Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

BDO in Sydney - WTF!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutmeg wrote:

thanks nomadjack for explaining things to punkologist - obviously I'm being too subtle in my messages

yes of course your so much better and more knowlegable than me. well done, hope you feel good about yourself now.

Extreme nationalism is what you are refering to. Hardly waving a flag at a rock concert FFS or hoisting one up in your front yard type of stuff is it? Nothing wrong with being patriotic and it is not an incitement to war.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between nationalism and patriotism is?

Here's what i could find: "The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does", "The first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war."
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Well i think its great how everyone is rocking up to the big day ouy draped in Aussie flags
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:56 pm

[Hardly waving a flag at a rock concert FFS or hoisting one up in your front yard type of stuff is it?]

Are you honestly suggesting that that is all that the muppets at the BDO were doing last year?

[The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does] Don't completely agree with it, but I like the quote, where does it come from?

I'd say a true patriot is prepared to criticize his/her country when it does wrong, and to admit when mistakes have been made in order to move forward and make it a better place. Unfortunately, in the current climate many who wrap themselves in the flag and masquarade as patriots are either too insecure or too stupid to handle this type of self-criticism or reflection. IMO they're not patriots at all - most couldn't tell you the first thing about this nation's history or the people who shaped it, and their behaviour goes against every value that this country used to stand for.
punkologist Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

nomadjack wrote:
[Hardly waving a flag at a rock concert FFS or hoisting one up in your front yard type of stuff is it?]

Are you honestly suggesting that that is all that the muppets at the BDO were doing last year?

not at all. but i don't think people having the flags there was responsible for it, it was the morons themselves and they would have done it even if the flag didn't exist.

nomadjack wrote:

[The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does] Don't completely agree with it, but I like the quote, where does it come from?

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2002news/hampton/h3_22_e1.htm
it was just a random site i found after typing in a search in google asking what the difference between nationalism and patriotism is. I liked the quote, it seems to clarify something i didn't quite understand.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 pm

[not at all. but i don't think people having the flags there was responsible for it]

They didn't just happen to have the flags on them, they were carrying them as a show of narrowly-based ethnic nationalism against the background of what happened at Cronulla.

["Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first," de Gaulle said. "Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." ]

Like this from the end of the article you quoted as well. Too many of the latter around at the moment for my liking, and most of it is driven from the top through dog-whistle politics.
punkologist Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:11 pm

nomadjack wrote:
[not at all. but i don't think people having the flags there was responsible for it]

They didn't just happen to have the flags on them, they were carrying them as a show of narrowly-based ethnic nationalism against the background of what happened at Cronulla.

["Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first," de Gaulle said. "Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first." ]

Like this from the end of the article you quoted as well. Too many of the latter around at the moment for my liking, and most of it is driven from the top through dog-whistle politics.

I suppose, really what im trying to get at is that, yes some morons use the flag as a symbol of their nationalism behaviour but their are also plenty of us that use it for patriotism.
member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:05 am

joffa corfe wrote:
Well i think its great how everyone is rocking up to the big day ouy draped in Aussie flags

Very thin cheap looking Aussie flags. No doubt made in China.
Way to support the country guys.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:09 am

Far out.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:11 am

member34258 wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:

Very thin cheap looking Aussie flags. No doubt made in China.
Way to support the country guys.
LOL not bad member not bad at all mate, glad to support our chinese bretheran, i guess its all a part of the global thing i find it comforting in the knowledge Australia isnt the only country in the world Smile
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Ya probably can't buy flags made in Australia. I have two flags, one bought from Aussie Disposlas and the other from my work being The Warehouse. The Aussie disposals flag is by far the better quality than the Warehouse purchased flag yet both made in China.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 pm

let's face it, what isn't made in china Razz
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 pm

David wrote:
let's face it, what isn't made in china Razz

china
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:26 pm

China isn't made in China...sounds logical
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: