Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Work(NO)Choices.....Proof of workers screwed.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm
Post subject: Work(NO)Choices.....Proof of workers screwed.Reply with quote

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22107704-661,00.html

Quote:
But it has emerged that the centre's new workers will be paid up to $124 a week less than workers on an existing union deal.

Quote:
And Excelior confirmed that it planned eventually to move all its Bendigo staff to the lower wages and conditions.

Quote:
SIX weeks' maternity leave, now paid, will become unpaid.

THE 17.5 per cent leave loading will be dropped.

WORKERS will no longer be entitled to representation at meetings to resolve disputes

Quote:
WORKERS cannot refuse to work overtime.

Quote:
Mr Jones said the new employees were paid up to $124 a week less than workers who were on the union agreement.

He said the deal would have failed the old industrial system's no-disadvantage test.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Steve jones. great politician, I don't think maths is his strong suit.

This was a case of a non union industrial agreement voted on and accepted by workers, not AWA's from what I read.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:38 pm

I personally know Steven Jones, have for many many years, in fact, one of the greatest teachers i ever had in Industrial Relations Law. (He is a Lawyer). What's math's got to do with it?

It's a non union collective agreement,but when your looking at NO JOB, as opposed to A job, you'll vote for anything.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:33 am

Proud Pies wrote:
It's a non union collective agreement,but when your looking at NO JOB, as opposed to A job, you'll vote for anything.

And therein lies the essence of Work Choices!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:55 am

Steve is good at putting spin on things, as he should be in his role. I'm not disparaging him for that.

Couple of key things in this for me.

The words "up to" in front of the $ reduction means it's a hypothetical maximum rather than a real figure.

The bit "WORKERS will no longer be entitled to representation at meetings to resolve disputes" is tricky because it doesn't mean that they can't have a representative, it means that the previous agreement was worded to state that they could and the new one doesn't have that clause. They may still be able to bring a rep to meetings regarding a dispute under company policy but that could be anyone, not necessarily a union rep. This isn't necessarily a negative for the people, it's a perceieved negative for the union as they no longer have the "right" to attend.

The part about overtime, it's very common to have clauses in industrial agreements that require people to work "reasonable" overtime.

I actually read thru the AAPT Bendigo agreement a couple of years ago and noted it was reasonably generous compared to the industry.

AAPT walked out because I assume they felt it was no longer commercially viable. That may be a case of the union doing too good a job negotiating conditions of employment.

The new employer came in with a brief to save jobs, but they aren't a charity and won't be prepared to make a loss on the exercise.

So how do you take a business that is making a loss and turn it around to at least break even or hopefully making a profit? Increase productivity and reduce costs.

AAPT decided to reduce costs by closing the centre down, the new people don't have that choice so they have to reduce costs (in part) by cutting wages.

As others said, would you rather take a pay cut or lose your job?

Last point, I'll assume Steve was mis-quoted on this bit because he doesn't deliberately lie.

Quote:
He said the deal would have failed the old industrial system's no-disadvantage test.

He knows as well as I do that the old no disadvantage test wasn't applicable in the making of a collective agreement. It was a test applicable to AWA's and compared them against the relevant Award (not agreement) to ensure that the AWA did not disadvantage the employee, overall, against the award.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Anyone who actually thinks they have rights under this legislation obviously have not read the fine print. The devil is in the detail and depsite the mega bucks being spent to let us all know how fair it is simply spin to sway voters.

Sure you cannot be sacked if you do not sign an agreement. In saying that if they turn around and say due to no work you are dismissed then that is legit. You will have ot take them to court and prove they fired you for not signing. Very hard when you have no money.

The other one about anyone under the age of 18 can have their parent or guardian read it and sign for them is a bigger joke. Your kid wants a job. Your work choice is, Sign he/she is employed. Don't sign he/she can keep looking.

Australians are dumb and apathetic by nature and have just started to wake up to these laws. Don't be fooled by Rudd either, these laws will not change they are here to stay as big buisness dictates what they require.

The laws have been used to cut back the workers who feel they have no choice but to sign. These are the workers we need safety nets for as they are most likely from poor, non english speaking areas etc.
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:

The words "up to" in front of the $ reduction means it's a hypothetical maximum rather than a real figure.

I'll remember that next time Howard/Costello remarks that workers are "up to" $x better off under Work(NO)Choices.

I have to love the current Work(NO)Choices advert on the TV at the moment. It relates to the possibility of a young worker being ripped off by an employer and the fact that there is an ombudsman who would see that this can not happen. It states that a parent/guardian has to sign off on any contract.
What it fails to mention of course is that virtually no matter what is in the contract Work(N))Choices will allow it to happen.
If you disagree with the offered contract, take it to the relevant authority, who will look at it and say "95% of this is allowed under legislation".
I'm sure the job will magically disappear if you do not sign.
Who would actually bother going to a toothless tiger?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: