Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rudd promises formal apology

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

An Apology has to be made those who can't endorse this have no heart. Just because it wasn't our generation doesn't make us not responsible for following up past wrongs of our former leaders and John Howard had 11 years of wrongs.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:21 pm

3rd degree wrote:
An Apology has to be made those who can't endorse this have no heart. Just because it wasn't our generation doesn't make us not responsible for following up past wrongs of our former leaders and John Howard had 11 years of wrongs.

Thank you

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm

[quote="Northern Pie"]
Frank Stone wrote:
This is a sickening thread.
Some of you people should hang your heads in shame.
Disgusting

Adding to the topic again I see.....

Cheers

My minor comment had far more substance to it than your pages of vitriolic hate filled crap.

Sorry mate, did I hurt your intellect again? let me guess you did a project in year 3 about the Aboriginals therefore you are an expert on the topic. Nothing I have posted in this thread is vitriolic or hate filled. You know I am not sure why you bother with us mere mortals? I am sure you will feel more at home on the "I profess to be God" boards which I am sure you are already a member of. Your crap has become boring and old quickly...at least it took John Howard 11 years before people had had enough of him....as a matter of fact Frank you are just like John Howard.....Obsolete....

Cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:15 am

I kind of expected to be slammed on this issue, though when you look at it objectively, it doesn't seem immediately obvious why.

I'm not writing from a racist perspective. I'm not preaching hate or acts of violence. I'm not parroting redneck views on how Aborigines are 'bad people' or whinging about how they need to get their act together.

I see a problem, a problem that I am sure all of you posting in this thread agree exists. Is my fault in seeking a solution? Or are my suggested solutions so horribly offensive that they should not even be considered?

This racist, fascist, idiotic, hate-filled plan of mine is about eliminating social differences, conflict and poverty. I believe that one of the main factors prolonging these issues is the confusing and hypocritical messages that are sent out by the media and politicians in today's society when these issues come up. In my humble opinion, all that is really needed is a solid and logical thought process (and yes, it's probably one far better and more informed than mine) that is developed to combat the situation that so many indigenous people are in at the moment.

If cultural assimilation is a terrible idea, are there any better ways of combatting the problems facing Indigenous communities at the moment? Surely it couldn't hurt to think about it, and I really think this is an issue that deserves honest discussion.

I notice that the majority of posters in this thread, many of whom I hold a lot of respect for, disagree with my views. Omar, I think you and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues, to say the least, and I think this is a good example of that. However, I'll do my best to reply all the same.

sherrife wrote:
David wrote:

I've got nothing against Aboriginal culture, but I wonder if that traditional culture really even exists as such any more.

What the f@#!k.

What the F#$%^@$%K do you know about this issue?

Who the F@#$@#$&@K are you to "wonder" whether or not "traditional culture" exists any more? Of course it exists, you just haven't got a clue what it is, and what's more it's clear from your post that you don't have a clue what culture even means. Cultures evolve, develop, adapt and mould themselves to new environments, new socio-political contexts. They rarely "die", but they can be somewhat overwhelmed by other cultures with more power behind them (eg. colonial powers vs. subjects, hollywood vs. australian film makers). Even in these cases, resistance is ongoing, and is the ultimate right of those resisting cultural imperialism.

You talk about cultures being somewhat overwhelmed - couldn't you argue that such a thing has occurred with Australian Indigenous cultures? Television, alcohol, drugs, public education... they are all alien to traditional Aboriginal culture (as in pre-white settlement culture). Sure, cultures can develop over time, but surely you can see there has not been much in the way of cultural development occurring, more a case of 'white' culture running headlong into Aboriginal culture approximately 200 years ago, with the effects still resounding today. This is not what I would describe as cultural development.

sherrife wrote:
Did you know that there are Indigenous Australians in central oz who barely speak 'standard english' (but are fluent in 5 or 6 Indigenous languages as well as a creole) who live off bush tucker from the local environment, and who interact with white people less than once a year?

So, a small minority have managed to keep their traditional culture alive and have managed to avoid much of the impact of Anglo-Saxon culture.

How many generations do you think that will last for?

Meanwhile, for the vast majority of Australian Aborigines, that is simply not the case, and never will be. It is a completely unrealistic notion that the majority of our indigenous population could return to such a lifestyle in the midst of this consumer-oriented, capitalist nation.

sherrife wrote:
Did you know that there are an infinite number of lifestyles that Indigenous people can have incorporating (or not) their traditional culture/s, and that you (and I, and anyone else) have absolutely NO RIGHT to demand anything of them(or anyone else)?

It's not about demanding. No-one is going to be able to force anybody to do anything.

My suggestion is that Aboriginal children go to 'white' schools and learn through the 'white' education system without heavy encouragement to learn Aboriginal culture. Of course, the freedom must also be there to explore their ancestor's culture if they want to, but it shouldn't be forced upon them.

sherrife wrote:
David wrote:

Don't allow an 'us-against-them' mentality to develop... make it just, 'us'.

Sounds sufficiently fascist to come from Pauline Hanson's mouth...

There is something wrong with the concept of unity? Or is this just a case of, what I said sounds a bit like something from fascist ideology, so therefore it must be bad?

sherrife wrote:
You're all too right. We would have succeeded in totally eliminating more than 500 distinct language and culture groups.

What a dream you've got there mate, what a beautiful dream.

I always considered people more important than languages, or cultures.

Languages and cultures are, in the end, what divide us. Wars are fought because of it. Xenophobia, racism and religious discrimination all exist because of them.

My dream, beautiful or otherwise (and yes I grant you, highly unrealistic), is a world in which every single person has a chance to achieve happiness, where everybody treats each other with respect and love, and a world in which people aren't divided by cultural, religious and linguistic differences. I don't believe in the superiority of any culture over another (not in a Darwinist sense, at least), or any race over another, or even any person over another.

What is it you want?

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:57 am

Respect for difference and acknowledgement that diversity is legitimate and to be welcomed would be a nice start.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:31 am

Quote:
In the remote Aboriginal settlements of the Northern Territory, the Coalition's vote fell by close to half — from an already pathetic 21.5% in 2004 to a miserable 12.4% in 2007. One could not imagine a clearer rejection of Mal Brough's tactics by the people they were supposed to help.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/landslide-marks-election-where-regional-votebuying-never-matteredless/2007/11/30/1196394625556.html
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:45 am

nomadjack wrote:
Quote:
In the remote Aboriginal settlements of the Northern Territory, the Coalition's vote fell by close to half — from an already pathetic 21.5% in 2004 to a miserable 12.4% in 2007. One could not imagine a clearer rejection of Mal Brough's tactics by the people they were supposed to help.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/landslide-marks-election-where-regional-votebuying-never-matteredless/2007/11/30/1196394625556.html

As I previously said not really racist views, just mis guided principles.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: