Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sid Jackson's story

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I never new honesty was a 21st century trait. I must've been way ahead of my time Cool
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 am

When the true story emerged about the Jackson/Adamson issue in the Herald -Sun 1 May 1993 p.112. Adamson was quoted as saying he blamed Harris who 'set it up and I have despised him ever since for what he did.'

Lee, a schoolteacher from a progressive family was probably the Magpie player least likely to use racist language in the 1970 team. It is a measure of the man that he knew to blame Harris rather than Jackson.

George Harris is probably the most despicable person connected with Carlton. I know Pratt is a crook, Elliot is an arrogant pig and Collins was a thug but they pale into insignificance compared to the loathsome Harris. (It's all right Mods, he died a few months ago and can't sue Nicks for my comments) Not only did Harris force Jackson to bear false witness, not only did Harris make that obnoxious remark about beating Collingwood by five points in 1979, he also abused his friendship with Jim Cairns to set him up during the 1975 Loans Affair. Even his own Carlton members ended up turning against him in 1980 after his greed nearly sent the club bankrupt. (not that I have a problem with anyone sending Carlton bankrupt).

tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 pm

The main problem I had with the story was that because SYd had been called racist names by other players, it was OK for him to brand anyone racist because he was owed one or something. I dont have a problem with trying to apply modern ideals to a situation in the past but I dont think it works in many scenarios, this included. However it would be nice for the Age, esteemed publication it pretends to be, to make sure the ENTIRE story is printed.

As for Harris and his obvious contribution to the situation, above posts are correct, a prick, and the world is a better place with him not using the available oxygen.

tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
i only posted this article in relation to all the debates about the stolen generations.

PP, yeah I know. I just wanted to add the bit related to Collingwood, mainly because of the www.magpies.net bit at the top of your screen. Wink

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:13 am

Maxwell's Silver Hammer wrote:
Syd Jackson was exploited by the unscrupulous Carlton heirarchy led by G Harris at the time, and I feel just as sorry for him as I did for Lee Adamson for having his reputation destroyed.

Syd is a terrific guy and he was on a hiding to nothing in this instance.

Anyone who knew Lee Adamson back then would have known the allegation of racial abuse made against him was utter rubbish.

All round it was a sad chapter in an Australia of yesterday.

On an unrelated matter, is C365 down?

Right on the money Maxwell's Silver Hammer!

www.facebook/the hybernators
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:31 pm

EBB wrote:
member34258 wrote:
pica wrote:
member34258 wrote:
Jackson was told by his employers top man to lie.

He could have been a real man and refused to lie!

What planet do you live on?
This was the 1970's. An Aboriginal would consider himself just a step away from the sack if he did not do as requested, sorry, suggested.
You really cannot apply 21st century thinking to such a time.

Bollocks! Absolute Bollocks!

As I've stated before (fairly unpopularly) when viewing the events of the past, you need to consider the popular opinion and culture of the times, not just view them thru the current lens and judge them by that.

By viewing Jackson's actions thru the lens of how things were in the 70's, it becomes a lot more forgiveable than if an aboriginal footballer did the same thing in the same situation now.

People tend to forget, EEO and anti discrimination laws didn't exist prior to the 80's.
Aboriginals only got the vote in the 60's.
In the late 1800's Women didn't have the vote and children were being sent down scottish coal mines.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 pm

^
I know what the 70's were like, I was there.

If not progressive it certainly accepted provocation and yes, people were twitchy about racial discrimination but no where near like they are now.

On the other points, I agree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: