Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Speed Kills - Please slow down

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

God has designed the world according to his own plan.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm

David wrote:
We don't have complete free will, Tess. I can't break laws without expecting to face consequences.

Why should speeding be any different? There are laws against speeding, and there is no place I have ever driven in Australia where going 130 km/h isn't breaking the law. Why then should the option be there to go at that speed?

I have, Sandown! Very Happy
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:26 pm

what's the answer? looking to restrict the number of passengers a p plater can carry is a start but the passengers don't steer the car or press the accelerator. maybe it will reduce the instance of peer pressure.

can something be done in the schools, before young adults get to the legal driving age? maybe as part of the learning cycle those graphic ads and videos could be shown. somehow the consequences need to be communicated quite forcefully.

it really is selfish and inconsiderate of others to think they are infallible and undertake acts of idiocy.

good god i'm sounding like the people i used to give the finger to.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:45 pm

It's part of being a teenager. You can't put a 30 year old brain into a teenager no matter how hard you try. They will do dumb things and think they're bullet proof.

Personally, I think confiscating hoons cars are a good start but again, once teens get hyped with mates, the concept of "consequences of actions" are a foreign language.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:50 pm

Also the fact there is no real threat from the law, you can get away with anything these days
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Jock McPie wrote:
can something be done in the schools, before young adults get to the legal driving age? maybe as part of the learning cycle those graphic ads and videos could be shown.

This already happens. Have you heard of the 'road ready course' that kids have to take before they get their L's? That's pretty much 50-60% of it... graphic car accident ads.

It doesn't work. I'm no hoon, but I've done some stupid things in the past on the road, and believe me, you just don't think of those ads while you're driving. Human beings have an excellent capacity to screen out things they don't want to think about.

I liked my suggestion though... does anyone think it has any merit? Just again on Tess's rights argument, I would gladly sacrifice my ability to drive faster than 120 km/h (something I have never had the need or desire to do anyhow) if one less person died on the roads because of it.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 pm

David wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:
can something be done in the schools, before young adults get to the legal driving age? maybe as part of the learning cycle those graphic ads and videos could be shown.

This already happens. Have you heard of the 'road ready course' that kids have to take before they get their L's? That's pretty much 50-60% of it... graphic car accident ads.

When did this start?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:00 pm

well, I suppose it could be a Canberra/ACT thing, but I got my L's when I was 15... so 2004.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:01 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
David wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:

When did this start?

that's a pretty good start then but is this nationwide or only act? having lived in nz for some time all i know nowadays is they allow 15 year olds to get their learners and when they get to p plate stage [known as restricted] they have a limit if the number of passengers they can carry [with at least one who has to be licensed] and there is a curfew of sorts where they can't carry anyone.

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm

David wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:

it's been happening at my old school up the country for probably 20yrs now. it's actually quite widely known around driving schools and the like. it's been a saviour to many a young driver. starts at about 15 i think.. not 100% sure, but high school ages and pre learners age.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm no expert on this but I'll give you an idea of the ACT driving laws.

You can get your Ls when you get to 15 and 9 months. The process is a three day 'road-ready course' which is pretty much a series of discussions and activities about the road rules, driving safely, and the aforementioned disturbing ads. You can also do this at high school, like most do, and I have no idea of what that consists of. You then have to sit the online test, which consists of about 22 multiple choice questions about different road rules. If you fail you can try again, but it costs you money every time.

You then have two years to get your P's, otherwise you have to go back and sit the test again.

To get your P's you either go for a one-off test or a logbook program after six months or your 17th birthday. Logbook costs about 10 times as much, but you learn a lot more, and you gain a lot of skills and confidence, as opposed to the test, which is hard to pass, by all accounts (I only took it once, failed horribly. But then again, I'm not a very good driver).

Once you get your P's, you're on them for three years. The only real differences between P-Plates and full license is the need to display your P-Plates, of course, and you have less demerit points and a lower blood alcohol limit. In the ACT you have the ability to take a course after six months which allows you to remove your P-plates from display (although with the other restrictions still in place).

I know that in NSW, other rules apply for p-platers such as curfews and special speed limits (you can't go faster than 80 or 90 regardless of the speed limit?), but no such rules occur here in Canberra.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 pm

David wrote:
I'm no expert on this but I'll give you an idea of the ACT driving laws.

Much easier in Victoria, at 16 you sit a multiple choice computer test and need about 70% I think, been a long time

Then after 2 years a driving test that is very easy, just a cruise around the local area and one parking test which could be any of the parking methods and you are allowed 3-4 mistakes

P's are 3 years and no alcohol and cant rack up x amount of demerit points in a 12 month period, probably about 3-4 I think

Although somethings may have changed now, I know there was talk of making it tougher which would be wise as its easy to get a licence
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 pm

They have made it tougher in Vic. Getting your L's is a piece of piss. I know someone who just did the practice test on the web site a few times then went in first time and got it without ever reading the book.

To get you're P's you also have to pass a computerised "hazard" test and, from July onward, need documented proof of 120 hours of driving practice including 10 at night before you can sit the test.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
They have made it tougher in Vic. Getting your L's is a piece of piss. I know someone who just did the practice test on the web site a few times then went in first time and got it without ever reading the book.

To get you're P's you also have to pass a computerised "hazard" test and, from July onward, need documented proof of 120 hours of driving practice including 10 at night before you can sit the test.

Thats right, forgot the hazard test

And thats almost the same with me, although I flicked through a couple of pages at random beforehand, funnily enough one of the things I looked at came up (something about trams) Laughing

I wouldnt have done the 120 hours, although easily did the 10 hours at night, most of my driving was at night and a bit in the rain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: