Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mick Backs Bombs!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:41 am
Post subject: Mick Backs Bombs!Reply with quote

HeraldSun 6/03/03
----------------

Mick backs bombs
06 March 2003 Herald Sun
By DARYL TIMMS

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has thrown his support behind the introduction of nine-point goals for the home-and-away season.

Malthouse last night described the so-called super goal, on trial in the Wizard Cup, as outstanding and said it added a new dimension to the game.

Malthouse said the rule, giving an extra three points for goals kicked from outside 50m, could mean the end of large goal tallies from full-forwards.

He said spearheads such as Essendon's Matthew Lloyd would kick fewer goals because they would have fewer shots from within 25m of goal.

However, their scoring ability would be bolstered by nine-pointers.

But Malthouse does not support all the rules on trial in the Wizard Cup, including the three-point penalty for deliberately rushing a behind and players being forced to play on if they mark a ball kicked backwards.

He called for a countdown clock to be introduced to the game so umpires could accurately determine that a player had 15 seconds to dispose of the ball.

Malthouse said it was important for the pre-season competition to be a people's game.

"I think the rules have really stirred the imagination to the point where I must say that I thought they should be only pre-season rules, but on reflection the nine-point rule to me is outstanding," he told 3AW's Sports Tonight.

"I just have a close look at the other games, of course, that are being played around the country and everyone gets excited about was it a nine-point play ... pass the ball backwards ... and see if someone can knock it over.

"It's brought a new dimension."

Malthouse said the prospect of nine-point goals excited players and fans.

The Magpie coach said the rule that put a time limit on when a player had to kick the ball should be retained.

"That should not be tampered with," he said. "I'm all for the 10 to 12 second rule, but it's got to be 10 to 12 seconds. But let's round it off to 15."

Malthouse said there had to be a clock to accurately determine the 15 seconds rather than umpires relying on timing their heartbeat.

"We have too many umpires who have variations of their heartbeat," he said. "We'd have some at 17 and some at 10.

"You don't want to be called on to play-on after 10 or be given an extra two or three seconds."

Malthouse said the clock should start to count down as soon as a player was awarded a free kick or a mark.

"It's a wind down from 15 seconds and the public would become involved," he said. "It's a people's game."

The AFL has experimented with the play-on rule in a bid to counter sides with a small lead running the clock down in the dying minutes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: