Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The modern way to decide your vote.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpie Jack wrote:

Nuclear Power....This one really scares me. The Libs have openly said they want it.

Nuclear power makes no economic sense in Australia.
Doubt if there will ever be a commercial plant in this country.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Memeber, we agree on something. I doubt very much we'll ever get nuclear power in Australia, and I for one would probably protest against any plan.

Without trying to show my green tinge, there's lot of other ways to do it.

With the number of new houses being built everywhere, there's a few things I'd like to see incorporated into the planning regulations.

1. All new homes to have a set percentage of the total land set aside for vegetation. Trees, Grass, Shrubs, whatever floats your boat.

2. Compulsory rain water tanks to allow watering of said vegetaion

3. Solar roof panels/windmill to generate electricity which are wired back into the main power grid, reducing the homes reliance on purchased power. I saw a house on a show with a propeller on the roof less than 1 metre diamter and that along with the solar panels generated between 50% to 120% of the homes power depending on the weather.

4. I'd also consider banning those massive ducted evaporative air conditioning units, only because I'm concerned about how much water they actually use

Go one someone, tell me I'm an idiot.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 pm

^ you're an idiot stui but not for the reasons outlined in your post. Razz btw, i felt obligated to tell you that. selfless i am.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks Jock. Wink
EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:

With the number of new houses being built everywhere, there's a few things I'd like to see incorporated into the planning regulations.

1. All new homes to have a set percentage of the total land set aside for vegetation. Trees, Grass, Shrubs, whatever floats your boat.

2. Compulsory rain water tanks to allow watering of said vegetaion

3. Solar roof panels/windmill to generate electricity which are wired back into the main power grid, reducing the homes reliance on purchased power. I saw a house on a show with a propeller on the roof less than 1 metre diamter and that along with the solar panels generated between 50% to 120% of the homes power depending on the weather.

4. I'd also consider banning those massive ducted evaporative air conditioning units, only because I'm concerned about how much water they actually use

..and throw in a worm farm. (now we're getting Australia back on track)

Quote:
HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS
The A & A Worm Farm Waste System is located similar to a septic tank, that is approximately 2 metres minimum from the house and depending on the slope of the land may be located further away. A standard 100mm sewer pipe connection is made from all of the outlets in the house to the Worm Farm Waste System. These pipes and fittings should be installed by your local plumber. All plumbing fittings are standard.

Quote:
NO SMELLS
The Worm Farm Waste System does not have a septic smell, if any smell is evident it could be related to an earthy smell. The liquid which leaves the process is clear, odourless, aerated and contains worm castings.

Quote:
WHAT CAN YOU PLACE INTO THE CHAMBER?
All kitchen waste, newspapers, cardboard, weeds and all organic material may be placed into the chamber.

http://www.wormfarm.com.au/domestic_waste_systems.php

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:07 pm

sherrife wrote:

It is not a 'waste' that i will not vote because I refuse to negotiate away my fundamental beliefs and principles.

Yeah, but you dream for what is probably impractical, and is highly unlikely to ever happen. I understand your feelings, and you are welcome to have them, but I need to understand something, do you think you would have the same freedoms in many other countries?

I'm not going to argue with you, because frankly I can't be bothered, but I think what we have is probably much better than many alternatives.

Last edited by Joel on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm

That's just your personal opinion.
EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 pm

There's an old saying "careful for what you wish for". You'd be surprised Joel of how life can change before your eyes when you don't acknowledge paticular "patterns".
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Sure, but democracy, nor the things that come with it, have popped up over night. Nor, is Australia the kind of society that will take up arms against our own government.
EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:24 pm

That's somewhat accurate Joel, But I wasn't offering an immediate band-aid nor a spanner to fix any problems.

If everyone changed their daily "patterns" with a positive attitude then those small steps will lead on to - a different positive path.

member34258 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Agree with all your point stui.
I'm currently in the throes of filling an acre with trees etc etc. Hard work, but in 10 years time I hope to be living in a forest.
This was outside my back door this morning.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:15 pm

""? he or she'm in the throes of filling an acre with trees? I've lost the context, member34258. Are we still on he or she'm in the throes of filling an acre with trees? That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were talking about Hard work but in 10 years time he or she hope to be living in a forest. Let us change the subject. Tell me a story.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks member and others.

It frustrates me to hear all this "plant a tree for the envirnment" when all these new houses are being built with no yard. The outdoor area's are landscaped and paved entertainment areas. What's wrong with grass and trees in the yard? Confused

For those looking for instant gratification, I recently planted 2 powten sapphire dragon trees in selected places in my yard. Deciduous so they're ideal for shade in summer, grow from 1 m to 7 m in 3 years and once established can tolerate frost, extreme heat and don't need a lot of water.

member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Will purchase some this weekend stui.
Thanks.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:40 pm

EBB wrote:
If everyone changed their daily "patterns" .

...and therein lies a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: