Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Save the Tin Shed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 am
Post subject: Save the Tin ShedReply with quote

I don't know how many of you have ever been to Port Douglas, but it is a truly beautiful part of the world.

I'm not into all the pretty, new resorts being built on the outskirts of town or even the glitzy marina with it's souless fancy shops and restaurents that could be transplanted easily to Melbourne or Syndey with no noticeable difference in character, I like the “old” parts of town that maintain that special character of the town.

One of these is the Port Douglas District and Combined Club, affectionately referred to by locals as “The Tin Shed”.

It is an iconic part of Port Douglas.

It's situated right next to the boat ramp on the inlet where locals launch their tinnies to go out fishing and is a few hundred metres up stream from the marina so it is the perfect place to prop with a beer, chat to locals (or tourists) and watch the boats return from the day on the reef.

This review doesn't do justice to the place but is better than what I can write.

http://www.portdouglasinfo.com/region_guide/index.php?RegionInfoID=416&RegionSubjectID=51

The reason for this post is that while I was up there recently, it came to my attention that the Tin Shed is under threat from developers. All the buildings along that strip are on crown land and are leased. A developer has bought out the leases for about about 100 metres either side of the Tin Shed and their lease is up for renewel next year. So in short, they're under the pump.They don't know if their lease will be renewed of if they will be squeezed out.

It would be both a tragedy and a travesty if this iconic part of the fabric of the soul of Port Douglas was allowed to be torn down and replaced by some glitzy, tacky, soulless monstrosity.

They have a petition in the club which I signed but I don't think they've hit the computer age so for everyone who's ever been to Port Douglas and the Tin Shed or anyone who opposes this kind of development on principle, I'd encourage you to contact the club and offer to sign their petition.

Their contact details are:

Port Douglas District and Combined Club
Ashford Street Port Douglas
QLD. 4877
ph 07 40995553

Please help to save part of the soul of a town that has been fighting a steady rear guard action to prevent becoming just another Gold Coast style holiday destination.

Stuart Gilson
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stui, I will be up there in 24 days, (not that I am counting or anything) and I will make sure all the family will call in to sign that petition, and just watch the boats and the sun go down.

Sounds absolutely just what we all love, and even kiddie friendly! Not too sure how they will cope with my 2 year old grandaughter singing "good old Collingwood forever" when the footy game is on! LOL

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:06 pm

LOL, Take the young one down to the central hotel to watch the game. It can look a little uninviting at first cos it'sa lot quieter than the corner hotel, but it's a sensational joint. Sat out the front one night and had a sing-a-long with an aboriginal bloke who just rocked up with a guitar and started playing and singing. (Til his wife came and dragged him home Razz )

Have a really great time. I'm going to move there in the next 18 months or when I can sort out the finances.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Got there last Wednesday, fantastic spot stui, thanks for the recomendation. Could sit there all day watching the big boasts coming and going!
Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:59 pm

I will be making too that this place doesn't get shut down. I went there in January after I was in Cairns, and loved it!

I really hate this business with developers trying to take over small places. My hometown (Newcastle) has been run over with developers, and it's now forcing a lot of people out of their homes because they can't cope with the noise.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 pm

It's a great place allright. Must have been bloody humid there in January. I'll have to go and test it out to see if Ican cope with it at that time of year. Maybe just spend all day in the Tin Shed or the Central. Wink
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am

GREAT NEWS:

"Known and loved by generations as the Tin Shed, the Port Douglas and District Combined Services Clubs has been granted a new lease on life....
In an unusual moment of unity, all Douglas Shire councillors voted this week to grant a 32-year extension to the club's lease. The decision still needs to be agreed to by the Department of Natural Resources and Water"

Source: The Cairns Post 10/8/07.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:01 am

Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaawwwwwwww.

You ripper. Very Happy

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:19 pm

AWESOME!!!

Hey Stui, yeah it was humid as but it was really nice. It'd rain late every afternoon and we'd just walk around in the rain, absolutely beautiful!!! Living in Sydney, I'm used to bad humidity in the summer time. Tropical humidity doesn't bother me too much though.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Some pics of the veiw from the Tin shed, and around Port Douglas.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:01 pm

If I were to put out a plea for help in saving Oran Park from developers, would I get the same response?

We lost a state-of-the-art speedway track in Deer Park because of developers, but did I see any cry for help about that.

That would be a resounding NO to both.

Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: