Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

33 dead in US University Shooting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The gun control debate is a big one, and I can see valid arguments on either side, but the simple fact is this: if guns were illegal in America, school shootings would almost certainly never happen the way they do. For me, that is good enough reason to take action.

What good are guns anyway, except in the hands of policemen and armed forces? Hunting (yawn) and protecting your house from burglars, although I'm wondering if even burglars deserve to be shot.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Unfortunately, a large number of Americans actually want greater access to firearms in the belief they can better protect themselves from such threats.
I don't believe banning guns would completely stop the killings, people will still find other means.
But it would at least make it more difficult, so I guess it's a start.

And I agree with Morrigu, changing the mindset (by no means easy) would also go a long way

Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:21 am

frankiboy wrote:
Unfortunately, a large number of Americans actually want greater access to firearms in the belief they can better protect themselves from such threats.
I don't believe banning guns would completely stop the killings, people will still find other means.

And I agree with Morrigu, changing the mindset (by no means easy) would also go a long way

A response that always seems to come from some gun-owners is "well knives kill people as well ban all knifes as well"

But the easy response is: Could Port Arthur have happened with a knife?

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:45 pm

i just watched the video that this arsehole made and posted to the press. the online news sites are making it available. it's unintelligible nonsense but does anybody else see that it's wrong to be publishing this video ? seems like they're just giving him the exposure that he was seeking and potentially encouraging the next psycho that wants the world to see his bullshit. i don't like it at all.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Yeah, in its own disturbing way, he gets to be a celebrity. But hey, the media won't care, it's a story. They love this kind of thing.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:39 pm

Didaicos wrote:
frankiboy wrote:

A response that always seems to come from some gun-owners is "well knives kill people as well ban all knifes as well"

But the easy response is: Could Port Arthur have happened with a knife?

Mate you could not have said this better. At the end of the day, they are trying to say that a knife is on par with a gun. Well if thats the case, than a gun is on par with a rocket launcher and everyone should be allowed to buy one! Stupid argument from them! The less guns in this world, the better! Guns haven't brought anything good to this world!
member34258 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Loved the email to Sunrise yesterday morning. The sender stated that cars kill more people than guns in Australia, so why don't we ban cars?
Simple answer to all these defenders of guns is a simply one word : design.
Cars are designed to transport.
Knifes are designed to cut food into smaller portions.
Guns are designed to kill. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for out esteemed PM and his statement about how much Australia hurts over the death of these Americans, can I ask where is his statement over the death of 180+ Iraqi's this morning? Innocent people at the market shopping for food. Is there a difference here?
Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:46 pm

noddy, wrote:
i just watched the video that this arsehole made and posted to the press. the online news sites are making it available. it's unintelligible nonsense but does anybody else see that it's wrong to be publishing this video ? seems like they're just giving him the exposure that he was seeking and potentially encouraging the next psycho that wants the world to see his bullshit. i don't like it at all.

You watched it.

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:04 am

Brewer's Droop wrote:
noddy, wrote:

You watched it.

yeah, correct - and i thought about "do i click on this thing or not?" and curiosity got the better of me. as i think it would with a lot of people. i know what you're saying but it doesn't negate the fact that i wish it hadn't been there in the first place. i think that a decade or so ago, the media would have done the right thing and buried it and now with this kind of stuff, it just seems like a macabre "big brother" type desire to just get any shit out there that people will go for.

it seems wrong, standards have slipped and maybe media organisations need more government regulation if they're going to pull shit like his.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:34 am

and the sicko's start coming out.....

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21589276-1702,00.html

School shooting 'copycat' on the loose

From corresponents in Los Angeles

April 20, 2007 06:27am

A MAN apparently armed with an AK-47 assault rifle had threatened to make the Virginia Tech school massacre "look mild" in comparison, Californian police said today.

Schools in the northern city of Yuba were in lockdown as a search continued for Jeffrey Carney, said Paul Parker, of the Sutter County Sheriff Department.

He told CNN Mr Carney, 28, had called his family members and a local pastor "and made statements to them that he was going to make Virginia Tech look mild in comparison, that he was armed with an AK-47 and improvised explosive devices and that he wanted to commit suicide" by being killed by a police officer.

Mr Parker said a search for the suspect was immediately launched in co-operation with four neighbouring law enforcement agencies, and the local school districts were contacted today to make them aware of the situation.

Mr Carney has been arrested several times recently on domestic violence issues and was suspected of taking methamphetamine, a powerful stimulant.

"It is apparent that he may be actually exhibiting some symptoms of methamphetamine psychosis. This is something we cannot ignore," Mr Parker said.

The threat emerged just days after 23-year-old South Korean student Cho Seung-Hui went on a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, killing 32 people before turning the gun on himself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: