Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More hoon stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidents involving drivers under the influence of alcohol and drugs both legally obtained prescription drugs and illegally obtained illicit drugs are not a recent thing.

I can't quote exact figures, but I reckon in about half of the severe traumas from road accidents that turned up at our doors there was confirmed or suspected drug and or alcohol use and most involved "hoon" behaviour i.e. drag racing or stolen vehicles.

From my colleagues still working in the trauma field - it is the nature of the drugs now being used that causing the most drama

In years gone by it tended to be grass or smack - which on the whole for want of a better word "mellowed" out such folk - often to the point where they just nodded off and then bang

Now it is the amphetamine based drugs that are the flavour - ICE being the worst of the bunch! They have a very different effect on the personality and behaviour - aggression, no regard for self or others, no insight etc etc etc.

Not that any of this helps the poor buggars just going to work Evil or Very Mad

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 pm

Head-on crash driver dies

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21263387-661,00.html

A YOUNG driver involved in a head-on collision which killed two men last Friday has died in hospital, a police spokeswoman said.

As someone commented: Justice has been served. My thoughts exactly.

Shame about the two blokes he took with him though.

Hooked
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:14 am

Dale61 wrote:
Head-on crash driver dies

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21263387-661,00.html

A YOUNG driver involved in a head-on collision which killed two men last Friday has died in hospital, a police spokeswoman said.

As someone commented: Justice has been served. My thoughts exactly.

Shame about the two blokes he took with him though.

We still don't know why he drove down the wrongs die of the highway. Drugs, Alcohol or Suicide? Friend in Blue tells me they believe it was Suicide.
Gazza05 Capricorn

BRING ON SEASON 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:25 am

If it was suicide it was a bloody selfish way to go about it.
Jump off a cliff, West Gate anything but don't put other lives in danger

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:29 am

Gazza05 wrote:
If it was suicide it was a bloody selfish way to go about it.
Jump off a cliff, West Gate anything but don't put other lives in danger

Let me get this right you want someone who wants to commit suicide to be rational? Rolling Eyes If thats the case he should have gone head on with a b double. Razz You hit the nail on the head selfish.
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Speaking of Drugged and Drunk driving... Here is something that was quite close to me...

Back in 2004, 1 week before xmas, a guy from my group of friends was killed. The driver was under-age, drunk and drugged, and was driving a car that was not his. There was 3 in the car, but 1 got out saying they were being idiots (and got his life saved for it). The driver continued hooning around (if any of you know mt.eliza it was near canadian bay road... where the HUGE hill is) It was estimated that the car was doing close to 100kmh when it clipped a stationary car and spun out of control, the passanger side hitting a HUGE gum tree. The first 2 people on the scene were the best friends of the 2 in the car, as they are CFA members, and the passanger died in the arms of his best friends.

You can imagine the shock this sent thru the community...

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:26 am

The penalties handed out are not harsh enough imo.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:13 pm

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21273499-421,00.html

Forgive son, beg parents of head-on crash driver

Do they really think the families of the two Geelong guys are going to forgive, just like that!

He drove 4k's on the wrong side of the freeway after making a difficult turn onto the EXIT ramp. Sounds to me like he knew what he was doing.

Hooked
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:20 pm

I don't think he was aware of what he was doing. And we'll never know unless they release the toxicology findings.

All the families in this are grieving and it's those left behind that we must feel for, including the family of the boy who caused this. Their loss is just as significant as the other families' loss. And their grief is tempered with the knowledge that their son was the cause of this tragedy.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Perhaps there are a few exceptions.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Culprit wrote:
The penalties handed out are not harsh enough imo.

Here's an example of that.

http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21273873%255E1702,00.html

Crash driver has sentence increased

Quote:
A P-PLATE driver who crashed her car, killing one of her friends and seriously injuring two others, will spend at least six months in custody after her sentence was increased on appeal.

The 19-year-old woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had only held her provisional licence for 11 days when she lost control of her Peugeot convertible in Raglan Street, Mosman, in June 2004.

Quote:
The teenager was previously convicted in the Children's Court after changing her plea to guilty.

She was then sentenced to a maximum 18 months, with a non-parole period of two months, for one count of dangerous driving occasioning death and two counts of dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.

Therefore, she got 2 months in the slammer for taking a life, but she then had the audacity to appeal!

Quote:
In August 2006, she won the right to appeal her conviction, but in December last year, Judge Taylor upheld her conviction.

The teenager was today re-sentenced following an appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions which said the original sentence was inadequate and because substantial fresh evidence was introduced in the appeal hearing.

Judge Taylor today increased her sentence to 20 months in a juvenile justice facility with a six-month non-parole period for the charge of dangerous driving occasioning death, and eight months with a non-parole period of three months for the remaining charges.

"In my view ... a non-parole period of two months for the most serious of the offences was not an adequate sentence," Judge Taylor said.

So now, the original 2 months has been increased to 6 months, which is obviously a great comfort - NOT - to the parents who lost a daughter to know that is how much their daughters life was worth.

Quote:
The sentences will be served concurrently, meaning the teenager will be eligible for parole in August this year.

Hooked
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:28 pm

More examples of our joke of a legal system
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:56 am

Regarding the crash at Werribee, it's being reported that the driver was under the effects of liquid amphetamine.
Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: