Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick's Collingwood Page - A Brief History

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 8:03 am
Post subject: Nick's Collingwood Page - A Brief HistoryReply with quote

In response to Joffa's request for background info on this site:

Quote:
I hope im not boring the shit out of you here but can you do us all a favor and i know a lot of others are interested it was a talking point in the cricketers arms this year when we were all half pissed well i was the others were fully pissed.Can you give us some stats on and about nicks board i.e when it started who was the first member what was the first post that sort of stuff.

Nick's page started in 1995. It was a single page that he used mainly to keep his footy links. It was just stored on our home computer for his own use. I had a computer support business at that time and had been developing some small web sites for clients and could see the potential in the web. I needed a working site that I could use as a test bed for ideas and practice. Nick often visited the then new official site and Magpie Magic, which was, I think, the first footy site on the web and was put together by Driver who now runs Buckley Surfers). So I suggested to him that he put his page on line and that we develop it together, so he did and that's where the name came from. 'Nick's Collingwood Page' was just that - a single page on the web. That was about October 95 and Nick had just turned 11. During the off-season we developed it into a small site ready for the 96 season. A lot of that original site can still be seen in today's site.

After that it was just evolution. Some key points along the way were:

• March 97 - Introduced the first live scoreboard in Australia. The present scoreboard although slightly changed in appearance, still uses the original code written to run the first scoreboard - and we believe that it's still the fastest.
  • March 97 - Introduced the Guest Book and Bulletin Board
  • April 97 - Introduced the fan mail facility which allowed users to send fan mail from the site directly to the Club.
  • Late '97 - Created the database holding results from all home and away games since the inception of the league (VFL).

From this point on new development on the site took a back seat to its running. The amount of hands on involvement had grown enormously and was continuing to increase, so it became a matter of developing what we already had and keeping things current and operational.

In January 99 we introduced registration and forums to the bulletin board to help control ratbag elements from other clubs, protect usernames and allow moderation. Although this change came about as a result of user requests, we lost a lot of users at this time. The main complaint was that the new board was too formal and the board had lost its feel. People didn't like having to remember passwords either.

We're almost ready for a major upgrade. Hopefully during this long break we'll get a chance to completely revamp the site and bring its appearance up to date.

Justifying the money and expense has always been a problem, especially seeing that it keeps us broke enough not to be able to get to the footy. We're about to try again to offset the cost by selling email addresses. We've tried this in the past, but as soon as money is mentioned, nobody's interested. If you value the site and would like to keep it up and running, you'll support us, if not, we're wasting our time and we need a break anyway. The email system will consist of Hotmail/Yahoo type webmail accounts or will redirect to your existing email address. The cost will be about $20/year and you'll get magpies.net email addresses for that (username@magpies.net) - your usernames on here will be reserved for your use, but you can use a different one if you prefer. It would be a good idea to get in early while the popular names are still available. There will be an online order form, but I'll take username reservations whenever you like - email me.

Some stats:

The first post on the bb 12/3/97 (after a few test postings)

Early BB members. We only started registering at the beginning of last year, but the first registrations (after Nick and me) were from Tom (hasn't been seen since) and Charlie who still posts from time to time (especially when someone rips off his posts from elsewhere).

Traffic. We are currently getting between 1500 and 3000 hits a day from about 300 unique addresses. That means that about 300 people look at approx. 5 - 10 pages each, each day. For some perverse reason traffic has actually risen slightly since the end of the season, it normally dies to almost nothing at this time of the year.

If you'd like to see the old sites and the old bb messages, they are archived here.

Well - that's about it I think - any questions?
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Great to know that interesting information.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 1:10 pm

very interesting im having so much fun looking back on the old bulletin board,hey mike its a site worth payin for no probs mate
go pies.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 4:08 pm

I'll part with the wonga for email, no problem.
CJ 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 4:51 pm

I would also pay 20 bucks for an e-mail address if it helps keep this site running.

Well done Nick and Mike on creating the BEST Collingwood Web site. It is much better than the Pies Official Site.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 5:04 am

I am going to take that $20 and put it on Melbourne to win tomorrow. That should ensure I barrack heartily all day for them.

But even if they lose I will still rustle up another $20.

What are the other ways we can make the site money?
CJ 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 7:51 am

Greg,

Another way is to send Nick and Mike a bloody fat check. lol
You won't get anything in return but it would help the site.

Nick 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2000 12:10 pm

Sorry Doug, and anyone else who has tried to look at the archive.

The url has been disabled temporarily prior to the server swap. It will be up and running again once that is complete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: