Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What on earth is the world coming to

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:44 am
Post subject: What on earth is the world coming toReply with quote

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21439894-2,00.html

Internet mates watch live suicide

From correspondents in London

March 25, 2007 12:14am

* Father of two "goaded" to suicide
* Chatroom users watch, then call police
* Users "felt sick" after thinking it was a hoax

A FATHER of two has hanged himself live over the Internet in Britain's first "cyber suicide".

Kevin Whitrick, 42, took his life after being goaded by dozens of chatroom users from across the world who initially believed he was play acting.

But as they watched in horror, Mr Whitrick climbed on to a chair and hanged himself with a piece of rope.

Mr Whitrick was found dead by police in Wellington, Shropshire, after they were alerted by a web user.

Stunned by what they had witnessed - broadcast on a popular chatroom website used by millions across the globe - chatroom users immediately contacted the police.

Officers rushed to the man's home within minutes, smashing down the door to try to save him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

It emerged that Mr Whitrick had been suffering from depression after being badly injured in a car crash last year.

Friends said the breakdown of his marriage and the recent death of his father had also caused him great distress.

Mr Whitrick told users of web chat site PalTalk what he was going to do two hours before he killed himself on Wednesday night.

He was logged on with about 50 other users to an "insult" chatroom where people have a go at each other.

Distraught users of the site said they had felt sick and had assumed the web broadcast was a hoax.

Onlookers thought Mr Whitrick was joking so they encouraged him and told him to make sure his webcam was turned on.

Mr Whitrick switched on his webcam and went ahead with his grisly plan.

One anonymous user said: "He tied a rope around an uncovered ceiling joist and stood on the chair as he tied the rope around his neck.

"Some of us chatroom users, talking to Kevin over text chat, microphones and video tried to convince him to step down, but others egged him on telling him to get on with it.

"We just couldn't believe he was doing it - it was surreal.

"One chatter said: 'F..king do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For f..k's sake, he can't even do this properly'."

Another user who did not wish to be named said: "When Kevin stepped off the chair and was left dangling, the mood in the chatroom changed and people began to realise what they had seen.

"We were asking if anyone knew where he lived and saying they should call the police.

"I think someone contacted the police in their local area, but sadly no one could get to him in time."

Shortly after, moderators on the site closed the feed from Mr Whitrick's webcam.

He had been living in his flat after separating from his wife two years ago.

The couple, who married in 1988, had 12-year-old twins who live with their mother close by.

ANYONE with personal problems can call Lifeline on 131 114

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What disturbs me is that websites like ogrish.com (which depict footage or photographs of serious injuries and deaths) are incredibly popular at the moment, especially among teenagers. One of my friends was browsing the site on the internet one time, and I had to leave the room I was so repulsed.

This is the problem with the internet, you really can find anything and everything. While I'm not really an advocate for censorship, I think there has to be some limits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: