Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Maccas Moves to Pasta Zoo - Wednesday 17th January

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 pm
Post subject: Maccas Moves to Pasta Zoo - Wednesday 17th JanuaryReply with quote

Quote:
Maccas pins hopes on pasta power
Julian Lee Marketing Reporter

IT COULD be the new catchcry: Mum, can we go to McGnocchi's?

McDonald's is introducing a variety of pasta-based meals to convince parents it is no longer a purveyor only of fast food.

Tomorrow it will unveil its children's pasta meals, which it hopes will eventually replace its successful Happy Meals mainstay of cheeseburger and chips.

The new range, named Pasta Zoo, will include all the elements needed to entice children: a sipper straw, tongs to pick up the food, a dipping sauce and, arguably the most powerful and contentious of all, a giveaway toy.

But despite the healthier additions to its menu, nearly 90 per cent of McDonald's $2.1 billion annual sales are for its burgers and chips. Marketers warn it faces a backlash if consumers conclude the latest initiative is little more than, as one expert dubbed it, "putting lipstick on the gorilla".

Sandy Belford, director of the branding consultants Principals, said: "They are making a huge effort and they are certainly spending a lot of money on telling us that they are doing it. But I think consumers will want to know what their ultimate game plan is, whether they want to get to the point where only half of their sales are for burgers."

At a recent product launch one of McDonald's most senior executives hinted that it would ultimately drop the burgers and chips Happy Meals. Its NSW and ACT regional manager, Raylee Joyce, said: "You offer choice to start with to encourage change to that [alternative]." Asked if McDonald's could envisage demand for the healthier product outstripping supply, she replied: "That's what we have been working hard to try and do."

The total fat content for the average serve of new pasta is 9.1 grams total fat - six grams less than the cheeseburger meal.

For once the inclusion of a toy has not angered nutritionists and groups advocating junk food bans. In the past McDonald's has come under fire for using toys to get children to pester their parents for the food. Under advertising rules the toy should be purely incidental to the message, not the main focus, as activists and parents have claimed. Last year an online poll of parents voted McDonald's the winner of the "Pester Power" award for its Happy Meals.

But Claire Hughes, food policy officer at the Australian Consumers Association, conceded there was some value in having the toy there. "There would be little point in launching the range without one. It's part of the appeal. Our concern is that they continue to push burgers and fries to children."

This article is was written in August the orignal release date, this has been moved back to this Wednesday, and i can tell you its all systems go. The product is pretty good and is expected to take off.

The new happy meal contains a 3 natural cheese\vegetable Pasta (10 pieces) with a zoo goo dipping sauce (tomato and herb) and tongs. Milk drink (180mls) with a flavoured straw and a toy.

This is a world first and is here to stay.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they use eggs in the mix (I don't). I make pasta at home, organic flour from safeway and reverse osmosis water. 3:1 ratio.

You can also be creative with pasta, I sometimes twist cracked pepper into the mix. (you can add anything finely chopped)

I finely chop oregano and fuse in olive oil.

When the pasta is cooking, I heat up canned tomatoe (organic) take of the heat, mix in oil and herb then pour over drained cooked pasta. (yum)

I do not add cheese. You all get that bloated feeling after eating pasta with cheese? That's because you have mixed protein with starch. (it's true). Do your research on traditional pasta.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 am

eddies bank balance wrote:
I wonder if they use eggs in the mix (I don't). I make pasta at home, organic flour from safeway and reverse osmosis water. 3:1 ratio.

You can also be creative with pasta, I sometimes twist cracked pepper into the mix. (you can add anything finely chopped)

When the pasta is cooking, I heat up canned tomatoe (organic) take of the heat, mix in oil and herb then pour over drained cooked pasta. (yum)

I do not add cheese. You all get that bloated feeling after eating pasta with cheese? That's because you have mixed protein with starch. (it's true). Do your research on traditional pasta.

Traditional? As a 2nd generation Italian I can assure you that right through to my great great grandparents the majority of us use cheese (parmaggiano or my favourite pecorino) with our pasta dishes.
While your recipe sounds lovely and I'm sure it tastes great using cracked pepper might be 'creative' as you say but it ain't traditional.
And where's your garlic and basil, the two most basic and traditional ingredients in any tomato based sauce. As for the bloating, like Tony Soprano would say, eh.. whattaya gonna do? My sugggestion would be to have a nice glass of red wine Wink

member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm

eddies bank balance wrote:

Organic?
No such thing exists in australia. You, along with thousands of others, are being conned into forking over double the price you should pay. There is no uncontaminated farm soil in Oz, so there can be no such thing as "Organic".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Home grown and vine ripened, it's the only way to go Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 pm

The question is, will the kids actually like it? I don't mind eating my vegies these days, but even so I can't say the pasta looks particularly appealing Laughing
Has McDonald's said what they're going to do if Cheeseburgers still make them more money in the end? I can't see them continuing something which compromises their profits, which in the end is their only goal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:18 pm

oh c'mon David, didn't you know their only goals were to look after disadvantaged children and to make sure we all live long lives eating a well balanced and healthy diet.
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:31 am

pretty sure that the pasta is more expensive to buy than the cheese so they gain greater money gain out of it, so even if they work on changing one in five kids to the pasta im sure they will be happy. In the end we will find out in a month or so. Most of the new implements that they have brought in have been successful, just wait for dinner meals comming soon.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: