Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to the new Bulletin Board

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 1999 10:42 am
Post subject: Welcome to the new Bulletin BoardReply with quote

Nick's Bulletin Board has been upgraded as part of the annual site upgrade for the new season. The new board requires initial registration and a valid email address before postings are accepted. This should help with the censorship problem, as all users will be registered and identifiable (within limits).

The board works on a forum basis and we have nominated 6 forums to start it off. We have probably missed some obvious ones, so if you think that there is a topic that needs its own forum please let us know.

All the forums are moderated (moderators have edit/delete priveleges) at the moment Nick is the moderator of all the forums, but we are happy to allow others to moderate forums if they'd like to. We will restrict moderator access to regulars with a proven interest in the Club and the Bulletin Board (for obvious reasons). e.g. The Training Forum could be moderated by GeorgeM.

We would appreciate any feedback

Mike (for Nick)
Charlie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 1999 1:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Tom, I wanted to be the first to congratulate Nick. You beat me by 2 mins.
Well Done Nick (and Dad)

Nick 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 1999 7:02 am

Thanks Russell, I loved the old board too and you may be right, but we're going to give this a go and see how it works. There were a few problems with the old bulletin board other than the occasional ratbag:

1. Threads dropped down the page as they got older and disappeared. This bulletin board brings a thread back to the top when you post a response, so popular threads don't get lost or pruned off the bottom.

2. The old bulletin board had to be pruned more frequently than I liked because it got too long and slow, this board won't have to be pruned so often (if at all) because of the layout. So you will be able to go back and read old messages.

3. There were some really gross postings on the old board that you probably never saw because they were taken off as soon as they appeared (all postings were emailed to me by the old board as soon as they were posted, so I didn't have to check it so frequently). This was difficult and time consuming. The new board allows me to bar repeat troublemakers. I promise only to use this in extreme cases.

4. On the old board you had to click on each posting separately to read a thread. Now the whole thread can be read as a thread, all on one page.

The main reason I replaced the old bulletin board was not to allow more control over postings, but to improve it.
Quote:
Now I have to register, now I have to decide which forum I have to write about, now I need a password, now I have to prove who I am.
You only have to register once, you can set the preferences so that your computer automatically includes your username and password so you don't have to type it every time you want to post a message. You can register again with a different name if you want to and turn the display of your email address off, so you can still be anonymous.

It's only January, lets give it a go and see how it works out.

Thanks for the feedback

Nick
Nick 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 1999 7:12 am

p.s. Russell, if you want to see what can happen to an unmoderated board (and remember that this board has always been moderated), go to the official Essendon Bulletin Board and read a few posts.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/bombertalk

I'm not committed to keeping the bulletin board in this format, but I am committed to giving it a go.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 1999 8:12 am

Nick,
Back for the first time since the season finished, as usual this site was first with the news (re Freeborn) Site looks magpienificent

How about a trivia question section ie: questions about past and present players, nicknames, numbers, feats of brilliance etc...

Keep up the good work.
Damien.
Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 1999 4:35 pm

Nick,

Been on holidays for a while, but back now and suitably impressed with the changes. I love the fact that all messages and replies can be seen on the same page. Although I have to agree with some others about the inconvenience of continually checking each forum for messages, it's still a big improvement from having to wait for each reply to download.

WELL DONE!

------------------
Broadie
Nick 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 1999 11:35 am

Sorry to take so long to reply to everyone on this thread, but I've finally got here.

Tom
Charlie
Doug
Tracey

Thankyou for the comments and your support it's appreciated.

Russell
Thanks to you as well. I've taken comments on board and added a new forum for anyone who doesn't want to register. This still doesn't bring the old board back, but may help you accept the new one.

Damien
..and thanking you too. If you would like a particular forum to be added, let me know and we can do it for you - if you're prepared to moderate it. It may be better just to start a 'Trivia' thread in one of the other forums.

Broadie
Last but not least... thanks. As well as the lightglobes on the opening page that alert you to new posts, there is now a link that allows you to see all the active threads in all the forums, so that you don't have to 'forum hop' to find them.

All Bulletin Board Users
The upgrade of the bulletin board is now complete with the addition of the following new features.

- Private forums. Forums that can be viewed and posted to by members holding the forum password only. If anyone would like to create a private forum please let me know - you will be responsible for the moderation.

- Non registration option for specific forums - already implemented in the 'Victoria Park Tavern' forum.

- The ability to email the URL of any thread to someone else who you think may be interested in the discussion. This option is available via a link at the beginning of each thread.

- Daily active post listing. A link on the opening page of the bulletin board allows you to see all threads in all forums that have been active in the last 24 hours.

- UBB code implementation. UBB code is like html but easier. It allows you to format your text, add links to your posts include images etc. See the UBB code link on the 'Post New Topic' or 'Reply' pages to see the help file.

I think that's about it for the moment. Please keep the feedback and the suggestions coming in.

Thanks

Nick

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 15 February 1999).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: