Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pension Police

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 am
Post subject: Pension PoliceReply with quote

Quote:
The Age 12/10/06
AN ARMY of "pension police" will be given search and seizure powers to raid the homes of millions of Australians on welfare and family payments.

The fraud detection regime would apply to the 2.2 million households on family tax benefits and those on the dole, student payments, disability benefits and aged pension.
The Howard Government has proposed the powers in legislation being considered by the Senate.

..and if you have nothing to hide >
Quote:
If errors were made, people would have to go to court at great expense to correct them, he said. Such people would likely have little money, may not speak English well, and "be at the mercy of the officers in question".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/pension-police-to-get-search-powers/2006/10/11/1160246197018.html

...what next !

-speech police ?
-moccasin police ?
-internet download police ?

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont be as if any customer service officer would be doing these searches. There are specific national teams that deal closely with the fed pols on all these sorts of fraudulent incidents and certain certificates and education has to take place before you can even join one of these teams.

They are also not going to just barge into any tom dick or harry's home, Centrelink gets thousands of "dob in's" each year, and some of these can result in a huge refund of YOUR money, "tax payers money".

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:12 pm

~Madness~ wrote:
It wont be as if any customer service officer would be doing these searches. There are specific national teams that deal closely with the fed pols on all these sorts of fraudulent incidents and certain certificates and education has to take place before you can even join one of these teams.

They are also not going to just barge into any tom dick or harry's home, Centrelink gets thousands of "dob in's" each year, and some of these can result in a huge refund of YOUR money, "tax payers money".

i just got a refund from them myself from about 4 years ago.......$1300 in my pocket thank you very much.....told me i owed them money for family payment....i was struggling at the time (not to mention being off work sick for a month without any pay - and none from Social Security!) and paid them $50 a fortnight to get rid of the debt, 4 years later they decide I didn't owe them the money after all and here ya go (when i don't need it) here's your hard earned cash back.......where's the interest?

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Family tax benefit is so hard to work out. You almost have to over estimate your income each year to avoid the over payments. If it wasn't such a large volume type payment, fortnightly estimations would be a lot easier. But it is literally impossible to do with FTB.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 pm

~Madness~ wrote:
Family tax benefit is so hard to work out. You almost have to over estimate your income each year to avoid the over payments. If it wasn't such a large volume type payment, fortnightly estimations would be a lot easier. But it is literally impossible to do with FTB.

This was just the family allowance (pre FTB) up to when 2000.

eddies bank balance 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:52 pm

Oh boy! I think you both missed the point. A little clue; it's not about money.

..click on the link and read the whole article.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:13 pm

eddies bank balance wrote:

So what sort of evidence would they be looking for? I am trying to work out what I might need to hide Razz

But I would love to see them come and raid my place Twisted Evil
eddies bank balance 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

So what sort of evidence would they be looking for? I am trying to work out what I might need to hide Razz

But I would love to see them come and raid my place Twisted Evil

LoL, it's not exactly about "looking for evidence"..in any case, if they wanted to find something in your house, whether it be there or not....

The concern as mentioned in the article, is obtaining immediate 'search warrant'...as soon as they gain entry into your home, well, who know's what they may find?

Pension Police is a stepping stone, be paranoid if you like, or see reality.

LIKE IT OR NOT ~ time is moving very quickly so keep your eye's open. Rolling Eyes

bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:34 am

Tess wrote:

Surely your not surprised these two missed the point! These two have a history of hijacking threads with their own um... dare I say agenda's!

I'll be honest I don't agree with these public servants(speaking of those two again... Wink surely Not), entering your home does concern me. I think they should at the least be accompanied by a member of the State Police Force.

Gee, now that's what those two are up to......Lucky you've never been guilty of threadjacking with your own agenda Tess. Wink
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:40 pm

oh gosh, now i'm a public servant????? i think the last time i was a public servant was about 30 years ago when i worked for the commonwealth bank.

Tess, if your going to hijack threads and attack people, make sure you have your facts right (something that quite often goes missing in your posts).

You can now stop the attacks on me Tess.

Oops, did i hijack this ??

Now, Eddie's bank balance, i had read the article, i didn't miss any points, however, i was responding to Madness's post, hence why i quoted it, pointing out how wrong Centrelink often is.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Plan to raid welfare cheats dumped

A PLAN to grant Centrelink officers the legal power to raid the homes of suspected welfare cheats has been dumped by the Federal Government

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/plan-to-raid-welfare-cheats-dumped/2006/11/21/1163871404925.html

Sarah Smiles
November 22, 2006

A PLAN to grant Centrelink officers the legal power to raid the homes of suspected welfare cheats has been dumped by the Federal Government.

Federal Human Services Minister Joe Hockey said Centrelink had instead reached an agreement with the Australian Federal Police to more effectively combat welfare fraud.

Centrelink had lobbied for the power to search properties and seize documents, arguing before a Senate committee that the AFP was too overstretched with terrorism concerns to respond quickly to welfare fraud offences.

But the AFP expressed reservations about the ability of Centrelink's officers to carry out raids, which would require training, said Democrats Senator Andrew Bartlett, a committee member.

Mr Hockey said he was assured both parties would now co-operate more effectively to curb fraud over the dole, family payments, aged care pension and disability and student benefits. "The AFP and Centrelink will develop a new service level agreement to cover the operational requirements for the execution of search warrants in Centrelink fraud cases," he said yesterday.

The search and seizure legislation was strongly opposed by Labor MPs and welfare groups.

"The Government already has significant powers to detect and prosecute welfare fraud, and mounted no real argument over the need for these new powers," said Labor's Senate leader, Chris Evans, yesterday.

"Any one of the 2 million families receiving family tax benefit payments could have had their home searched and property seized under the powers proposed by the Howard Government."

A Centrelink employee in turn argued in a submission to the committee that Centrelink's existing fraud unit would misuse the powers because of an adversarial culture that had prejudiced staff against welfare recipients.

Michael Raper, president of the National Welfare Rights Network, said yesterday: "It's a rare piece of good news for Centrelink clients. It was an unjustified grab for power that Centrelink should never have."

Last edited by Proud Pies on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Centrelink have been working with the fed pols a long time, especially with ID fraud. But it looks as though the SLA is going to become more in depth from that article. Ties are strengthening all the time it seems.

The "cash economy" projects are worked together with fed pols, imigration and centrelink.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:38 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

A PLAN to grant Centrelink officers the legal power to raid the homes of suspected welfare cheats has been dumped by the Federal Government

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/plan-to-raid-welfare-cheats-dumped/2006/11/21/1163871404925.html

wish they'd make up their friggin minds.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Centrelink-fraud-powers-increased/2006/11/28/1164476205269.html

Centrelink fraud powers increased
November 28, 2006 - 9:21PM

Centrelink's powers to investigate welfare fraud have been strengthened with legislation passed in the Senate.

The measures, first introduced as part of this year's budget, also provide assistance to domestic violence victims and some pensioners living in rural areas.

Centrelink officers will now have the power to search and seize material which could be later used to prosecute fraud cases.

Previously the Australian Federal Police (AFP) would carry out the investigations.

The Families Community Services and Indigenous Affairs and Veterans Affairs Legislation Amendment (2006 Budget Measures) Bill 2006 also provides assistance to some pensioners living on larger residential blocks in rural areas.

Under certain circumstances, pensioners will be exempt from an assets test even though their home may be on land greater than two hectares.

The bill also allows for a crisis payment to people suffering financial hardship after being subjected to domestic violence.

This could occur in cases where the family member responsible for the domestic violence has been removed leaving the victim without income.

Before a person choosing to remain in the family home did not qualify.

© 2006 AAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: