Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Police Union's fear for safety on NYE

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 am
Post subject: Police Union's fear for safety on NYEReply with quote

Police Union's fear for safety
December 30, 2007

POLICE and revellers are heading for a New Year's Eve showdown on Mornington Peninsula.

This news came as the police union threatened to abandon hot spots over fears for its members' safety.

Strict "zero tolerance" rules at Rye were met yesterday with a "zero adherence" attitude from party-goers who said they planned to defy bans on drinking in public places.

Added to the potentially explosive mix was the weather, with temperatures expected to soar into the 40s tomorrow before easing into the 30s for the night's celebrations.

Expected heat-inspired drunken behaviour and exhaustion would see emergency services on full alert.

Bans on entertainment at Rye, including cancelling the carnival and fireworks, inspired revellers to plot alternatives.

Self-confessed "party animal" George, 27, of Ringwood, was loading up with alcohol yesterday for a planned tent party on Rye beach.

"This slab is for tonight. We'll need to stock up tomorrow," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22985810-661,00.html

pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Police demand riot helmets for New Year's Eve
December 31, 2007

POLICE have given headquarters a New Year's Eve ultimatum, saying they won't patrol a Mornington Peninsula hotspot tonight without riot helmets.

The police union has given force command until this morning to agree to protective gear for officers sent to Rye foreshore.

Otherwise it would serve a prohibition notice on the site, preventing members from working there.

The prohibition notice would mean officers would not go within 50m of a group of 15 or more people congregated within a 10m sq area.

The Herald Sun revealed last Friday that Peninsula police were demanding protective equipment to deal with the kind of drunken hoodlums who last year pelted them with bottles and chairs during ugly scenes at Rye.

It is believed the association is prepared to drop the demand for shields but helmets are non-negotiable.

Police Association assistant secretary Bruce McKenzie said the union was keen to continue talking to senior police to solve the impasse, but time was running out.

"At the end of the day the Rye foreshore will be our members' workplace," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22988941-661,00.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

Bit of a catch 22.

Outfitting police in "Riot" gear would be viewed by many as unneccessary provocation.

On the other hand, trying to get groups of drunks to tone down their partying on new years eve is not something I'd try without kevlar body armour.

member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:38 am

Tazer them all!

No need for riot gear then.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Helmets should be a necessity, what's the chance that some drunk idiot is going to chuck a bottle at an officer's head?

See your point Stui, but they've got to be prepared.

Maybe they should have a truck full of shields that the police officers only pull out if things start to get nasty?

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:23 pm

Thats what they want, but this state doesnt believe in protecting its police officers, if they were serious they would buy one of those riot trucks that NSW got
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:46 pm

David wrote:
Helmets should be a necessity, what's the chance that some drunk idiot is going to chuck a bottle at an officer's head?

Maybe they should have a truck full of shields that the police officers only pull out if things start to get nasty?

The cops are just people doing their job and deserve to be protected against idiots, you just need to be careful that situations that could be "put down" peacefully aren't unintentionally provoked.

Mind you, some of the idiots who get on the p1ss these days and would start a fight with their own reflection in a mirror after a few drinks don't need much provoking. With those numbnuts, I tend to agree with Member's comment even though I assume it was tongue in cheek.

Maybe, similar to what you say David, rely on the Police doing their job as normal and trying to cool down the idiots but give them access to the riot gear in the boot of the car or something and allow them the discretion of when to use it.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 pm

Why is it we allow Public drinking during NYE celebrations, but not any other time of the year.

Public Drunkedness IMO is a sad reflection upon our society. I don't begrudge anyone having a drink. But we have pubs and private residences for that.

But that is the problem with society in general as people do not think of others only themselves.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

The cops are just people doing their job and deserve to be protected against idiots, you just need to be careful that situations that could be "put down" peacefully aren't unintentionally provoked.

Mind you, some of the idiots who get on the p1ss these days and would start a fight with their own reflection in a mirror after a few drinks don't need much provoking. With those numbnuts, I tend to agree with Member's comment even though I assume it was tongue in cheek.

Maybe, similar to what you say David, rely on the Police doing their job as normal and trying to cool down the idiots but give them access to the riot gear in the boot of the car or something and allow them the discretion of when to use it.

Thats what they are asking for, but they wont give them that
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:11 pm

bwphantom wrote:
Why is it we allow Public drinking during NYE celebrations, but not any other time of the year.

Public Drunkedness IMO is a sad reflection upon our society. I don't begrudge anyone having a drink. But we have pubs and private residences for that.

But that is the problem with society in general as people do not think of others only themselves.

Hell, we agree

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Frank Stone wrote:
bwphantom wrote:

Hell, we agree

Does happen Frank. If we sat down and talked you would probably find we have quite alot in common mate.

Shocked

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:26 am

stui magpie wrote:
Mind you, some of the idiots who get on the p1ss these days and would start a fight with their own reflection in a mirror after a few drinks don't need much provoking.

Digressing slightly, my girlfriend wants to drag me along to summernats this year. I think I'd rather be castrated.

I thought of that, because, if I end up going, I'll be spending the day with a few thousand males who roughly fit the description in Stui's post. Still, I'd rather be there so that at least when she gets sexually harrassed by drunken bogan idiots, I can tell them to **** off and get my face punched in.

Judging by reports of last year's summernats (which, for those who don't know, is Canberra's car show/beer guzzling/premier boob flashing event), normal rules and laws don't apply to large groups of drunken people.

Hope tonight is/was relatively quiet and doesn't result in too much violence.

member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Another media beat up. Very little violence last night, unless you play for Carlscum of course.
Stui, I don't joke about these things. Pepper spray and tasers. The way of future policing in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: