for owen. don't get me wrong - fowler and sherri are good players, but kev is arguably in better form than either of them. fair enough, he had a poor game on the weekend, but the fact that he still got a goal shows that he doesn't need many opportunities to make an impact. I don't understand this at all. brian clough was right to get stuck into eriksson.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
DIPPER 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Eriksson deserves any criticism at all as he has done a great job for England so far but I do agree that Phillips should be in the squad.I would never play him in the same England side as Owen as they're too similar & Owen is not only better but younger as well but with Owen injured Philips would have been the obvious replacement to me.He has the best goals to games ratio of any of Englnad's current top strikers.

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
I@n S 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 7:09 pm

I know this topic was made the 3rd and now its the 31st but hey Phillips should have been in the side instead of Teddy. Teddy is an old Favorite, but face it. Hes proberly 2 old for international football. Although I liked Ian Wright for England even in 1998..

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:46 am

SUPER, SUPER KEV
SUPER, SUPER KEV
SUPER, SUPER KEV
SUPER KEVIN PHILLIPS

wow, at long last SPK gets his chance, and well deserved too!
can anyone please tell me how many Skunkcastle players are in the England squad??

The full England squad:

Nigel Martyn (Leeds), Richard Wright (Arsenal), Ian Walker (Leicester).

Martin Keown (Arsenal), Rio Ferdinand (Leeds), Danny Mills (Leeds), Chris Powell (Charlton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Gary Neville (Manchester Utd), Phil Neville (Manchester Utd), Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough), Ugo Ehiogu (Middlesbrough).

David Beckham (Manchester Utd), Paul Scholes (Manchester Utd), Nicky Butt (Manchester Utd), Danny Murphy (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Trevor Sinclair (West Ham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Darren Anderton (Tottenham).

Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Michael Owen (Liverpool), Robbie Fowler (Liverpool), Kevin Phillips (Sunderland), Alan Smith (Leeds), Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham).

"consectatio excellentiae"
rash 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:12 am

How does Alan Smith get in the squad if he can't get a game for dirty Leeds? I did notice 6 Liverpool players in the squad. I do admit that I would like to see Phillips and Owen up front for England. Do you think they are too similar to play together?

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:09 pm

Definitely, if you play them together your just looking for the one ball to put them through every time, if the opposition defend deep then you're fu@ked.You have to have some one who can hold the ball up with players like that ie Heskey(even though he can't score) or Quinn at Sunderland.Even Fowler can come a bit deeper & hold onto the ball a bit giving the midfield the chance to advance upfield.

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:30 pm

dipper, the problem is emile heskey, who is shite. he's meant to run around and basically provide a big body in attack and take away one marker, but he invariably does nothing and hides all game. he did jack against sweden, and phillips had to carry the load. as for his goal scoring ability........

I think there's room in the english squad for both phillips and owen, but of course not in attack. phillips has now developed an all-round game, he's no longer an out and out goalscorer, but he can also pass the ball and provide link up play in midfield. I reckon he can play deep in midfield and assume an attacking link position, a la teddy sheringham, with owen and whoever else (hopefully not heskey) up front. beckham and gerrard can still put in the 50 yard crosses to owen.

"consectatio excellentiae"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: