Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Canberra to seize control of Murray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well horses need water lol
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:53 pm

HAHAHA!

Bracks resigns for the very reason that I criticised him for - he has to worry about his son so he cant give his job as premier 100%.

Game set and match.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:04 pm

So now he is a good father because he quits? You attacked him personally about his son not because of his job. That's no game set and match that's ignorance on your part goose.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:06 pm

member34258 wrote:

P.S. So I "personally attacked" you for your comment in the Lohan thread?
Here's the comment;
Quote:
She is a good reason why there should be communism.

Tell me what is intelligent about that statement.
Oh and how about the "Adolph" reference?
Poor form I say!

You are saying the Lohan thread is a serious one?

In any event, the obscenity of these ultra rich doing what they do a la Lohan and the Beckhams for example is one reason why certain people still cling to the ideals of communism and quite frankly, twith he obscenity that their lifestyle represents, I dont blame them.

As for confusing the two schemes you talk about, I am aware they are separate. I am aware of the lost water through evaporation. But Melbourne will get teh benefits of any such Bracks system 3 years before the GV.

Hopefully with Hymie Bracks gone to attend to his recdivist family, Brumby will show some true leadership.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Culprit wrote:
So now he is a good father because he quits? You attacked him personally about his son not because of his job. That's no game set and match that's ignorance on your part goose.

No he has been a bad father and now must attend to that task.

No need for the personal abuse just becasue you are from a Labor family. I am aware of your personjal sesnititivities but I wasnt talking about your father and your family.

Look at Bob Hawke and his drug addict daughter.

Poor form on your part Dale.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:58 pm

So with Bracks and Thwaites gone, I'm guessing little Johnny will be on the phone to donkey boy ASAP to get his autograph on the water deal.
Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:57 pm

The hypocrite line starts at the right but I am not in it.
member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Shane Whelan wrote:
HAHAHA!

Bracks resigns for the very reason that I criticised him for - he has to worry about his son so he cant give his job as premier 100%.

Game set and match.

Quote:
I have just left a meeting with my Cabinet Ministers, where I have informed them I intend to resign as Premier, Leader of the Parliamentary Labor Party and as the Member for Williamstown.

No decision of this nature is easy. But I believe it is absolutely the right decision. Right for the State, right for the Government and right for the Labor Party. It is also the right decision for Terry and our family.

The Government could not be in better shape. We have a talented and cohesive team. We enjoy a strong mandate from the Victorian people. There is an ambitious and realistic program to deliver water security, a strong economy, strong regions and continuous improvement in health, education and public safety.

Victoria now is so much better than it was 8 years ago.

Today, 400,000 Victorians have new jobs and our unemployment rate is the lowest since the 1980s.

Regional Victoria has shared in this economic success – unemployment in regional Victoria now is around half of what it was when we came to government.

Our population has been growing faster than at any time in the past 40 years, helping to drive a dynamic, high-skilled economy.

And we have been delivering the dividends of that economic growth in better services.

In education, literacy and numeracy rates have improved. Retention rates to year 12 are now 81 per cent and rising. Eight years ago they were 77 per cent and falling.

Our hospital emergency departments are among the most effective and efficient in the nation. We now treat 26 per cent more patients each year than eight years ago.

We are safer. Crime rates in Victoria are a massive 22 per cent lower than when we came to office – lower because we have been tough on crime, we have increased penalties and we have given the police the resources they need.

And Victoria is now fairer and more accountable with the restoration of the powers of the Auditor-General, DPP and the Parliament.

All of this has been done while maintaining sound fiscal policies and first restoring, then securing, our AAA credit rating.

We have also confronted the great challenges of the future – water security, climate change and productivity.

Melbourne will be drought proof within five years and we will be able to move water to areas of need all over Victoria.

We acted early on climate change by buying green energy, encouraging renewable power generation and cutting domestic and industrial consumption.

And we have proclaimed the most number of national parks in Victoria’s history.

Through the National Reform Agenda we delivered a plan to drive the next wave of reform to help shape our future.

Victoria is also now a more cohesive society and we have a sense of community quite remarkable for a State as large and diverse as ours.

I am also personally proud that Labor in Victoria is now seen as the responsible financial manager. I had an ambition to rehabilitate Labor in Victoria – I believe we have succeeded.

As someone from provincial Victoria, I also take pride that no matter where you live, you now have a better prospect of getting a job and getting access to high quality services than when we came to office.

Against this background of real achievement, I believe the circumstances are right and the time is right for a new leader.

As I said, the Government in is good shape, with a talented team, a strong majority and with solid policy foundations to tackle the challenges ahead.

When I entered Parliament 13 years ago I did so with a determination to give my best – to give 100 per cent for as long as I stayed in public life.

Holding high public office is the greatest privilege and honour available in our democracy. You have enormous opportunities to shape the fortunes and the character of the community you serve.

You have the chance to act on the principles that first drove you to seek election. In return, you must make a total commitment to meet the demands and challenges of the job. That is an iron-clad rule of public life.

So, once you reach a point when you know you can no longer give that commitment the choice is clear. I have recently made that choice and now intend to leave public office and make a new and different life outside politics.

Inevitably, questions will be asked about the events of recent weeks and the part they played in reaching this decision.

The truth is that they did. But only in confirming my course - not in setting it.

After 22 years of standing for public office, 13 years in Parliament and almost eight years as Premier, I leave politics proud of what has been achieved, proud of how we have done our job and confident of Labor’s future in this great State.

We have been, by any measure, a hard-working government, a responsible government and a compassionate government.

As a result, Labor has reclaimed its rightful place as the Party best equipped to develop and implement policies for the benefit of working Victorian families.

For me it is the right time to step down. I could not have given any more to this great job than I have. So, as soon as I realised that I could no longer continue to give 100 per cent into the future – and could not commit to contest the election in 2010 - I was obliged to tell the Victorian people as early as possible.

In this way the Party and the Government will be able to manage a smooth and effective transition to a new leader.

Of course, without the support and confidence of the Victorian electorate at three elections none of this would have been possible.

I thank them for the trust they have put in us. I believe we have repaid that trust.

Then, my Parliamentary colleagues and those who have served in the three governments.

Our Caucus is a group of men and women with deep connections to their communities and fierce determination to get the best for them. Without these qualities we could not have won and held the seats necessary to form governments.

The Cabinet Ministers who have served with me have been outstanding. Our Cabinets have been notable for their teamwork and mutual respect.

And my Ministries have been unusual in politics - and perhaps unique in Labor politics - for the absence of rancour in our discussions and debates.

We have been a true Cabinet Government.

Without diminishing any of the others I must thank two Ministers in particular.

John Thwaites has been a source of unfaltering strength as Deputy Premier. His work ethic and loyalty are matched only by his compassion and commitment to social justice.

John Brumby has been the architect of our economic success and in establishing Labor as the responsible managers of the State’s finances.

He is, by any measure, the best Treasurer in any government in this country. He is also, in my view, the best Treasurer Victoria has ever had.

Finally, there are many people to thank. I will ensure I do that personally to the many who so richly deserve my gratitude.

Today, however, I will mention a few.

My personal staff, Sharon McCrohan, Media Director, who has been with me for the whole journey, my Chief of Staff, Geoff Walsh, Press Secretary, Alison Crosweller, my Secretary Rosa Silvestro, my drivers Phil and Anita.

My electorate staff – Damien, John and Cath. The Party President, Bill Shorten, and State Secretary, Stephen Newnham.

The head of the Department of Premier and Cabinet, Terry Moran, and the other heads of departments and agencies and the great and talented public service that serves the government and the Victorian community so well.

To the media – I genuinely say thank you for the part you play in our democracy. I understand and respect your role. I believe the Victorian State round is one of the most professional in the country.

Most importantly I thank my family – Terry, Nick, Amy and Will.

You have been my mainstay and you have given me unbelievable support.

Our children have only really ever known politics. Our youngest child, Will, for example, was born 13 years ago, at the start of my parliamentary career.

We will now all take some new directions together.

Thank you.

The first quote is from someone who has little idea.
the second quote is from an intelligent, humble and honest man.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:20 pm

The second quote is from someone who inherited a repatriated Victoria, was given a cash cow with the GST (were he didnt reduce stamp duty which was part of the deal) and then did nothing for Victoria.

We ahve makred time for 8 years. There is not one "monument" or land mark you can point to and say this was due to Bracks.

He is a man who couldnt control his family crises without resigning. So he did. As Thwaites said he did.

And member can you stop with the ad hominem abuse. I have not abused you personally at all. Dont agree with me but your abuse does you no favours. We are both Collingwood, after all.

You think I am a Liberal man. Check out my views on the Federal government. I am not your enemy just because I dont like your hero.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:26 am

I feel sorry that you believe his decision was based solely on his son's misdemeanor.
I feel sorry that such thoughts will discourage good people from putting their hands up to go into politics. Like it or not, we need good people to run our country/states.
If we accept that you can not lead a society and have a family, then what hope is there for the future? A Parliament full of single men and women?
What a lovely place it will be if that ever comes to fruition.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:29 am

member34258 wrote:
I feel sorry that you believe his decision was based solely on his son's misdemeanor.
I feel sorry that such thoughts will discourage good people from putting their hands up to go into politics. Like it or not, we need good people to run our country/states.
If we accept that you can not lead a society and have a family, then what hope is there for the future? A Parliament full of single men and women?
What a lovely place it will be if that ever comes to fruition.

No one has said that. My view is if you arent able to look after your family and raise them properly, how can you then be a good leader of 4 million people?

If you can do both, please put your hand up.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:31 am

You really are a tool.

Sorry if that offends, but I mean really, you don't know the man, you don't know the family. Yet you are prepared to denigrate him on a personal level.
Flame me all you like, but tool seems apt.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:39 am

member34258 wrote:
You really are a tool.

Sorry if that offends, but I mean really, you don't know the man, you don't know the family. Yet you are prepared to denigrate him on a personal level.
Flame me all you like, but tool seems apt.

Unlike you I dont flame nor play the poster.

I feel sorry for you.

Go Pies!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Whatever his reasons, I'll give you one tip. Sacrificing for the sake of your kids doesn't necessarily get you anywhere in the log run.

Bracks did a good job. Not a great job but a good job. Kennet was an arrogant tool who had some goodish ideas but did things too hard; too fast and crushed too many people in the process.

History will be kinder to bracks than his labor predeccesors, but I actually hope Brumby gets another term cos he's got some guts and the Vic Libs are a rabble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: