Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leon Davis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed from WA Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:23 am
Post subject: Leon DavisReply with quote

This was in sundays paper.
MG managed to copy it and posted on Hottys board.

Perth Sunday Times
Edition 1 - StreetSUN 26 JAN 2003, Page 087
Ready to ignite
By JACKIE EPSTEIN

Neon Leon fired up after
Grand Final letdown
LEON Davis admits he has not come back to pre-season training in peak condition.
He enjoyed his rest after a long season that ended on the flattest possible note on Grand Final day after Collingwood's narrow loss to Brisbane.
The Magpie's name appeared at the bottom of the stats sheet with an ignominious line of zeroes. There were three tackles in the final column but it was hardly a match to savour.
``I'm improving,'' Davis said last week of his physical condition.
``I came back a bit unfit but I wasn't injured. I just had a few sore spots. I want to get to the midfield and I'm working pretty hard to get there.
``I feel I've stepped up an extra notch playing finals last year and you'll always benefit from that.
``I reckon my game has (matured) over the past two or three seasons now I've gotten used to how the game is. It took me a while at first to get into it.''
While most Grand Final observers speculated he was carrying a calf injury for the 43 minutes he spent on the ground against Brisbane, Davis said this was not the case.
More likely, his poor last game was a result of fatigue after his longest season since starting at the club in 2000.
``I was just a bit tired and it was a long season,'' he said. ``Obviously, coming to Collingwood the first two years I didn't do that well and last season dragged on a bit because we hadn't played finals before.
``But I didn't have any injuries. I just need to do a bit better than last year and be more consistent.''
Davis has hardly been sighted over summer, having headed home to Perth before spending most of the off-season in Adelaide meeting his girlfriend's family.
The rumour going around at the time was that he had left the club and returned home permanently.
``I enjoy it here and I'm not going back,'' Davis said.
``The Grand Final loss was hard and is in the back of everyone's minds, and everyone's disappointed we lost. It just makes us want it more.''
Last season was undoubtedly a turning point for Davis, who kicked 31 goals from 23 games as a dangerous goal sneak, despite suffering from lower-leg stress fractures during the year.
He spent little time in the midfield but hopes to play more in the centre of the ground this season.
If he is to do so, especially with Brownlow medallist Shane Woewodin coming to the club, he knows it has to be through an improvement in his strength and fitness.
Although he is only 21, Davis has already played more than 50 games. At Collingwood, which is ahead of most clubs in the nurturing of young players, that total qualifies him for senior-player status, and he hopes to set an example for the rookies coming through.
``There's a lot of talent at the club with all the young blokes,'' he said. ``The oldest guy is Bucks (Nathan Buckley), who's 30 . . . so it's just a real young team and I have to step up.''
Unlike Nick Davis, who decided to head home to Sydney late last year, Leon is happy to stay in Melbourne.
He hopes to remain at Collingwood and has just bought a house in Thomastown. It will be home to his parents for most of the season.
``It's hard when you are away from home and I miss home, but I like it here,'' he said.
``I just want to be consistent and I'm happy to work hard -- twice as hard -- to take the next step.''

magpie willow 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ONYA NEON LEON OH OH NEON LEON OH OH

Cheers
Will.

THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! THERES ONLY 1 NATHAN BUCKLEY! STRUTTIN HIS STUFF! KICKIN SOME BUTT! WALKIN IN A MAGPIE WONDERLAND!

Murray 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:59 am

Ed - What do you think about Leon?
Do you think he will ever get consistency or will he be used predominently as a "burst" player a bit like Farmer is/was.
I am not so sure what he is capable of, he could be anything.
Some of the things he does when he comes off the bench are unbelievable. Would he be able to do those things if he was on the ground for the entire game?

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

Ed from WA Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:26 am

I hope he makes it,but he has to battle his weight,if he loses his speed he is in trouble.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:17 am

NEON LEON! NEON LEON! NEON LEON!

I hope he is back better than ever. I want to see him fit enough to play in the midfield.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

May the Magpies Prosper!
Greg J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: